Win/Loss Rankings - Hall of Fame Games

PageMan

These Hall of Fame games played before 11-25-02 should not be included in the Win/Loss rankings as they are exhibitions. Walker Valley & Gibson Co. include these games which inflates their records. Page's schedule does not have any of these gimme games so I think they should be ranked higher. Any comments? CoachT can you explain why you include these games in your rankings? Also Obion Co. has two games on 11-22-02 with the same score against Halls and then Hall of Fame - it this just one game or two. If it is the same game, then one of them needs to be deleted.

[Edited by PageMan on 2-10-03 9:36A]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the TSSAA created these games they stated that they could be used as regular season games if the school chooses to. For example, on FRA's schedule they counted the Hall of Fame win but did not count the Hall of Fame loss to Moore County- that really makes no sense. Most schools, however, do count the games as part of their season schedule. They are more then just exhibitions or scrimmages.

The Hall of Fame games can be counted by schools if they choose. I changed all of those games to Hall of Fame opponent, since the loser probably isn't counting them, but had a duplication in the Obion schedule. I will add the Page games if you want them counted and will give me the dates, oppoents, and scores.

Posted by PageMan:

These Hall of Fame games played before 11-25-02 should not be included in the Win/Loss rankings as they are exhibitions. Walker Valley & Gibson Co. include these games which inflates their records. Page's schedule does not have any of these gimme games so I think they should be ranked higher. Any comments? CoachT can you explain why you include these games in your rankings? Also Obion Co. has two games on 11-22-02 with the same score against Halls and then Hall of Fame - it this just one game or two. If it is the same game, then one of them needs to be deleted.

[Edited by PageMan on 2-10-03 9:36A]

If one does not want to count the "Hall of Fame Games" That are legal and sanctioned by TSSAA- Then it would only seem fair not to count "Thanksgiving, and Christmas Tourneys" as well..........Walker Valley did play 2 Hall of Fame Games- BUT did not choose to play in a Thanksgiving Tournament as some teams choose to do- 3 games in a christmas tourn. plus 2 hall of fame games equals 5 games added to regular season standings. Where as Page Played 4 games over Christmas Break and 2 over Thanksgiving- for a total of 6!So all n all- what was played on either schedule was "legal and fair"- If it weren't- then we wouldn't be allowed to play them! :confused:

The Hall of Fame games had to be played within a designated time frame a week before the regular season started. Anything after that date must be counted, period. The only thing that could be counted or not (depending on the school's choice) are games within the week that you were allowed to play hall of fame games. It's pretty silly really. The TSSAA ought to just say they count or not one way or the other and settle this. What about stats ? What if some player scored 30 points in a hall of fame game but his team lost the game ??? You've got to count the game to count the stats !!! The TSSAA can solve this by just setting a rule

Well, peacemaker, I certainly opened a can of worms here didn't I. I say let all the games, win or lose, count so that an individual can get their stats. As long as the overall record has no bearing on district tournament seedings, then no problem. Page ended up playing four games at Christmas because they won the Daytona Beach Classic. The two games at Thanksgiving were at Lawrenceburg where they defeated Ezell-Harding and Obion Co. Central by 20 pts. (71-51). These pre-season & holiday season games should count for all and this is my final comment. PageMan.