ELIZABETHTON vs Volunteer

CoachSH

Guest dfenceahfence

i saw the game tonight and eliz totally dominated volunteer. eliz is solid as for who is best vince has good players around him, chucky fair. i will take the kid from unaka over all of them miller is a great shooter but are we talking about complete players. by the time he is a senior chucky will be a d 1 player not doubt.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brock...Vince has taken 8 and Chucky 6 charges. Your point was? As for stats...Chucky stayed in foul trouble the Central game. Against Betsy at their place, Chucky had 29 pts and 11 rebs. I'm not saying Chucky is the MVP because he is our player. No one has done what Chucky has done this year. Even last year, when Vince was MVP, he didn't have the stats that Chucky does this year. Heck, Chucky might not be able to produce the same stats next year as he has done this year. 665 points is a load of points, 350 rebounds. Last year, Vince was MVP hands down. Vince would still be my favorite this year if it weren't for the year Chucky has had. You can reply and try to take away what you want about Chucky, but if you go back a few years and get the stats for the past MVPs of our conference, I'll be willing to bet not many of those MVPs had a year like Chucky Lindholm has had. I can admit that no TEAM has dominated like Betsy has dominated the last two years. Even if Betsy were to get upset Friday by Central, Betsy is still the team to beat going into to Regionals. I take nothing away from LeSeur, the Johnson County boys, Scarsellone, and especially my boys (Vince and BJ), but to have the season Chucky has had...well, I've said it many times already. So, believe what you want.

Good Luck to everyone from District 1-AA. I hope it will be an ALL final four for District 1-AA in the regionals.

[Edited by Stokomo on 2-27-03 12:33A]

ok this will be my last response...i agree with you that Lindholm had a great year, but with all the good seniors in the conference this year how could you give player of the year to a sophmore? I guess the thing is this conference is loaded with talented this year.

P.S. Too bad you guys didn't have the coach you have now 4 years ago when Ryan Moore, Morelock and Richmond and those guys where there. That coach never let them push the ball. I remember everytime we played them if they got a 2 point lead with 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter he would get them into a four corner set and hold the ball. That team could have went to the state that year. Good luck in the regionals.

To me, it doesn't matter what grade a player is in only their performance on the court. Vince is a very intimidating force each team has to deal with when they play the Cyclones but teams don't devise ways to prevent him from scoring like they do for the Lindholm kid. It is like the old argument from the NBA about who was better Shaq or Hakeem. The argument was if both were 6'0 tall which would be the best player? If Vince were not as big as he is would he still score as many, I think not. Size does matter but should not be the determining factor when selecting an MVP. There are quite a few players in the conference who have had good seasons this year but none as good as Lindholms', which makes him very deserving.

Brock...you're talking about Ian Morrison. He was my 8th grade coach at Sevier Middle School. Thanks for the compliment on Coach Whitt. About Chucky being a sophomore, it shouldn't matter about the grade a person is in. And to really say the truth, that shows an even more impressive mark for Chucky.

As for you East TN Sportswriter....I did not give Chucky only leading in points. The kid is averaging a double-double for the entire season. Name one other Sophomore in all of East TN that in any year. If any, there are few in the whole history of East TN basketball. you also said if you take away BJ then Betsy would be around third. That is exactly what I said about Vince. But if you take away Chucky, how many games and what place would we be without him? I think there you answered your own question. Let's see BJ's stats: 15.5 PPG, 43.8% FG, 38.8% 3P-FG, 62.2% FT, 2.7 RPG, 43 STLS, 56 ASSISTS, & only 57 T/O. Chucky has him beat in every category but T/O's. Why? Because Chucky is the Most Valuable to his team. Our offense goes through him. When he has more assists than a guard, then you know Chucky is the guy for the Falcons. Every team knew it and he still put the numbers up. Just because Chucky is NOT on the best team doesn't mean he is not the MVP.

Congrats, Etown. On what you ask? Well, let's say that you are not doing King College any favors by getting on here and spouting off. A college coach like you (as you so OFTEN like to point out to us) you should realize that it takes people skills in order to recruit and downing players from the area from which you will be recruiting from, well... let's just say not smart. I wonder if your future employer knows what you are saying? Coach Whitt played at King as I am sure you are aware of. If they don't know now, I'm sure they will. You may want to keep that resume' up to date. ;)

Chucky is the MVP of his team. There is no debating that. Without him, Volunteer would be still be good, just not as good. The true test of how good Chucky is, will not be known until next year. He loses most of his supporting cast. So, can he step up and be a leader in the manner that B.J. Miller is for Elizabethton. Time will tell. I too, saw the same thing that BRock saw. Chucky could have stepped over and attempted to take a couple of charges early in last nights game, but failed to do so. That sort of dissappointed me. You have to be able to do those things. In my opinion, B.J. Miller is the Player of the Year in the Watauga. He is the leader of that team, pure and simple. He makes them go. I am not taking anything away from Chucky, I just feel that B.J. has all the intangibles you would look for when selecting an MVP. Vince will probably get MVP of the tournament, but you take B.J. away from that team, and there is hole there that can not be filled.

sballer....very good remarks and a Goodie Cookie (mark) for you!!!! I believe that if you take Vince, BJ or Jordan Lambert off that team and put them on another team, any of them CAN put up numbers and become the MVP. But! They have four great players playing together and distributing the ball with one another. They have the POTENTIAL!!! That's the key. Chucky DID put those numbers up. And to tell the truth....I'd much rather have a supporting cast and win like Betsy is doing than to receive an MVP honor. Give Chucky the supporting cast as Betsy, and he will probably not be the MVP of the league. Why? Because he would not be needed to do so much.

I disagree...I think it is great that Stokomo is pushing his player. It's something more coaches need to do. But, let me reiterate something I've said before about Elizabethton. They have so many weapons that it is scary. You more or less have to pick your poison. You almost have to let someone go. Most teams, Volunteer and Central included, can not stop all of the Big Three (Redd, Lambert, Miller). One of them is going to beat you. But back to Stokomo promoting his player...KEEP IT UP!!! Chucky is a great kid, who comes from a great family. I know it is appreciated. When one has the success that Chucky has had this year, some people (inlcuding myself) will look for weaknesses. Chucky is only a sophomore. He will get better and I know that a lot of coaches around here will lose some sleep over the next two years worrying about how to stop him. As the old saying goes "You can't stop him, you only hope you can contain him"!!