Blount Country Wrestling

Guest UT2002

Has any wrestler from Blount County ever won a State Championship? If memory serves me right I think the highest anyone has placed from BC was Tim Townshend, who placed second twice to McCallie's George Lewis, and Scott Jones from Maryville who placed 3rd in 1996. Has any body else from BC placed in the top 3?

I think you have it right on. Scott was the highest placing Maryville Wrestler. Maryville also had Donnie Amburn who placed 5th @ 171 twice his Jr and Sr year. They had a kid place 2 years ago at 160 his name leaves me. I had the great opportunity to coach Scott Jones with Coach Humphrey back in 1996 and it was a pleasure working with a heavyweight that worked as hard as Scott did. Does anyone know what Scott is doing if so please tell him Coach Miller asked about him.

Thanks

Last I heard he was working in Chicago, traveling to New York during the week as a consultant. I think he was supposed to get married soon, or is already married.

I agree about his work ethic, and he was also one of the most intelligent wrestlers I've seen. Any other year he would have had made the finals. 1996 was a tough year for heavyweights, and would probably rank near the top all time for the 275 weight class just behind the Bubba Miller years and when Bill Wonderlick won his championship. The State winner was ranked the # 1 Greco Roman wrestler, but couldn't compete in the nationals because of troubles with the law, and the guy from Greenville who finished 2nd, placed 8th in the nation in the national high school championships.

Scott was probably the best overall wrestler Maryville has ever had, and wrestled on Maryville's best team. The 1996 team would have undoubtedly finished in the the top 3 of the small schools division, but a freak snow storm kept the team from traveling. I think Jones was very underrated, and wrestled in a time when Public and Private schools were in one division. He probably would have been a better college wrestler if he pursued it.