Powell vs. Bearden

mocs30

Should be a great game. I wanted to see what people thought prediction wise. Powell recently won at Bearden 77-68 while Kyle Cruze was still playing. He had 22 that night, but I thought he shot Bearden out of the game in the fourth quarter when Powell took the lead. Obviously, he's gone now, but I don't think that Powell will be overlooking the Bulldogs. They are still a dangerous team, ask William Blount and Farragut. The kids at Powell took the loss to Oak Ridge pretty hard Friday night. I think that they'll come out fired up today for practice though. In actuality the District tournament means very litlle other than for seeding for the Regional. That doesn't mean as much in a region like 2AAA. Honestly, you can make a solid case going into this tournament for Maryville, William Blount, Oak Ridge, Powell, Clinton, or even Bearden winning. Sorry, Farragut and Karns, not going to happen.

belle, do you remember this quote:

"Do not understand how Powell beat Bearden on their home floor. One of the seasons many misteries. Bearden will bounce back and post wins over District 3AAA foes Oak Ridge and Karns and continue this role through the District 4 tournament CHAMPIONSHIP. Beware: Powell need not be on the same side of the region bracket as the Bulldogs."

Well, Powell is there, although a lot has happened since then. I was wondering what you thought.

I've heard good things about the young man who has replaced Cruze, Dickinson or Dickerson is the name I think. I've heard he can shoot it from pretty deep. What's the scoop on Bearden now. I know Cox is a gritty player and a great shooter, reminds me of Sharp out at Clinton. What else is Bearden doing now without Cruze? Does anybody know?

[Edited by mocs30 on 3-3-03 9:54A]

Mocs30, I was wrong. Not going to make any excuses. Really wasn't even close. None of the 3 things that I predicted happened. So what I am about to say next may help ease your mind about tomorrow night's game. I think this will be a wonderful game to watch, maybe the best one Tuesday night. However, I am still going to have to take the Bearden in a close one. To take it one step further, Bearden WILL make it to the finals of the region.

Wow, what a prediction. Powell has a lot of heart and it would not shock me at all to see them do well, but I am going to have to stick with the Bulldogs.

[Edited by belle on 3-3-03 11:16A]

gosh belle, you don't have to eat crow, I'm wrong 3 to 1. Although I did predict Oak Ridge and Powell in the Championship game. I've seen every team in the 2AAA tourney except William Blount. My region 2 prediction:

William Blount v. Karns -- William Blount by 10

Powell v. Bearden -- Powell by 10

Oak Ridge v. Farragut -- Oak Ridge by 15

Clinton v. Maryville -- Maryville by 1 in OT

William Blount v. Powell -- Powell by 2

Oak Ridge v. Maryville -- Maryville by 10

Maryville v. Powell -- Powell by 1 on buzzer beater (oh heck, I can hope can't I?)

[Edited by mocs30 on 3-3-03 12:48P]

If you would have ask me 2 weeks ago I would have said District 4 would sweep the first round. But I didn't know that the best player for Bearden would walk out on his team and I didn't know Maryville would get their worst possible draw.

W.B. Karns- William Blount dosen't need to think they have done anything just because they beat Maryville on Friday Night. If they are still hungover from that big win watchout. I believe they wll struggle early but wake up and prevail by 8.

Powell Bearden- Bearden couldn't beat Powell with their best player and I am afraid that may work against Powell. Bearden is very dangerous because they have a cause. The cause is this TEAM is bigger than one player. They are an angry wounded animal. Powell better be ready. Bearden in a thriller.

O.R. Farragut- I am afraid this will be the yawner of the night especially after the Powell Bearden game. O.R. is to solid and to sound for an average Farragut team. Sometimes I think the kids from Farragut think its not cool to play hard. Another disappointing year for the Admirals. O.R. by 12.

Clinton Maryville- In my opinion this is the worst possible draw for Maryville for 2 reasons. 1. Clinton is vey young and athletic and they think they should win. 2. Clinton feels like Maryville bailed out of a game on them earlier in the season. Well guess what? Maryville can't dodge them tonight and they better strap it on for a wild ride. If Clinton gets happy Maryville is beat. I say Clinton is going to get happy. Looking forward to a great night of basketball at Central. The best part is I don't even have to find a parking place because I can walk to the game.

Maryville by 10 (free throws and lay ups in the end to pull away)

Oak Ridge / Farragut Unlike everyone else I believe this one could be one of the better games of the night.

2 questions

1) Can OR bounce back and play well after a big week?

2) Which Farragut team will show up? This is the most important question because if Farragut brings their A game they are talented enough to play with ANYONE.

With all that said..... OR by 5

Good picks guys, the one thing people tend to agree on is that Farragut won't be able to keep up with Oak Ridge. I'm putting down the eight teams in the order that I think each has of winning the tournament.

1. Maryville -- Plus: Consistently the best team. Minus: Probably the toughest draw of any team in the tournament. Clinton, then Oak Ridge, wow.

2. Powell -- Plus: Because of their personel, they have a great draw for the first potential two game. Bearden is outmatched, and Powell's quickness could give William Blount trouble if they play the Govs. Minus: Too erratic, not good enough to beat anybody on a bad night.

3. William Blount -- Plus: Great size and playing well. Minus: Potential let down from the big win the other night. Might be a little slow for District 3 teams.

4. Oak Ridge -- Plus: Playing well right now and easy first game. Minus: Maryville or Clinton looms. Neither is a picknic, especially Maryville which handily beat the Wildcats earlier this year.

5. Clinton -- Plus: Finally full strength, and quick and big with Morris and Beaman, and getting nice contribution from Freshman Whitt. Minus: Tough draw, looks like a mine field. If they do beat Maryville, would they have a let down? Also, they haven't won a game that meant anything all year.

6. Bearden -- Plus: Playing together and that's a powerful thing at tournament time. Minus: Bearden was down talent-wise even when they had Cruze.

7. Karns -- Plus: Fairly athletic team that has phenomenal shooting nights on occasion. Minus: Weak inside and too streaky to be a solid tournament team. Crane can't carry them by himself.

8. Farragut -- Plus: Pretty capable club with some nice wins. Gibson is solid and so is Frasier. Minus: Don't always play together and they haven't shown much maturity lately. Stupidity cost them the consolation game in the District Tournament.

Very good post mocs30. A couple of points: 1. Look out for Oak Ridge - the key is to take Gulmire out of the game. 2. I think William Blount has a tough draw - the other teams in their bracket are polar opposites to them; however, nine seniors at tourney time is tough to beat 3. I don't know that Powell is versatile enough to win this region ( they play almost exclusive 2-3 zone, although they do it well) 4. Clinton has played the toughest schedule of anyone in the region (don't take my word for it, look at Coach T's rankings) - their philosophy is that all games matter in preparation for tournament time 5. Maryville is probably the best team and on paper, should win the region.