What city has the best coverage of high school wre

soccerpro1

Cleveland has to be one of the top cities. The Cleveland Daily Banner with former Chattanooga Free Press writer John Hunt as its sports editior always gives great coverage to Bradley and Cleveland as well as the Middle Schools. Plus, Sportsvision on local cable channel always covers all the Middle Schools and High Schools matches and it also broadcasts the Cleveland/Bradley dual meet as well as the state tournament. Thanks guys for all you do for wrestling.

I'm not sure about cities as a whole, but as far as the newspapers are concerned, I rank them as follows:

1)Cleveland Daily Banner (Cleve) - Simply excellent coverage all around...

2)Nashville City Paper (Nash) - Completely unbiased reporting all the way through the season by Dominic Bonvissuto.

3)Times Free Press (Chatt) - Chattanooga reporting was down a little this year from past years, but I would say that was just coincidence, and they'll probably pick it up in the near future. This is normally the #1 newspaper for high school sports.

4)The Tennessean (Nash) - Our very own Rob Sherrill does a great job with keeping the word out for Middle Tennessee wrestling... he also pulls double and triple duty, reporting for other newspapers as well sometimes. This is fourth mainly because the Tennessean doesn't give him enough to report on (and the typos, lol, but that's the editor's fault)...

I kinda wanted to do a whole top 5 report, but I couldn't really think of any others who really stood out. The Knox-News Sentinal and gomemphis.com do a poor job of reporting for their areas. Those wrestlers deserve better. Anyway, there's mine. Any other nominations?

[Edited by dom730 on 2-20-03 12:06P]

The reason why I didn't put any of the Williamson Co. papers in there is because they are run by the Tennessean, which would make them part of the Tennessean... That is why Rob Sherrill has done many of there articles.

You are very right about the Clarksville paper. It's the leaf chronicle. It's great... I'd make them #3 on the list

As far as the chattanoogan is concerned, I wish they did more coverage. They have done nothing more than post results all season long, and finally gave some coverage of the state tournament. However, I would be overstating it if I said it was thorough in nature.

The Williamson County papers (i.e. Review Appeal and Brentwood Journal) ARE NOT run by the Tennessean. Before this discussion goes any further let us please make that clear. Those two papers are their own, run out of downtown Franklin, and the Tennessean has a Williamson A.M. Section ˜ which does not cover local sports in it every day ˜ that is put inside the county editions of the Tennessean.

From what I read and saw online, the Review Appeal/Brentwood Journal did a pretty good job covering the sport through the state tourney this season.

tnmat, When did Gannett purchase the Review Appeal and the Brentwood Journal? I'm surprised that they would have three newspapers under one umbrella in one county, the RA, the Journal, and the Tennessean Williamson AM. Does Rob Sherrill write for all three? I understand that the Review Appeal has another outstanding reporter in Corby Yarbrough. Do he and Sherrill share reporting in the Review Appeal?

Coach Blair gave an endorsement of the Williamson County coverage of this past season in another post. There have been times throughout the history of the Review Appeal's coverage of local wrestling that were reminiscent of the old Chattanooga Times and the old Chattanooga Freepress.

Where ever there has been good coverage, we need to let the appropriate editors at the newpaper know about it. Don't take it for granted. We have seen the upturns and the downturns too often. Where there has been a lack of coverage, we also need to let the editors know.

One newspaper responded to an inquiry about its lack of coverage with a statistic that claimed reader interest in wrestling stories was such a minute percentage that they just didn't give it much ink. Phone calls and letters can counter those percentage claims with new sets of figures.

[Edited by Asylamer on 2-21-03 2:52A]

Sherrill works for the Tennessean as a corrspondent, he is not a staff member.

The Tennessean and Review Appeal/Brentwood Journal have no ties together. They are not owned by the same company ˜ one's Gannett and one's Morris. Sherrill only writes for the Tennessean, and I think the Review Appeal and Brentwood Journal only have two reporters down there.

Both papers are completely independent of each other andare not under the same umbrella. Never have been, never will be.