Lewis County Legends: Biographies

govu

Detroit, Michigan is known to millions of people for producing three things...automobiles, Kid Rock and James "Mighty" Mouse. Born in poverty stricken lower Detroit, James grew up longing to play basketball like his Piston hero's Isiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman. Each evening after being picked up from daycare, Mouse would play outside his modest home using a pair of his father's old work socks for a ball and an old Model A Ford tire for a hoop. These simple possessions was all Mouse had as a child. His only world was isolation and fear. Then one day everything changed. His mother informed him the family was loading up all their belongings and moving to Hohenwald, Tennessee.

Upon arrival Mouse immediately became friends with another Courts Legend, Billy "Tiger" Dabbs. Together they worked on their game and became a terrific two-some at Memorial Park. However since this is Mouse's biography I will only focus on his individual accomplishments.

In the summer of 1996 Mouse was consistently among Courts leaders in steals and field goal percentage. He wasn't quick, couldn't jump, and a damaged retina he received while in shop class hindered his vision. However he had what many youngsters these days lack, heart. And on top of that he had the most deadly hook-shot ever seen at the Courts since Travis McKissack. Mouse developed this hook shot after having to play against his uncle Larry Joe Hinson when he was younger because it was the only way he could get it over the larger law-man.

A tragic end came to Mouse's career after leading his team to the 1998 Courts championship game against a team led by "Jumpin" Jonah Russell. Mouse's team was down 1 with 3 seconds to go when he posted Russell up and was fouled by him on a questionable call by head official Billy James. After Mouse nailed the free-throws clinching the win, Russell brutally assaulted Mouse on the way to his car. Although Mouse never got in a punch, Coach Grinder only saw Mouse take a swing and was forced to ban him from the park forever.

Since that time many Legends have petitioned Mouse be reinstated, but Grinder has refused. Though he may be banned his legacy lives on, and for that we say, "THANK YOU, James Mouse, for all you did for the game of basketball."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest topgun33

i think we need to add the Clinton Reeves bio. to this great list. He has played forever and has a jump shot no one can contain. does anyone have his bio. out there?

Joshua ˜The Diesel˜ Keltner was born and raised in rural southeastern Lewis County on the Maury County line near Mt. Joy. Growing up in poverty, the only material goods Joshua had was an old Larry Bird autographed basketball and an old homemade basketball goal nailed to a giant oak tree that was made by his father.

Joshua˜s love for the game began growing when he was 7 years old and saw his brother Jonah playing basketball everyday with childhood friend and next door neighbor, Matt Santana. Joshua soon began playing with the two and was always badly beaten by the older and bigger boys. In 1997 Josh was quoted saying, ˜Getting the crap beat out of me all the time by my brother and Santana really made me practice harder so I could one day beat them the way they beat me. I stayed outside in the dark, cold rain, sleet and snow shooting free-throws while those two went in to a nice, warm house. I would jog up Teen Cothran Hill building up my leg muscles while they played Nintendo. I was always working on my game.˜

Joshua began playing organized basketball in the fourth grade in a Mt. Pleasant Pee-Wee league, for the mighty Red ˜Dragons˜. In his first year he led his team to the Championship, which proved to be a sign of things to come. In the next year Joshua again led his team to the Championship again and was planning on a 3-peat when he and his family was kicked out of the Maury County School System for living out-of-county.

Upon his arrival at Lewis County Middle School, Joshua signed up for basketball under legendary head coach, Howard ˜The Bear˜ Spears. During his seventh grade season he led the Runnin˜ Raiders to the TNT State Championship, scoring 34 points in the season finale. In his Sophmore season at LCHS, Joshua was reunited with ˜The Bear˜ and led the Panthers to a 19 game consecutive win streak and onto the District Championship. He was named District MVP after averaging 29 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 charges taken a game.

He continued to improve his Junior and Senior year where he became known as one of the most entertaining players to watch in the southeastern United States. His last two years with the Panthers, he averaged 36 points, 16 rebounds and although playing post, shot 79% beyond the arc. Although not fully recognized for his defensive skills, two of his biggest thrills in high school was holding future NBA All-Star Kirk Haston to 5 points in 1997 against Perry County, and then holding current Rookie of the Year candidate Marcus Haislip to 3 points in 1998 against Marshall County.

After graduation Joshua was pursuing a Criminal Justice career at Columbia State and was trying out for the Charges basketball team when he suffered a career threatening back injury (when he was stabbed there by a former high school teammate). Joshua was so devastated he withdrew from school and joined the Lewis County Sheriff˜s Department where he is currently working as a School Resource Officer alongside another Lewis County Legend, Larry ˜Rodjo˜ Rodgers. When not caught up in piles of paperwork, Joshua still enjoys playing pick-up basketball and helping juvenile defenders turn their life around. THANK YOU, Joshua, for all you've done for the game of basketball.

I appreciate the good marks given to me recently. I work hard and research tirelessly to get these biographies to all the fans of the Lewis County Legends. I'll continue my research and hope to continue receiving good marks.

Josh's stats were padded a little. However he averaged over 20 points, 10 boards, and did take many charges and shot well beyond the arc but I'm not sure the exact numbers. He was only 1 of only 4 or 5 players at the time to score over 1,000 career points in LCHS history. I think he's like the third leading scorer overall.

More biography's tomorrow.

The following is an excerpt from the now defunct, Who Need's Lungs? magazine, puslished by the tobacco industry from 1955-1983.

As medical researchers continue with their alarmist warnings about the use of cigarettes, we at Who Need's Lungs? would like toshare with you the heartwarming story of a young man who takes the idea and shoves it back in the face of the very despots who flagrantly spread such mistruths!

At the age of 4, Donny "Doc" Haley, enjoyed his first puff of a relaxing cigarette. As he sat in his father's custom outhouse and lit up the luxurious Chesterfield King, one thought came to his mind.... CENSORED BY MODERATOR!

Doc Haley had found the ture elixir to good health, the very fountain of youth that men like Ponce de la Hinson and Vasquo De Carroll has been searching for 500 years earlier. He would spend his formative years learning the three basic ingredients to a successful life.

A: How to dribble a basketball.

B: Stockpiling Pall Malls.

C: Expanding his vocabulary with words that would best be left unspoken.

Young Haley was a prodigy of sorts, with legs like coil springs and the uncanny ability to shoot a 30 foot jump shot with a Winston Menthol 120 dangling from his lip, he had ability far beyond that of normal, non tabacco using athletes of his time.

Stricken with a case of premature balding, it shortened his blossoming high school career as birth certificates showed him to be 23 years old when playing as a freshman in high school. Carrying the shame of his subterfuge, Doc had no other alternative except to take his craft to the backcourts, an asphalt war zone located at the back of the elementary school, and later at Memorial Park.

He immediately was drafted by the Blondy Bombers, the league champions for several years. Led by the feared Tanner brothers, Diamond Jim and Jack (Little Ceasar), they were a team that had ran roughshod over everyone for years but were beginning to get a little long in the tooth. With the youthfullness of Haley, they were set for the next several years. Anchored by the 6'7" 310 pound Jack "Stare, get your eyes full" Holt and bruising forward Stacy Storey, they seemed to be unbeatable, especially since most of their games were played against a team thrown together by the always hopeless "Red Klontz" of the backcourts, Neil Bastin.

But then in the early 80's, new blood arrived on the scene in the form of some bruisers who refused to let Bastin captain their team. And how did this happen? They bought and brought their own ball, thus denying any need for Bastin. These were old time legends like Barry "Bernard" Duncan and "Gentle" Ben Pace and Harold Haney and Charlie Mitchell, those who would actually guard the Tanner boys and Doc Haley!

The Blondy Bombers had never experienced defense before and were shocked by the audacity of the newcomers. And eventually, it would lead to their demise. But, even though the dynasty would end, the career of Donny "Doc" Haley would not. He would segue to the new courts at Memorial Park where a whole new generation of roundballers and then another would marvel as he stood 29 feet from the basket, leaped high in the air, balanced his Doral Full Flavor 100 on his tongue, and drained another bomb!

Who Needs Lungs? Obviously not your friend and mine, Doc Haley!