Coach of Year gets booed

setter1704tgr

Last night, at the 8A final and consolation games, all the trophies that were awarded were deserved except for one. Coach of the Friendship Commanders Jason Piercey was awarded Coach of the Year. This should not have happened. Everyone else thought that too because he was booed walking out onto the floor. Coach, I wouldn't be to happy about winning this if I were you. :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A won/loss record should not be the only criteria for coach of the year. How did the team perform with what they had? How much did they improve throughout the year and from last season?

I don't know your coach's situation, but winning is not the only thing that makes a coach a "coach of the year" award winner.

The district champ should only be awarded the coach of the year award if he did his job; ethically, morally, and within the structure his administration has for him/her.

As for Coach Hopkins of Dyer Co., there were a few more reasons that the 10-0 record was not a factor.

I don't agree with everything thebeave said. Dyer Co. lost three starters from last year's state tournament team. And last year they didn't go undefeated in the District. I think Coach Hopkins could care less about the honor. Last year he was co-coach of the year with Tim Britt. And he told Britt to take the trophy. And holding a scrimmage when he wasn't supposed too shouldn't be a factor in being coach of the year. He was 10 and 0 in one of the toughest districts in Tennessee and with only two returning starters. Despite his short comings, he deserved Coach of the year this year.

It's not who has the best record that should get awarded. Its who done the best with his team with the talent that he had. If you have the talent to win the district and are expected to get there, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a coach that didn't have the talent like another team and did well with that team through the season, then he should get it. But I don't know anything about yalls district. That might not have been the case.