Division II Rankings

CoachT

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Accurate, CoachT. Unfortunately, the way D2 does their sectionals these four will not make it to the final 4 (in other words, 2 really good teams out of those four will have to play one another at the sectionals from what I have heard down here). Supposedly, Middle 2 will have to face West 2. That's too bad. A great team will not get to go.

I'll take a stab at rounding out the top 8:

5. Webb Knoxville

6. Hutchison

7. Harding

8. Baylor (bad record/tough schedule)

Webb was hard for me to rate. The Memphis schools all play each other, for the most part, while Webb understandably doesn't. When you can look at the head-to-head matchups it makes it a lot easier. Obviously, I haven't seen that many schools around the state play in any classes but if I have seen a few then I can work down the list using common opponents, head-to-head, etc. And, obvoiusly, all of the comments from fans on here help, too. DII is the hardest for me.

[Edited by coacht on 2-9-03 9:28P]

Guest defygravity

i wish these two teams would meet before the tournament....i think it would be a great game as they've both beaten worthy teams and have a pretty balanced team. These teams would match up well with each other and although I'd say HH was better...it would almost be a coin toss between the two.

your rankings while considering all your adversity when judging is right on target. HH's win over Riverdale is their "wildcard"...they should be ranked 1 for that. ECS has done very well, and they spanked Ryan (no comment) earlier this season. The Irish have had a very fine season although they dropped one to your #1 HH in Double OT....and got spanked in Memphis to mighty mighty ECS. Briarcrest is just that....a very fine program, up or down. Everyone seems to think ECS and HH play for it all....

FRHS "no comment" WHAT "NO COMMENT"!!

Are you losing your edge? What's going on?

Yeah, the top four are easy. In the West, the difference between Hutchison, SBEC, Bishop Byrne, Harding, St. Benedict, and St. Agnes is negligible. Hutchison has been a little, and I mean little, more consistent. SBEC and Bishop Byrne's records are better from playing in the weaker D2 West small division, but head to heads can be viewed from early in the season.

IMHO - Brentwood Academy coming to town in Dec. and getting beat by both Harding and Hutchison showed that the second tier of teams in the West is better than those in the Middle.

I need help with Webb. I see no reason to put them near the top four. Hutchison beat them by 10 in sectionals last year (I know, last year, but it's the last comparison game that I see) and Hutch has basically the same team.

Please someone convince me why they're good.

I, for one, am not impressed with Webb based on recent games

they have played.

They beat Notre Dame by only 9 points and then lost to

GPS by 15.

I'm not sure what other DII schools have play both

Notre Dame and GPS, but Father Ryan beat both of them badly.

Todays Tennesseean had Webb ranked 3rd and FRHS ranked 4th.

#1 ECS

#2 HH

#3 Webb

#4 FRHS

#5 Briarcrest

All Associated Press members in Tennessee are eligible to participate in the high school basketball poll. Those who voted for this week's poll are: the Citizen Tribune, Morristown; The Daily Herald, Columbia; The Daily News Journal, Murfreesboro; The Daily Post Athenian; the Elizabethton Star; The Greeneville Sun; the Herald-Citizen, Cookeville; The Jackson Sun; the Johnson City Press; the Kingsport Times-News; The Knoxville News-Sentinel; The Lebanon Democrat; the Newport Plain Talk; The Union City Messenger; WCMT, Martin; WENK, Union City; WTKB, Milan and WTPR, Paris.

The above was pasted from the AP story. As you can see nobody in Nashville (The Tennessean I would guess) bothered to vote and there is a heavy amount of voters from here in the west and from the east which probably is the reason for the vote being what it is.

The AP rankings are of course a joke. The webb school is a fine competitive program (I know first hand growing up in K-town till 7th grade), but their girl's team would get SPANKED by the aforementioned "TOP 4". I have no idea why anyone would vote Webb in front of FRHS....coach T is not from middle Tn. and when he got called out to do a poll for D2 he did'nt have Webb mentioned (and I'm assuming all he did was look at the scores of the schools being mentioned) So let's move on....Brownhut...your vocab is almost as impressive as your beloved institution. I've got plenty of edge left and I'll need it as FRHS will play Harpeth Hall at least 2 more times before we face one of those "Memphis" teams in sectionals. We'll see what's up brownhut...and I'll see your beautiful city for the second time in so many years in the first week of may when I race the "Run a Mile for a Child" race...look forward to finally breaking the 5 minute mark...hope to do 4:30....GO IRISH...(the race is may 4th or 5th I think)

Hutchison vs. ECS last night (I wasn't there unfortunately)

1Q H 7 - ECS 6

2Q ECS 15 - H 13

3Q ECS 27 - H 22

4Q ECS 36 - H 27

Briarcrest vs. St. Benedict

1Q SB 8 - BC 7

2Q BC 19 - SB 13

3Q BC 25 - SB 17

4Q BC 35 - SB 23

Are the gaps closing?????

Great 4th quarter Harding in putting away St. Agnes

SBEC without Gresh Gorman beat Bishop Byrne .