Title IX

Redtwin

Posted by Time2Play:

I do support females in having the same opportunity as males. However, I also believe that males should have the same opportunity as females. Example: At our school we have had females from time to time come out for football. While they will not allow a boy to play volleyball. Granted, volleyball is a female sport sanctioned by TSSAA. My understanding of Title IX guaratees the same amount of sport opportunities for males and females. Well at our school if you do not allow boys to play volleyball, and you do allow girls to play football, that is giving the females more sports to play than the males because every other sport we have allows for a girls team in the same sport. :confused:

Good Mark for you Time2Play.

I`ve often wondered about the same thing. I wish a group of guys at some school would band together and go out for the volleyball team and force someone`s hand on this. There is no way an all girl`s team could beat a team of decent male athletes.

Instant state title.

I wish some one could explain to me why boys can`t go out for the volleyball team. If I`m not mistaken, girl`s are allowed to try out for football.

Yeah I really wish a group of boys would get together and try out for their school`s team. If for no other reason other than they are "entitled" to do so.

VG

"Get your STAR! Best 12 bucks by far." :(

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mission of all colleges and universities is education. There should be no scholarships given for any reason other than need based to all qualified students or maybe a couple of academic scholarships. It is just not the mission of schools to subsidize any athlete, male or female. A history student should not have to pay extra money so that a school can give athletic scholarships.

Sports should be entirely extra-curricular.

[Edited by deadhead on 2-26-03 2:10P]

sorry pioneer.

No one has ever gotten an education because of an athletic scholarship. Everyone gets an education the same way. They go to class, do homework, write papers and take exams. In other words they work for it. Many have gotten the OPPORTUNITY for an education because of athletics.

The question is whether a person with a lower GPA and Test scores deserve to opportunity for an education over another student because they can run faster or jump higher. We all know that answer....No!

Now turn your attention to Title IX, and football. For example only I take UT Knoxville as an example. Many other schools will present the very same paradigm. What is the graduation rate for the football team?....somewhere under5%. The athletes are given the opportunity for an education and are blowing it. They skip class and have tutors do their work. This is not a one year isolated problem, but an ongoing sham.Football occupies between 20 and 30 scholarships per year. Now look at women's basketball. The graduation rate is close to 100% every year. Who is using the opportunity for education better? But they only have 5 or so scholarships per year.

Anyone that has limited resources likes to use them optimally. My taxpayer opinion is with the women.

Forgive me, but I still believe that a student that prepares themselves academically in high school should be given favor over one that does not do so. I am not saying to do away with competitive collegiate sports. On the contrary, they should be expanded. I think participation in these sports adds greatly to the education obtained.

However I think admissions to universities should focus only on the academic promise of each student. Financial aid would then be given on the basis of financial need with a few given on solely academic status. The same number of students would be attending the university but hopefully the opportunity for education is given to the most deserving. I think that the majority of current athletes would still be there. And hopefully any with financial need would get that also. Kids from rich families must be prepared academically but would not get financial aid. Kids from poor families must also be prepared academically and they would get the financial aid they need.

The problem that I have with titleIX is the way money is split. If I am not mistaken, only 30-40% of the money generated from football can be spent on football. Yet 100% of the football players count towards the total used to create "Equality" for women. Leave football out of it and I have no problem with it. The same law that applies to college athletics also applies to high school athletics. Lots of high schools are in violationof this law but for some reason it is not applied at the HS level.

Deadhead, scholarships are given for accademics. You just don't have a national signing day for the smart ones. As a matter of fact I bet more are given for academics than for athletics. I don't know this as fact but am willing to bet it is a bit higher.

"For those whom much is given, much is expected."

For a student given a full ride, plus tutors, favorable profs, and crip courses, I expect 75 to 80% graduation rate. This is most of Div I. Div IAA is really more like Div II.

For NAIA, Scholarsip Div. and Div II there are not a lot of "extra perks" and I would expect a graduation rate slightly above the university avg.

For Div III and non-scholarship schools, I expect the university avg graduation rate.

[Edited by deadhead on 2-27-03 11:44A]

The NCAA news did a huge article last week concerning all the possible changes in the way IX is adminstered. There were something like 20 potential changes and the proposals were voted on as well. They were going to continue looking at the changes based on the proposals that were accepted by the committee. The proportionality issue came up almost half the time concering the administration or compliance of IX. It looks like they are on the right track to fix it, as mentioned I agree that the proportionality rule is the biggest problem. Two of the things mentioned were to help proportinality were to only count full time regular college age students and not all students non-traditional and half time students. The other area dealt with taking walk-ons out of the participation side of the equation since they are not using any scholarships. I have been watching this since I started coaching in college over ten years ago, I hope they finally get it straightened out.

I am speaking from an position of what I see as the mission of an institution of higher education. It is only my opinion. I see big time college football being way out of balance and moving farther away. With big time college football, I mean 30 or so schools that really define it.

The remainder of the Div I-A schools seem to be chasing them and going further awry. There are a few schools that seem to be closing in on the ideal..i.e.Stanford, Notre Dame, and sometimes Northwestern. They educate the STUDENT-ATHLETEand win.

I see the very poor performance of Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma and I scream....REFORM. Something must be done to adjust the attitudes at those schools. Loss of scholarships and firing the coaches are the most logical. I don't expect the changes overnight but we better see improvement every year.

I am afraid it is a lost cause!

Philosophically I cannot justify purely athletic scholarships. It seems to me that it rewards the unscrupulous program that marginalizes the student. And the student is the primary reason for the existance of colleges and universities. To date, women's sports seems to have juggled successfully the dual role. This is probably due to the lack of opportunities for women to participate in professional sports.

We must face the fact that Title IX is the real reason that womens sports exist to their current level in colleges. The loss or watering down of Title IX will punish the very programs that seem to be functioning the best.

If athletic scholarships were eliminated, the entire argument for Title IX would diminish. Schools would only have to satisfy the student demand for athletic opportunities. The bad operators would leave sport all together and sport would revert to a more appropriate level.