Outfield Requirements

ERA

Right field - has the longest throws and has to prevent 1st to 3rd on a base hit, need strong arm probably the strongest. Strong arm is a plus also on hard base hits to right and throwing the runner out at first (Does state of 2000 against Beech ring a bell ERA Stanfill was my summer RF for 6 years) Has to play slicers in the air.

Centerfield - Leader, vocal, communicates situations to other outfielders, speed a must to cover two gaps, good arm.

Left Field - Ability to come up or go back. Possibly hardest hit balls are to left. Overall shortest throws on the average.

Thanks STD, great answers to a question that I believe gets overlooked at times on some teams and how could I forget the 2000 state game!!! Coffee has had a great tradition of center and right fielders. When I first saw your summer team practices, that was the first time I had seen as much emphasis on technique and skill level in the outfield as Breeden and Floyd if not more. That is definitely on of your strong suits. I noticed the outfield was special to you. All coaches should feel that way since it is the last line of defense and yet the difference in ball games when it is on the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell more std! I love to read informative threads. I love the outfield, and I feel it isn't coached well by many. You have a wealth of knowledge. Would you like to share more? Tell where you would position your OF'ers for bunt, slap, or drag defenses. What are some drills you use to improve the skill of your players at the OF positions? Are there any videos or reading materials that you have used to strengthen your knowledge -or- is just that experience and observation are the best teachers.

Football drills work great for outfield practice. Catching ball over each shoulder. It makes them use both hands since the big ball will not fit in the glove. Outfielders need to learn that the first step is back in most cases and when running after a ball in the air they need to keep the glove tucked.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 2-21-03 8:24A]