wrestling clinics?

Guest OvertonFan

Guest OvertonFan

How can I find out when and where wrestling clinics will be this year? Also, who are some of the best coaches to look for when going to a clinic. Obviously D. Gable would be one of the best but who are some from the midstate area?

Overtonfan, watch this site and Tennwrestling.com for clinic info. Also, at the state they tend to have pamphlets out concerning summer camps.

As to midstate coaches, start with you own. Gabriel is very knowledgeable and would point you in the right direction. Both Simpsons will have clinics this summer. Connell from McCallie is usually in town for one or both. Tommy Badon and Bryon Dunning are good to catch. I think it's Brenwood that usually hosts an Ohio State clinic that is well thought of. Harding Academy is planning on the Army camp again and it seemed to go well last year.

Anyway, some places to start and some names to look out for.

The freestyle clinic will be at Brentwood on Saturday, March 1 in our wrestling room. Still working on the exact time schedule, but this will be a two-part thing. First, this will serve as a freestyle technique and scoring clinic which will be beneficial for beginner and experienced freestylers. The second part will be an officials clinic. We are bringing in officials from USA Wrestling to do this part of the clinic. We're encouraging anyone, including high school kids, to go through this and become a certified official. The main point being the more officials we have in the state, the more tournaments we can put on in the spring. The only cost for the clinic will be the purchase of a USA Wrestling card which I believe is $30 and is good through August. Look for flyers at the State Tournament.

WRESTLE FREESTYLE!!

As far as the Ohio State camp at Brentwood this summer, I'm still working on the scheduling and will have brochures later on this spring.

[Edited by CoachBlair on 2-9-03 10:45P]

The 8thAnnual Tennessee AAU All-American Wrestling Camp will be our best ever. Here is a list of the camp instructors who will be in attendence:

Derek Delporto: All-American HWT from Slippery Rock and Current Assist. Coach at Cornell Univ.

Jared Frayer: 3X NCAA All-American from Oklahoma Univ.; Currently in training for the 2004 Olympic Team; Winner of the Dave Schultz Memorial and Canadian Cup Freesyle Championships; this will be his 3rd Tennessee AAU Camp.

Michael Lightner: 2001 NCAA Champion; Multiple NCAA All-American; Currenlty in training for the 2004 USA Olympic Team.

Josh Lambrecht: 2X NCAA All-American from Oklahoma Univ.; 2nd in NCAA's in 2002. This will be his 2nd Tennessee AAU Camp. Currently ranked number 3 in Nation at 184.

Clint Wattenberg: Cornell Univ. 184 pounder; Currenlty ranked number 1 in Division I College polls in the 184 pound weight class.

Craig Johnson: Current UTC 165 pounder; 2002 NCAA Tournament Qualifier; 2nd in SOCON in 2002; former TSSAA State Champion.

other instructors to be named later. For more information concerning this camp, please send an e-mail to : SEAAUWRESTLING@AOL.COM

There is also a camp in Clarksville featuring Dan Gable former Head Coach of Iowa, Duane Goldman Head Coach of Indiana, Bill Lam Head Coach of North Carolina, and Mike Duroe Head Asst Coach Univ. of Pennsylvania.. details are posted here on coacht and on tenn wrestling site.. I have brochures and space is limited to 200 wrestlers.. if you wish email me for a brochure.. JGannonNVP@hotmail.com I will also have brochures at State this weekend

[Edited by jgannonnvp on 2-11-03 8:54A]