NEW OT RULE

coachmasters

What if.....we changed the rules to state that both guys got to choose in double OT? Example...One guy chooses bottom and escapes in 8 seconds. Now we put 8 seconds on the clock and give the other guy his shot at bottom. If he beats the clock he wins. If he does not then the other guy wins. In essence, the guy that scores the fastest is the winner instead of the winner being determined by the flip at the beginning of the second period. This new rule would only apply in matches that have a scoreless first period. Let's have some feedback.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dblxface,

I agree with you but we both know that with the legal ramifications of that good rule it would be thrown out the window and never pass. I can see the litigation line now of people if we did not allow injury time when a contestant ask for it.

What we need to do is have officials call stalling like they do during the regular season and put ridding time back into high school wrestling. Yes it would require another clock operator but it would cut down the number of overtime matches we now have.

[Edited by cbg on 2-18-03 2:27P]

dbl,

i agree with everything that you said accept the inhaler part. ive had asthma since i was five, and until last year because of the intense training wrestling calls for, it had always given me a lot of trouble. when someone needs their inhaler, it isnt anything to play with, and i think it is a bit unfair for someone to be punished for having a condition that is uncontrollable by making them forfeit the match. not trying to change your mind, just something to think about.

I have sent my suggestion to Ronnie Carter who is the NFHS rules representative for our region of the country. I also sent him something else to consider. Here it is...

When the bottom man stands up and the top man doesn't attempt to bring him back down to the mat, why do we stop the match to warn the top wrestler for stalling? This just penalizes the bottom man for something that the top man is doing wrong. When I stand up, the last thing I want the ref to do is stop the match and put me back down on the mat. Why not just warn the top wrestler and let the match continue? Makes more sense to me.

Well, in the first overtime, it is for one minute and the first take down. If no takedown is scored, then it goes into double overtime, which is what KKW is talking about. The double OT is for 30 seconds in which one wrestler choses down or top. It has become a problem and I agree that KKW's suggestion is an excellent way to prevent an extremely close match being decided on the toss of a coin.

I was thinking of that myself. Part of the problem is that while 30 seconds is too long to be fair among the big guys, the smaller wrestlers have a reasonable chance of riding a man out for that long. Here's another possibility if they don't like that one: The winner of the first point or coin toss either sets the length of the tiebreaker, or forces his opponent to do so. For example, he might say "12 seconds." Knowing that, whoever didn't set the length then has to decide whether he wants to be the cowboy or the bull for that length of time...

KKW

I'm sure you don't remember this, but several years ago in the rules of wrestling, if you pinned your guy in the first period in x amount of time. You're opponent had the same amount of time to try to pin you, if he was successful, he was declared the winner. I'm just an old proponent of wrestling and thought you're proposal was interesting. I'll bet Danny Gilbert didn't know that.