DI v. DII - Champion Challenge

pantheon

Sorry, I had to go make a living, but back to entertainment. There's a board "Public-Private Split" where the arguments go around and around and around if you feel the need to get on that treadmill and debate an issue with no solution. The question wasn't is the public private split a good idea the question was "Why won't Bradly wrestle Baylor or McCallie".

From a Nashville perspective, I just wanted to know. Apparently the question itself makes some people a little nuts. However, from what I can ascertain, McCallie was accused of cheating seven years ago however Baylor didn't. McCallie paid the ultimate price and could not field a wrestling team for awhile.

So it's now Coach Logsdon's position to never allow his wrestlers to wrestle McCallie students because the school cheated seven years ago.

So why won't he let his guys wrestle Baylor students?

[Edited by takedown3 on 2-13-03 5:23P]

[Edited by takedown3 on 2-13-03 5:45P]

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smwwrest, this was my point exactly. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want their kids to get the best competition possible. I can understand and admire people that stand by their beliefs and morals but ones that are taking it on the chin are the wrestlers. This shouldn't be a finacial aid or recruting issue. Lets just have a good ole wrasslin match.

the reason for not wrestling baylor is the perception by coach logsdon that baylor recruited brad lane ,alias duckunderboy, and the truth of that matter as posted a page earlier on this thread by brad - that is not the case -now let's not duck the issue here I am a supporter of Baylor and if @ a wrestling event you quizzed me on questions about baylor's admissions I would provide you with all the positive information I could- not unlike someone asking questions to a supporter for Bradley ,Soddy, etc. -I don't work for Baylor but think it's a great opportunity and i'll tell you that -Is that recruiting

Brad spent his 7th,8th, and 9th grade years at Baylor -for personal reasons he is back in school at Bradley -I know for a fact you would be hard pressed to find anyone from the Baylor community that wouldn't wish him well - hope this clears up some of your questions - jim t

Since Brad Lane has now confirmed that he wasn't recruited by Baylor and praised for his post by both Baylor and Bradley supporters, why is it that Bradley won't wrestle Baylor?

I'm not sure that the Bradley folks were praising him for his frankness about not being recruited or the dig he took at McCallie. I suppose 3 years of wearing red might influence your opinion on that score.

Takedown3,

I know for a fact that Blair can't beat Creagan because I have wrestled them both and Creagan is much better. Being a former Baylor wrestler I still consider McCallie as one of my rivals. And of course I'm going to pick Bradley to win against McCallie because I go there.McCallie has a good team this year but, they are not quite on the same level as Bradley. They have to many holes in their upper weights and their stronger lower weights(which they depend on)can be equally matched by Bradley's. That is the reason I do not believe McCallie has that much of a chance.But we will never know.

Brad Lane

Guest 1moretime

is financial aid not a benefit to go to a school. i believe you said yes. that is the difference. public schools can not give benefits to let kids come to their school. i can tell you this, i was recruited to college and the first thing the coach said was we need to find out how much finacial aid we can get you. and then they would work out the scholarship!! and trust me that was the same as recruiting because guess what i went to the school that i got the most money and it so happen i recieved less of a scholarship than any other schools but more finacial aid!!!!

yes financial aid is a benefit -just as tax payers dollars to support a year of public education is a benefit to each student enrolled - actually the burden (were there no private schools) and all of those students deposited in the public school system would be overbearing - you see all of those students parents are already paying their taxes and then turning around and paying tuition because thats their CHOICE

No interest in debating public school vs. private school--no point. The issue is coaches choosing not to wrestle other schools that could be strong competition for their wrestlers. In other parts of the state, I have seen coaches not wrestle other high schools for a variety of reasons (DI v. DII is just one of them). This happens at the youth level also-- the TN AAU kids state is always (with the expection of one year that I can remember) scheduled on the same Saturday as the FCI TN kids state tournament. There are even less quality youth wrestlers in this state, than high school wrestlers, but the two tournaments have to be on the same weekend??? While the adults act like kids in this state, the wrestlers suffer--whether in high school or at the youth level. We have too little quality wrestling in this state to have all these divisions.

Guest INTHECIRCLE

smwwrest

you pinned it!! go to some matches the adults act like little kids (egos, jealousy??, in whose best interest are they acting) and the kids act like men, win or lose most of the time.

all participants good luck at state!!