CLINTON VS POWELL

player69

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Player69 this guys pretty smart seems like he knows a lot... anyways clinton will win this game and might go right through the whole tourny.. with the ball they are playing and with Jerel playing great ball, T. Morris finally playing up to his potential, and the newly added spark of leadership with Blake Sharp this team will win.... If Clinton can play with them the first half they will win big.... 1st quarters been clintons problem all year but they still win.... big first quarter tmrw against powell would most likey mean the dragons big district champions on friday cause powell the only thing standing in their way of a number 1 seed in the region.... Karns and Oak Ridge are over rated and a healthy clinton team will be able to take either ....

Going into the week, I thought Clinton would win. Now I don't think so. Powell had nothing to play for after they beat Bearden and they looked lazy and uninspired against West and Farragut. Powell is a team that gets up for big games and tonight is a big game. In the last month, Powell has had good wins over Oak Ridge, Clinton, and Bearden. I think that Beaman will keep Clinton in the game, but ultimately Powell will get it done behind Dustin Lucas and Drew Ogan.

Maybe a little more analysis is in order. This should be a great game. My keys to the game for each team.

Clinton --

1. Match Powell's intensity. Powell has been off for a week and they will be a hungry ball club. If Clinton comes into the game lax now that they have secured a spot in the Region Tournament, the game could get ugly in favor of Powell.

2. Shoot the ball well. My guess is that Powell will play zone against Clinton in an effort to keep Seely, Ogan, and Lindsey in good rebounding position against Clinton's big guys. If Clinton shoots the ball well, then Powell might have to adjust to man-to-man which they don't play as well.

3. Get back on defense. Powell has been at their best this year when they play solid defense and score in transition. Powell was able to get a large lead in the last game because their solid half court defense led to easy scores. Some of these could have been eliminated if Clinton had hustled harder to get back on defense.

Powell --

1. Eliminate Beaman's penetration. Given that Powell will probably play zone, keeping Beaman from penetrating and finding open shooters will be key. Powell's Dustin Lucas is as quick as a cat, but he's not physically strong enough to contain Beaman by himself. That means that other guards must be ready to help then quickly recover for Powell to keep Clinton from getting easy open looks.

2. Seely and Ogan must be aggressive. Ogan looked like the District Player of the Year in the last game against Clinton. He made big outside shots and found open shooters from the high post. Since then, Ogan has played poor games against Bearden, West, and Farragut. He has to stop avoiding contact in the paint and draw fouls on Morris.

3. Rebound. If the Panthers can break even with Clinton on the boards, I think they win. Powell simply has more guys that can score than Clinton.

X-Factor -- Chance Spradlin. Kid can shoot the lights out. Powell has not lost a game all year where Chance played well.

Prediction: Powell 57 Clinton 49