Lewis County Legends: Biographies

govu

Young Haley was a prodigy of sorts, with legs like coil springs and the uncanny ability to shoot a 30 foot jump shot with a Winston Menthol 120 dangling from his lip, he had ability far beyond that of normal, non tabacco using athletes.

Stricken with a case of premature balding, it shortened his blossoming high school career as birth certificates showed him to be 23 years old when playing as a freshman in high school. Carrying the shame of his subterfuge, Doc had no other alternative except to take his craft to the backcourts, an asphalt war zone located at the back of the elementary school, and later at Memorial Park.

of his time.

That is one of the best and funniest lines I've seen on CoachT.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember as a young child watching this Doc Haley play ball at Memorial Park. He would average 22pts,14reb,4blk, and 3 cigarettes a game.I remember his unstoppable bank shot from the corner. After every shot went through the goal he would always have something to say, yet no one really ever understood him because the ciagrette hanging from the corner of his mouth slurred his speech. He is the only Legend to ever play his whole career "at Memorial Park" in a pair of Gore-TX Boots, yet he still could outjump many of the youngsters. Doc is most remembered for his game winning jumper over Josh Duckett in the '96 Memorial Park challenge. Little did we know that was the last competitive shot Doc would ever take. With the score tied at 28, Haley took a pass from Tim Baker. He drove to the corner heavily guarded by the much larger Duckett. Everyone knew the bank was coming, and Duckett was going to block the shot. Both players went up and about that time a large gust of wind blew ashes from Doc's cigarette into the eyes of Duckett who screamed in pain and threw his hands over his eyes and away from Haley's shot. Haley took advantage of the situation and nailed the bank shot fromthe corner, winning the game and series. Haley announced his retirement after the game saying he would spend most of his time working with young Doc Haley Jr.'s ballgame. It is rumored Haley donated the Gore-TX boots he wore in his final game to charity for auction. Joshua Duckett lost partial sight in his left eye and had a severly burned retina. He was forced to finish his career wearing tinted goggles. Thanks Doc, for all the memories!

Only the devout followers of the Courts will remember this next legendary player, "Country" Robert Williams. Country Bob made his first appearance at Memorial Park on a bright Sunday evening in 1993 while passing thru Hohenwald in an 18 Wheeler on the way to Nevada. He stepped out of the big rig wearing not your typical truckers outfit of jeans, longsleeved shirt, and cowboy boots; but rather bright green jogging pants, a Reebok basketball jersey, and some Chuck Taylor Converse high-tops.

With his adrenaline pumping due to an overdose of yellow-jackets, No Doze, and Folgers coffee, Country Bob stepped right in to a game replacing an injured Indo Williams. He led his team to victory and on to a 6 game winstreak for day. As he pulled out of the H.I.S. parking lot he blew his horn loudly for Lil' Jerry who was feverishly pumping his arm and promised everyone he'd return when he road back into Hohenwald.

Bob did return to play and was one of the most notorious players ever to throw an elbow, thrust a hip, or feign being fouled. Certainly, no player was ever showered with more boos or unflattering nicknames. Bob once told Coach Grinder after a skirmish, "I don't fight. I agitate, then walk away." Longtime teammate, friend, and fellow trucker Bobby Young said of Bob, "Players and fans love to hate him. It's a love-hate relationship. Tell you the truth, if I didn't know Country Bob, I wouldn't like him either."

Despite many of his on-court antics Bob had a brilliant career. In 6 bruising Courts seasons Country Bob made up for his minuscule vertical leap, slow feet, and sluggishness by becoming a master of posturing, muscling, and anticipating...plus fomenting trouble by pretending to be fouled, and drawing his opponents' ire. Bob always seemed to be nursing a brawl-induced shiner or broken nose. He was punched by some of the league's best players, including Terry Shipp, Floyd Tubbs Jr., Jonah Russell, and Travis McKissack. "We don't like him that much," Terry Shipp once told the Lewis County Herald. Nevertheless, Bob was one of the league's finest centers throughout the 1990s.

Tragically in late 1998 with his back and knees aching, and his pride smarting from falling productivity, Bob retired 11 games into the season at age 36. Players throughout the league rejoiced sarcastically. Bob's former nemesis Travis McKissack told everyone, "There's going to be a big party at my house tonight. Everybody's invited."

Although many despised his rough and sometimes dirty play, Bob was a pioneer in many ways. He proved that a truck driver could travel 1,407 miles cross-country yet still dominate at the Courts as soon as he returned home. He proved you could wear green and red jogging pants in the dead heat of the summer and still not pass out from a heat stroke. And finally he opened the door to a career in truck driving that other Legends (such as Michael Dunn and Bobby Young) would soon follow. And for all these accomplishments I say, "THANK YOU, Country Bob, for all you did for the Courts and for the game of basketball".

Chris was another one of thos 6'4" kids from Hohenwald who could barely reach the rim but made up for his lack of jumping ability in other areas of the game. Sheets was know for his famous break-aways which always yielded him 6 rebounds and 2 points as he would bounce shot after shot off the backboard to himself, as the defense trailed behind, to pad his rebounding stats. He would average 30 rebounds a night and 29 of them would be offensive (and that was meant to be used with both meanings of the word) and all of those would be rebounds of his own shot.

Chris was the first big man to perfect the coast to coast drive later embilished upon by Terry "Gooch" Shipp. Hindered only by his blazing slowness the coast to coast drive was a thing of beauty. The dribbling of the ball chin high, the multible head fakes and the cross-over and all this while no one was guarding him. It was poetry in motion.

Chris', after high school, years on the court were cut short by many bouts with the law. If only Josh Keltner(SRO and all round good guy) had been around then to point this misguided youth in the right direction.

When former teammate and ex-Michigan State star was asked to comment on Chris, he has this to say..."Chris played basketball." I think that sums it all up for those of us fortunate enough to see him play.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 2-24-03 10:16A]

Guest pantherpaws

I would like to have a bio placed by someone on here about Brad Creasy. I have heard some wild stories about him on the court and off court. Please give us a little background on the subject: Brad Creasy. Thank you so much for keeping everyon informed.

Myself and other biographers try to keep these posts positive and about Legends. Brad Creasy has only produced negative activities in both high school and at the Courts and is most certainly not a Legend. If you want to read about fighting and foolish behavior go to the WWE website.

Guest buster1

I am the best and enough said!! No one could stop me when I was there. I was the mound round of rebound, the sweet shooter, and the ladies man. I was the best on and off the court. Enough said!

Smits is the only legend to be named after a former NBA great, Ric Smits. No one is for sure of Smits real name or age, but all agree that he can play some ball. Smits started his career at memorial at the age of 16. Smits was 6-2 and 257lbs and had a ponytail 2 feet long at the beginning his rookie season. During his rookie season he was less than spectacular, often missing easy lay-ups and turning the ball over. Mid-way through his first season Smits was dropped of the offical Memorial Park roster for his actions during a game. With 2 points left for the win, Smits gave the ball to a member of the opposing team and said F it..I never want to play again. This came after continuous heckling from teammates and courtside fans alike.Smits then took it a step further and quite school in the 9th grade. On his offical papers to Dr.Tim Webb, Smits cited stress and pressure from playing at Memorial Park as reason for his withdrawal. What many didn't know was that Smits took full advantage being out of school and spent from 7:45am-2:50pm Mon-Fri. at Memorial Park practicing. Smits often would play all day with no food or water, it is rumored that Coach Grinder once spotted Smits with his coondogs sharing a meal and drink of water. Grinder once stated: If the kid improves, then some Ole Roy is worth it. To everyones surprise late last year Smits reinstated himself in the Memorial Park roster. Not many reconized Smits who is now 6-3 and 140 with a buzz cut. He was picked up and encouraged by the Keltner's and made All-Park honors in his first year back.He has had continued success since his return. He has recently been active with the Legends, but has been hampered by a pulled groin of late. Smits also recently graduated HS...(Home School, with a 3.9 GPA).Thanks Smits, for what you've done for the game of basketball.

The Legends returned to the Court Last Night with a card full of exciting action. Prior the the game, LBA Vice-Commissioner Hubie Brown Smith led a heart wrenching ceremony honoring Lewis County Basketball Legend Joshua "Buster" Keltner. Keltner was presented a copy of the current Sports Illustrated Swim Suit edition. Tears streamed down the cheeks of players from both squads as well as fans when the ceremony took place. Buster will be taking a leave of absence during the months of March and April to attend the Academy. In accepting his award Buster had these comments,"Words cannot express what I am feeling right now. I am sure that the swimsuit edition will keep me company while I am away at the training academy. Every time I look at it, I will be reminded of my Legends teammates and fans. You are the greatest!"

The action started with the team of Buster, Rodjo, ODB, Jumpin Jonah Keltner, Hubie Brown Smith, and Ryan Reynolds facing off against the team of Josh and Derek Powers, Lance "Penny" Dabbs, "Hot Rod" Carter, Dennis the Menace, and Big Game James. The games were pretty close throughout but in the end, Buster' team won the series 3-1. During game 3, a strange and unexplained event took place ODB mysteriously walked off the court and disappeared with the swimsuit edition. As of midnight last night local law enforcement was investigating the disappearance. More on this bizarre story as it develops.