Question

redandblack63

Here's the language from the TSSAA Handbook that prohibits a High School Coach from also coaching the ladies during the Select Season.

5. Girls Soccer - - The first practice date is the Monday of the week of August 1; the date of the first contest is the Monday of the last full week in August; the maximum number of matches is 15; the maximum number of tournaments is three with each tournament counting as two matches; no off-season practice is permitted; in the summer there is a maximum of 10 days of school-against-school competition exception - - there os a two-week dead period the week preceding the Fourth of July and the week of the Fourth of July. (from 2002-03 TSSAA Handbook, p. 25)

Definitions

1. Practice - - Coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc. going on. (from 2002-03 TSSAA Handbook, p. 27)

[Edited by KeithHamilton on 2-6-03 3:14P]

I understand the rule about practice I didn't make mysy question clear. The coach that plans to coach the team gives two reasons why it is o.k.

1. He is an assistant and the rule only applies to head coaches.

2. Although the majority of the team is from the school that he coaches at he says that because he has a few girls on the team from other schools it is o.k.

Is this correct. I don't think so. I am trying to convinence him without having to go to the A.D. HELP!

I dealt with this question a couple of years back. At that time I called TSSAA and was told "No." If this coach is "officially" a part of the coaching staff for the High School, regardless if they are the Head Coach or not, then they cannot coach their players in the "off-season." I coach a select team and have had an offer from an assistant coach of a High School team to act as my assistant. Some of his High School players play for me and consequently he cannot assist me with our Select Team. If anyone still has any doubts, just call TSSAA. Better safe than sorry.

• 1 month later...

Reread my previous post. My understanding would still be, "NO." Is this volunteer "officially" a part of the High School coaching staff or just a parent or another person that helps out with the training, etc. If they are a part of the school's coaching staff and are recognized as such by the school and TSSAA, then the answer is no. The best thing to do is not to take my word on it, but to contact TSSAA. On their website they have a link that allows you to send questions to them for answer if you do not want to call. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.