Now is it time for a shot clock?

KevB1990

The time is right for shot clocks. If you want to progress the HS game, then shot clocks to prevent the stalling is the answer. Not only that, but you would get more fans. Have you ever noticed that some schools kids do not show up until the boys games are about to begin? When you ask them, they say the girls game is "too slow" and boring. If you stop this "stalling the game by freezing the ball", things will improve. The "old timers coaches" will not be for a shot clock, but they also are not for AAU, or for college women players. However, if these coaches would encourage their better players to play AAU summer ball, they would see a drastic improvement with some of their players and would see a much better competitive high school team come fall and winter. "You get better by playing with and against better players".

Look at these schools with high 20+ wins. If you do a survey you will find several of their players have played AAU during the late spring and summer.

So old timers coaches, stop downgrading the shot clock and making excuses against it. First, most schools will not have to pay extra as the soft drink companies will furnish these at no charge to get the soft drink business. The new clocks can easily be operated by the normal clock operator with simply clicking a button to re-set the shot clock and is similar to a mouse. Stop making excuses against a shot clock. A fundamental sound player will not rush to get a shot off in 30 seconds. Perhaps you need to work on your own fundamentals if you think that is a reason against a shot clock.

:)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:) bbfan50: I would suggest that you report back to this thread on how many people it takes to operate a college clock. It has the same requirements as what you are proposing. After your report is in, then we will discuss how viable it is in the high school level. Thank you.

I don't believe a shot colock is necessary. If a coach thinks he/she is outmatched and holding the ball is the best chance of winning, so be it (I'm not an old timer either). I am not familiar with these teams, but I would guess that at least one of these teams had already lost in the tournament. My point, quit rewarding losing in the Tennessee tournament; only winners should advance - you then have a much less chance of mismatches and therefore stallball.

I would like to see the shot clock in hs ball. It adds greatly to the excitement in the AAU games and give a better all around game. As for expense, the schools don't seem to have trouble when they host an AAU tournament, so why not during the season.

Installation of the shot clock would cost a lot for each school and as earlier poster said someone would have to run it. The shot clock would have to be used for girls, boys, freshman, and JV games. Before the game last night have you heard any discussion on a shot clock? There were more than 6,000 high school boys and girls basketball games played this year an only ONE even approached this score.

The shot clock is not the answer to solving the problem of a stall. A stall is a perfectly legitimate means to try to win a ball game. It shows that the Coach that is using the stall is willing to use any aspect of the rules to try to win the game. In the Chester County game it almost worked. The object of Coaching games in March is advancement and they all most did that. What would you people be saying if they had won. Most would say the Coach was a genius. Who cares how bored it made the fans? Bottom line is the team almost got the win through a perfectly executed game plan. And one more thing, it takes two Coaches to stall a game. Chester County was content to let them hold it. If they were such a dominating team then they would have came out and pressured them out of the stall. Don't try to discredit the wonderful game of high school basketball because a Coach TRIED TO WIN.

And ... even if this game started a trend it would be short-lived. Imagine if a school did this every game -- attendance would drop dramatically and the coach would probably "be encouraged to stop the tactics" by the whole community and his/her peers.

Just enjoy an occasional game like this and move on --

Guest beepbeep

Adding a shot clock to the HS game is absurd. Do we want HS ball to resemble AAU - have you sat through an AAU game - talk about boring ( rec league) - if the offense has the ball, it is up to the defense to get it back - that's basketball --- let's not screw up a good thing, LEAVE THE GAME ALONE

ROBJIM; answer

For your information, new clocks have the capability for a shot clock with a single button hand held device. I know because I own 4 of these and I have high school students run these. The same clock operator simply holds this device in their hand and clicks it to re-set it when a shot touches the rim. The normal clock stops the shotclock when there is a time out or a referee whistle and is tied in through the normal scoreboard.

Therefore, the excuse of another operator simply for a shot clock is not valid. Anyone that can run a scoreboard can run the shot clock at the same time. It is not at all difficult. They simply have to pay attention to the game.

If you do not believe me then call Coke and Pepsi. The same clock manufacturer makes both of their scoreboards and will tell you the same thing.

It is noteworthy to tell you that AAU has their own seperate shot clocks and these are moved from gym to gym. THIS TYPE DOES REQUIRE A SEPERATE OPERATOR. But the simplier way and least expensive is to have your soft drink scoreboard supplier to supply a shot clock on a permanent basis. :)