public/private split

THECOLONEL

Go to the TSSAA website and look up the past champions in softball. You can really only compare A and AA since there are no private schools in AAA and no Public schools in D2. As far as domination, is it by one private school or are all public schools dominated by privates? I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you go only by state championships, then obviously privates have had the upper hand. However, I have always competed against these schools (winning and losing). I can see where they could have an advantage against a community school with limited players and facilities, but that always just made me want to work harder to prove it could be done.

Any team with at least one good pitcher has the potential to be competitive, regardless of whether or not the school is public or private. Many public schools do have good pitchers. There are also some private schools that do not have an outstanding pitcher, and consequently, find it harder to compete. Since only nine players can be on defense, and only one batter at a time can hit, what difference does it make if a school is public or private? Good players can be found on both.

I think the main difference is the geographic area that eac type of school has to recruit from. A private school, especially one with a solid FP reputation, has a much larger "pool" to work with. A public school has only those kids that are in it's designated area.

There is one interesting case I can think of. Hume Fogg Academic in Nashville. Being a public magnet school it has a larger talent pool than other public schools it's size. That school has no athletic facilities to speak of. No sports fields, no functional gym, etc. but it manages to put together competitive teams year after year. It is kind of a hybrid public school, getting kids from all over the county.

HFA competes directly with David Lipscomb. They are alway "the team to beat". A public/private split would make life much easier for HFA but they would also lose a great incentive to improve. To be the best you need to play the best.

JMHO!

Butch :o:D

I believe what Coach is referring to in using the word recruit is the pool from which he draws from, not actually recruiting players to come to your school.

However, each coach still has to "recruit" or encourage players to play. With so many activities pulling at them, it may be difficult for a student to make the commitment to play. I know of one player who has decided to pursue other extra-curricular activities besides softball. That is unfortunate for her team, for she was an excellent softball player. She led her team in HR's as a freshman.

I think he makes some excellent points. I hope those in charge will consider both the pros and cons. I think it will hurt everyone if they actually make the split, imo.

Thanks Khopkins, you translated my poor wording very well. I have watched Coach Davis at Lipscomb for the past 4 years. He is an excellent coach, with a great reputation, at a well respected school. This sets him up much like a good travel ball coach.

Consider:

You have a DD who lives and loves FP. Next year she will be a freshman in HS at the local zoned facility. They have had a different coach the last 3 years with the current one being the asst. wrestling coach. You can let DD go to her zoned school and hope the FP program gets better OR being the loving parent you are, you can shell out some bucks and send her to a good school with the above mentioned "KNOWN" program.

NO RECRUITING NECESSARY!!!! Coach Davis will always have an edge on the public school as far as prospective players. Is that a good thing or a bad thing???? depends on how we fair against them this spring :D

Butch

:)