formula for bracketing???

rcpatriot

could someone tell me how tssaa places individuals in the brackets. i understand that previous medalist get seeded, but how does the placements go after that?

silverbullet, sly, or anyone else with the knowledge, please respond. check the 160 bracket out and explain how driggers(king) gets put in the top bracket with gibson and boss(tull) goes to the bottom, #2 spot. did it not matter that driggers beat the 2 individuals that have each held down the #2 spot for most of the season? just trying to figure out how these decision's are decided.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be seeded a wrestler must be both a region champion and a medalist. They look at what your place was, at weight and previous years. After that it is a blind draw for region champs and rest of the field is filled in.

The problem is that many coaches and wrestlers will look at the brackets and think that someone is seeded because they are sitting in a traditionally seeded spot and it is really just the luck of the draw.

I'm sure I am probably off some where But I'm probably in the ball park.

[Edited by noonesfool on 2-10-03 8:21P]

My question is, especially in DI, why is it done this way? With teams travelling far and wide to wrestle and at least two good sources of ranking, why would you blind draw this thing. Everyone pretty much knows each other, has seen each other, or have wrestled. Whatever happened to seeding 1-8?

Remember if you seeded 1-8 you would still have to seed only the regional champs or there would not be much use for the regionals. Two if you have two returning medalists from the same region it throws the non seeded medalist into the other bracket where he gets his shot. It is a 500 mile long state and you start seeding non state placers it can get very subjective. Many of our experts are our top coaches and I'm not sure we want to go there.

The brackets have been seeded in this way in the past....

If you are a region champion (#1), you wrestle a #4 from another region. If you are a #2, you wrestle a #3. Then you should not wrestle your own region until the semis at the earliest. It could well be that the best two 152# are in the same region, this way they are separated normally until the semi-final or final.

Is it a perfect system? No, but I think it works.

reftn

[Edited by reftn on 2-10-03 8:38P]

reftn, that's how they did it back in my day (late 70's. early 80's) and I still think it's the best way. Noonesfool, if you did seed 1-8 you would have to ignore region champs. I, personally, think region should just get you to state. Being the champ should not automatically get you a seed.

noonesfool, of course it would be subjective. Much better than by chance. And some regions are stronger, much stronger, than others. But you wouldn't be seeding regions. You would be seeding wrestlers. But my first option would still be with the old way. I've never been a fan of blind draw and that would be my last choice.

you are right we rank wrestlers not regions but there are stereotyping some true some not true. Ex. Region l is not considered a strong region yet it is easily the toughest 275lb. region in the state. Region l as a region doesnt have depth but they get there percentage of state placers every year.

I was in the old 8 man states and that was easy to figure 1vs4 ect.

We actually do seed but we stop at the formula Reg champ and state medal. Are you going to states?

[Edited by noonesfool on 2-10-03 9:52P]