Fargo team excels at state

luchador

Here are the results at the state tournament for the Tennessee Wrestling Federation Freestyle/Greco-Roman National Team that competed in Fargo last summer:

Cadets:

Kyle James - DI 119lb State Champion

Jimmy Hiller - DII 112lb State Champion

Bradley Felix - DI 125lb 4th place

Tim Manson - DII 125lb Runner-up

Bond Davis - DI 140lb Runner-up

Matt Clark - DII 145lb 6th place

Ryan Scott - DII 145lb State Champion

Juniors:

Jordan Leen - DII 119lb State Champion

Charlie Warfield - DI 119lb 3rd place

Will Carson - DII 130lb 3rd place

Brandon Campbell - Kentucky 145lb 8th place

Ben Sharp - DI 145lb state qualifier

For information about this year's team contact tennwrestling@mindspring.com

[Edited by luchador on 2-20-03 10:04A]

[Edited by luchador on 2-23-03 9:13A]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job, guys. You know the saying, "Summer wrestling makes winter champions." We want to put together a team of the very best that our state has to offer for this year. The coaches this year are Shane Turner from Soddy Daisy, Tom Marable from Memphis, and myself. I want to encourage everybody to wrestle freestyle this spring and summer. With the talent we are developing in this state there is no reason why we can't form a competitive group to take on the rest of the nation. We will once again have a team training camp, details to follow. The state tournament (national qualifier) is May 3rd at Father Ryan High School. Top 3 make the team. I hope to see a strong field of potential qualifiers competing for those spots this May.

Congrats to last year's team members for great seasons.

Joe Blair

I know in the past Memphis has taken a group up on their own, but Fargo really should be a Team Tennessee drawing the best wrestlers from all over the state. Some people may not think that's workable, but if California can do it year in and year out, why can't we? Memphis has also taken a team to the National Duals in the summer. The qualifying state tournament in May is for individuals wanting to compete at the Cadet & Junior Nationals. Do you know about when the Memphis area practice days and times are? Locations? I'm waiting to hear back from Coach Delgado. I'm assuming that Coach Cotrell is also going to be involved this spring. If you guys are seeing this, get in touch with me. joeb@wcs.edu

[Edited by CoachBlair on 2-19-03 4:49P]

Wrestlers can also qualify for Fargo at one of the regionals, Juniors at any regional event by placing in the top 3 and Cadets by placing in the top 3 in Greeneville, SC Cadet Regional. Keep in mind to be eligible for Team Tennessee a wrestler should be actice in Tennessee Wrestling Federation events. Check www.tennwrestling.com for the schedule of events.

There is a qualifier for the Kids/Cadet regional in Greeneville and that is the state tournament at Father Ryan. Sopme years ago some kids showed up to the regional without having qualified and were turned away by the tournament director. The qualifying events are very important. I would also recommend the Mid South Classic in Germantown, and the tournaments in Brentwood and Franklin before the state tournament to gather experience.

Ladies and gentleman. What makes Fargo so great? Try 24 mats on a football field. Unless you have been there to see, you wouldn't believe it. All of the college coaches are there ready to hand out scholarships to those they may have overlooked. I witnesses a match last year, an open level national team qualifier, with John Smith of Oklahoma State, Tom Ortiz of Arizona State and Bobby Douglas of Iowa state in one corner and Tom Brands and Jim Zalesky of Iowa in the other corner. The olympic coaches are there. It is an awesome event. 8 days long and 3 times the number of mats at our state tournament. Once a wrestler has been there, intimidation on the local and state level will cease to exist.