Ashley Shields

brownhut

She's a good shooter and I've mentioned it a dozen times...she is just TOO strong for this level...she can penetrate at will with two or even three defenders on her then she just explodes over them at the goal...usually slapping backboard over one or two girls. No one in the district tries to play man against Melrose which would be okay if Ashley wasn't on the team...she is just good. Melrose actually plays Craigmont tonight in a game that was previously cancelled due to snow. I know my girls can beat them...I just don't know if they can stop Ashley. And Melrose is a very good defensive team so if they hold you to 50 and Ashley scores 40 and the rest of the team scores just 15 combined, you have lost. That's reality, people. However, this is going to be avery good game...featuring the top sophomores in the city against THE TOP SENIOR possibly in the state...should be lots of college coaches in the crowd...that's what I was told. :o

You're right. Jessica Jackson is another very good sophomore and one of the best centers in the country in the class of 2005. The other Craigmont sophomore is Phyllisha Mitchell who was averaging a double double was in the top ten in scoring a couple of games ago (21ppg) and was leading the city in rebounding (17rpg). These could have changed since the Commercial Appeal last put them in there but I know she had a 28 point, 26 rebound effort week before last against Central. She plays AAU with Latoya and Jessica and started for the Memphis Showboats team.

Yes other people shoot...but Melrose has a young team full of freshmen who are still getting used to the competition. They are not the best freshmen in the city either so they're not doing as well as some of the others in the city or state. By the way, Craigmont played Melrose in a zone, caught Ashley in one of those "off" shooting nights and held her to 18 or 20 which would be a good night for most. Craigmont's super sophs pulled the upset by almost 30 I think. They are now 16-3. GO CHIEFS!!!!!! :D;);)

Guest thelane

How do you think Houston vs. Melrose would end up? Houston plays possibly the best zone defense in the state. Ashley is a great player and it shows she is not always enough, by herself.

It depends. Craigmont didn't just play a regular zone (and to be fair I won't tell their stragtegy for Ashley). Most teams play her in a zone anyway and she can still penetrate the gaps and hit 15ft jumpers and threes at will. She's one of the best that I have seen doing this. Also, Ashley is so strong, she can post up almost anyone plus no post player I know (except for East's Whitney Woodard) has the speed or jumping ability to guard her down low. Houston should be okay if their zone is as good as you say it is because of all the height that they have. But, I will give Craigmont a lot of credit, my girls have played against Ashley for two and three years now, even though they are 10th graders. They play her in the summers, they play with her, against her, whatever...they are simply not intimidated anymore, and if any other team can not be in awe of her when they play Melrose, they could win. Craigmont has speed and strong posts players too, plus Melrose lives off of offensive boards and Craigmont has two of the best rebounders in the city, one averaging double digits since last year so they didn't give up any offensive boards. (its kinda hard not to be in awe of Ashley---even if you are playing because she does AMAZING stuff during the game!) ;) My advice to Houston----DO NOT TRY TO RUN WITH THEM! And press some to keep Ashley from being dominant in the half court.

[Edited by caramelcutiepie on 1-30-03 10:09A]