Best soccer formation?

Score7

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread. Your formation has to vary depending on the number and skills of your players and the power of your opponent. A standard 4-4-2 is a great place to start but do you play your backs in a diamond (sweeper/stopper-easier to learn) or flat (complicated-probably not in high school)? If the other team is less athletic or skilled you can move one midfielder forward (4-3-3) or,if they are stronger than you, the reverse(5-3-2). Sometimes, and this isn't fun soccer for either team, if you play against a vastly superior team you need to consider cantanacio- a full out defensive scheme (roughly, 5-4-1)- to (hopefully) keep the game close counting on opportunities for a sell out attacks only once or twice each half. All out defense like that is ugly, boring and frustrating soccer to the superior team and a completely nerve wrecking experience for the weaker team but it can help equalize the legitimate scoring chances for the weaker team if done well.

Hoya, Great response. Although the 3-5-2 can be frustrating to play against, to counter a 3-4-3 dependent on your backs should work. Specially if the backs are used as flank runners okay. The rule of thumb is you a going to defend with three they have to be men among boys or women among girls. The 5-4-1 is an all out defense formation, I think Italy is the one who made that formation famous in 1982 against brazil the world cup semi finals. However the french in Euro 2000 did find a way to penetrate the italian defense using a 2-5-3 for the last ten minutes of the game (bad idea for a whole game) ;)

the best formation i have seen is a 4-3-3 which i play with my club team. if done correctly this poors goals in. the four we play with are flat back though i think it could work with a sweeper stopper. the 3 midfielders are all central, 2 holding and one attacking. one forward is on each wing must like an outside midfielder and the third striker is a central target player. this is formation is very fun to play though i dont think many high school teams would have the time to get it down in one season.

yea man, it took my club team forever to learn the flat four, and now it works great. but it took a lot of time to learn it and a very skilled team. if ur high school team is gonna try it, ur coach should be able to teach it well because it is hard to learn after years of using the diamond formation. if u can do it right, it is a more effective offensive formation (with outside backs going up) than the diamond.

• 1 month later...

last season we played a 4-3-3. it worked horribly at firtsb/c our main central midfielder was extremely offensive minded. it wasn't the best formation for the talent we had but we rode our talent to the final eight. this season we have a new coach and a new formation 3-5-2. i think this would have been a better formation for last years squad because of all the offensive talent at midfield. but for now were having to get used to it. i think we can really do some damage in this system. and yeah that 5-4-1 is a apin tolpay against. last year hixson used it to keep every game they played close.