OFFICIAL quote of the century!!!!

Stokomo

It is not that all referees call bad games. There has to be a winner and a loser, yet most officials give teams breaks because of the coach they know or people from that school. All we ask is that games are called evenly. If you are bad, then call it the same, if you are good, try to help the weaker one. Coaches are the best officials, when their team is playing, but as I stated earlier this week, there is no accountablity for these people. This is a game played by the kids, and coached by people who rely on this sport for an income. Families are involved, and when officials bend the rule book it affects all of those involved. Sure you may have a bad day, but when officials are buddy buddy with certain coaches then call games for them, is it fair for the kids? You guys supplement your income with officiating, but are not truly held to your actions, as are players and coaches. Please call the game as it is supposed to be called, do your job for that night and nothing more or less. Why would you not want to be evaluated night in and night out, so you can be the best official you are capable of being?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do coaches get paid to TEACH or coach? Do they get a salary to coach and a supplement to teach? This can go on and on so you guys have fun with it. Let me say this, The difference between a coach and a referee is that the coach signed a contract and the official is an independent contractor. Meaning an official never really knows if he has worked his last game or not. If a coach is certified and tenured then he will always have a job teaching because we defintely have a shortage of them. Good Luck to everyone in the tournaments and be safe!

Guest HSballFan

What is up with officiating this year? Especially in the college ranks. And Pat Riley is complaining about the refs in the NBA. Anyone catch the Duke/ Wake Forest game last night on ESPN2? I believe it was 59 fouls called total. Double Overtime. 53 fouls before the end of regulation. Duke had 5 players foul out and WF had 3. I know this a high school board but I'm a die-hard DUKE fan and I had to throw this in here. What's up with referee's all over the state?

redtdvol,

Please explain to us how an official is to call the game evenly! So if Team A has fouled 8 times in a half than Team B must have 8 fouls as well right? How rediculous!! It is amazing to me that when there is a seemingly foul number discrepency AGAINST a team, the referees are being unfair and not calling the game "even". However, when the fouls are greatly in your favor, you say you are playing GREAT DEFENSE!! I have never heard a team beg the referees to call more fouls against themselves because the fouls are not even for the other team which has much more against them!!!

if your record is 4-20 you can forget getting any breaks from the refs because they view your team as weak and uncompetive, but if your record is 20-4 things will normally go your way with the refs. prime example is handchecking. you touch a guy with your hand its handchecking and they blow the whistle, but if you bump them all the way down the floor with your body(i call it bodychecking) on a press that is perfect legal with most refs. most 20-4 teams press and get away with this all night long.

Illini....I have been away for a family emergency. Now...to respond to your interest. Rule 4 section 27 article 2 talks about the definition of a foul and talks about incidental contact. Most players "hand-check" which IS a foul. The book describes this as a TREMENDOUS ADVANTAGE to the person illegally using their hands. Also Rule 4 section 19 Article 1 says: . A personal foul is a player foul which involves ILLEGAL CONTACT with an opponent while the ball is live, which HINDERS an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements.

Heck I'll throw one in for free that most people thought was a foul but is not. There is no such thing as a moving screen "violation." A moving screen is described in rule 4-39-6 and is legal. "When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the OPPONENT is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops."

I'll give my final thoughts on this matter. No one is perfect and GOD knows I've made my share of mistakes. But this is not about how poor the calls are. This is about how the whole aspect of basketball is getting out of hand. Refs will miss calls, they're human! Coaches will lose their temper, they're human! Players will get hot-headed, they're human! Fans will get IRATE, they're human! Just don't let youre biases get in the way of EFFECTIVE officiating, coaching, playing, or cheering!!! GOD Bless & Remember this QUOTE......

The GAME will be better WHEN.........

PLAYERS lessen their EGOs,

COACHES lessen their EGOs,...........AND

OFFICIALS realize that fans don't pay their money to see them!!

[Edited by Stokomo on 2-18-03 10:19A]