The Spirtuals Are Done

DeepBall

Who are you Davincia and how long ago did you go to McCallie? I dont know of anyone around town that hates mccallie really. I mean maybe people out in the boonies who wish their kids could get somewhat close to the education available at McCallie. However, most people around town know McCallie is an upstanding school and the guys that go their are upstanding guys. And the remark of whose parents could buy and sell yours. Yeah ok just b/c their house doesnt have wheels doesnt mean they could buy or sell our parents.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey jmeadows and shooter,

It seems clear that you both are proud to be students at McCallie. Such enthusiasm and school spirit are things that many other places could only dream to possess among their student bodies. Likewise, good-natured fun at athletic events does add greatly to this pride, and also to the success of the team.

I would also hazard to assume that there are many elements of the mission of the school with which you both would like to identify. Such would include the ideals of "honor, truth, and duty," as well the oft' engraved words about the campus that state that "man's chief end is to glorify God...." Clearly, beyond the tangible successes that McCallie has, and continues to have with its students in the academic arena, character building is a central pillar of the school; a principle that I'm sure at least on some level you hold as vital to your growth as a human being.

But when you denigrate others with lines such as "that's alright, that's okay, you'll being working for us someday," you denigrate yourselves, your school, and indeed, your Creator. There is no "glory" in words and actions that aim to hurt and belittle others whom you perceive to be less fortunate or less cultured. When you publicly identify yourself and your school with an attitude that mocks those who live in trailers, when you seek to mock local rivals by dressing up as yokels carrying duck decoys and deer targets, you only bring shame to the school that you purport to support.

I come from amongst your ranks. I think that we can and must do better. Be rabid in your support for your schoolmates on the court, on the field, and in our state, and beyond. Be silly in your youthful exuberance and don't lose your sense of humor. Resign yourself to the fact that even if your virtue were to remain untarnished, you would still have your detractors and those who would love to see you fail. But let this be the work of others. Don't bring it upon yourselves by sewing the seeds of hatred and distrust. Glorify yourselves and whatever your notion is of your Creator with gentle kindness.

And for crying out loud, if you're going to spout off about the education that you're receiving, learn the difference between "their" and "there."

sorry i didn't mean to say hate mccallie. i meant to say that they hate what they think mccallie kids are about. when you say things like "thats alright thats ok. your gonna work for us one day" that makes the people who don't know what you're really like feel resentment towards you. to tell the truth, if they could afford it most people in the nooga would send their kids there.

and i was going to mccallie in 9th grade for a short period to see if i would enjoy it. i was to play both soccer and football. i was barely making my grades and my father refused to continue to pay if i wasn't getting anything out of it. i actually did enjoy the spirituals, but it is funny that theyre done (for this year anyway).but you guys ae way too defensive.

oh and why is it that you guys feel that anyone that might disrespect you mccallie boys would have to live in a trailor, some of us live in respectable neighborhoods, and yeah i guess ooltewah is out in the sticks but then again you guys have students from the ooltewah area i do believe. so what does that make them?

[Edited by DaVinci22 on 3-6-03 9:46P]

Here's the bottomline...

Most of the time, what high school you go to doesn't matter. You go to McCallie, then you go to college. You go to a public school, such as Ooltewah or Sodomy Daisy, then you go to college. Sure, there are perks at McCallie that you don't have at public schools, such as facilities and class sizes, but there are also some things that you get at public schools that you don't get at private schools. I am proud to come out of a public school, even though the superintendent is intent on bringing down the quality of education in Hamilton County. I'm now attending a small, private college, and I am enjoying it. As far as who's going to be working for who, sure, there will be public school burger flippers and janitors working for the successful students from McCallie. But likewise, there will be private school burger flippers and janitors working for successful public school graduates. Believe this or not, but high school isn't the end of your education. Colleges are all basically the same, given whether it is an accredited school or not. As far as I say, I'm sure I will have people under me, such as Davinci22...he's already said he'd work for me.