Oak Ridge Who?

scbballfreak

Oak Ridge has an amazing athletic program. But don't tell me they didn't do things on their way up there to get it that way. I don't want to step on toes, but everyone around here knows that there has to be something going on for Oak Ridge to get all the players that they have. Look at the roster for this year and look where the girls are from. Where did they go to middle school??? Middle schools are supposed to be FEEDER PROGRAMS to the high schools. Oak Ridge had their middle schools in OR. Clinton has theirs in Clinton, but it is a wierd thing that only a few of the good ones go to Clinton. Anderson County even has their middle schools up there. A.C. and Clinton and probably other places have lost their share of players to Oak Ridge. You have at least 2 Clinton girls who played for you during the past 4 years that brought glory to the Oak Ridge program that should have been playing their 4 years at Clinton High school. OS91, do you know what you are talking about? Lets go back to ummmmm 98 or 99 and look at that season. Amazing season and our point guard pulled her hamstring and played the enitre game with it and that's the only reason that Clinton did not go into regionals and dominate. The past 10 years have been great to Clinton basketball. That was over a 20 win season, thats great for ANY team. Have you seen the athletes that have came out of Clinton??? Dedrick Dye, Torree Morris, and others who have decided not to play sports the rest of their life, but decide to buckle down in school and turn down numerous offers. Do your homework before you go off about O.R. and Clinton. When you talk badly about the last 10 years of CLinton basketball that is a slap in the face to me and hits very personal. Maybe you should watch what you say about other coaching staffs before someone jumps on what Oliver Springs has been like. That Laura Hall is one of the greatest players to ever come through Oliver Springs. I grew up around Oliver Springs and Oliver Springs sports so I know my share of things. I even attended Norwood Middle School and was coached by the Bass sisters when I was younger. I played sports every year for the boys club and grew to be apart of that town, but don't diss a basketball program that you don't know too much about. They have a young team this year and next, but they have gained experience. Thats all I'm gonna say, but if you wanna chat about this more, I'll be happy too.......

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I more than know what Im talking about - the real question is DO YOU?

Just waht was your overall record in 98? I think it hovered around .500-and that's not an amazing record. Regardless of injury to a PG, Clinton womens basketball had not made it to the region until this year since 91 season and before that year CLinton was always the weakest team in the district since the format of 5 on 5 in Tennessee basektball. That 91 Lady Dragon team was a solid team that upset Oak Ridge ( first time) and other teams to advance to the state tourney. Shelley Sexton ( Former Lady Vol) was the coach that year and only stayed at Clinton 2 years before bolting for greener pastures at an average basketball program at karns ( she now coaches at Webb).

The fact of the matter is, until Lively Snyder became Clinton coach Clinton has lacked real leadership from any coach. This has lead to CLinton middle school players to look elsewhere. You cant blame Oak Ridge for having a coach like Jill Pruden who has contacts with some of the elite coaches in the country and its Blue Star Camps that allow for college oppurtunities her contacts with Mike Flynn, recruting services, and other camps thorugh her hard work and dedication. Prudden is a big time coach and ensures her players have the oppurtunities and avenues to colleges. Of course as one poster mentioned, Lyn Burkey was instrumental in ORHS success as well. CLinton hasnt had anyone to even come close to taking care of its players or to give the stability Prudden has given oak Ridge. Blaming Oak Ridge and throwing ignorant accusations when what you should be doing is helping imporve CLinton who has a great young coach in Snyder putting the ACCOUTABLITY on Clinton, not the placing blame on Oak Ridge which is one of the ELITE PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY and its not becasue they recruit, its becasue their coaching staff are dedicated to their program and give their players 110 percernt as they expect from their players.

Yes, I have seen Oliver Springs/Norwoord players attend oak Ridge. Beck Joe Lee, Jennifer Raby, Womens basektball Adrian Porter, Kevin Brown, Halston lane ( sigend with Georgia Tech) in mens basektball. Wolf( played at univ. of North Carolina, Lyn hart ( tennesee tech)- you dont see OS people up in arms about Norwood kids that attend CLinton do you? Torree Morris ( Pitt) and other great Clinton players It's an individual preference and to blame other schools is a waste of energy.

[Edited by OS91 on 4-2-03 1:04P]

I have taught with the Mcginnis's girls mother for many years(who live in Powell), and know for a fact they were asked to come personally, so people are not spitting in the wind here. Granted they have a great program no doubt, but it is done with players who should be else where. If a player in Anderson county wants to go I understand, but players that live outside the county that's ridiculous. Yes, they do have a coaching staff that is good, but the best one is no longer there. I believe we all know who that is.

Guest doitnow

If you mean Lynn Burkey, you are correct that he is gone. He was an important part, but Coach Prudden was successful long before he came on the scene. He got too big for his own good and it is best for all concerned that he left. He should have gone and found his own program years ago. He enjoys making others miserable or least he did at OR for the past few years. As far as the McGinnis girls coming to OR, if they were asked, it was probably by Coach Burkey and without the knowledge of the person in charge. As far as someone outside of Anderson Co. attending OR Schools, I do believe we still have a choice in the country to attend school wherever we wish to attend. If someone is saying that the McGinnis girls were asked to come to OR by a member of the coaching staff other than Lynn Burkey they are not telling the truth. That is not the way Coach Prudden works. Too much class. I guess that is just another way to start rumors, which is what this is probably all about anyway. Have a great and glorious day.

OH, if only......I do know what I'm talkin about there bud, only I told you the wrong year. It was the 97 season that the Clinton girls had a 20 win season and the year before that they had almost the same. The year that you were talking about when they had a 500 season, oh yeah that was the year that they got the new coach.

I don't know what else to tell you because I have no idea who you are and you have no clue who I am, I'm just telling you that you should watch what you say about coaching staffs like I said it speaks badly of me and hits me very personally. And whenever you would like to get together and talk about some real basketball I live right outside of the land of OZ and would be glad to show you the stats from that year.

It seems you are ok with slamming the Oak Ridge Program and its coaches, but when someone states the obvious truth that Clinton hasnt had a stable womens program and has only been to the region tourney twice in last 23 years, you cry FOUL.

Again, if you love CLinton to the extent you seem you would be better prepared putting you energy supporting a brilliant young coach in Tonya Lively Snyder who has brought respect to Clinton womens basketball than crying about recruiting and FALSE allegations.

[Edited by OS91 on 4-5-03 7:12P]

[Edited by OS91 on 4-5-03 7:13P]

Guest mayflower

first of all let's clarify the anderson co. school districts: 1. anderson co. consists of CLINTON MIDDLE, NORWOOD MIDDLE, NORRIS MIDDLE, ANDERSON CO. HIGH SCHOOL AND CLINTON HIGH SCHOOL (didn't list elementry). if you live anywhere in anderson co. including oak ridge you may attend any of these schools, with permission if you provide your own transportation. if you live outside the district (i.e. live in norris and want to attend clinton high school). oak ridge city schools are just that, the schools located in the city limits, jefferson, robertsville, orhs and elem. If you live in norris and want to attend orhs you will pay tuition.

So OS91, Morris' district is Clinton High School, transporation is provided. If he attended Oliver Springs he would actually be attending a ROANE COUNTY school.

Second as far as Oak Ridge recurits I will list those that I know and will probably leave some off.

jennifer wilson - lake city

brandi long - clinton

natalie bible - clinton

staci long - clinton - only played 1 maybe 2 years

jenny d - clinton - only played 1 year

mcginnis (sp?) - powell

mcginnis - powell

danielle barnard - tazwell (not sure)

stephanie holbrook - clinton

britney frazer - clinton

angela phillips - clinton

and it seems a girl from campbell county and scott county transfered back after one year.

its not just about who contributed to the OR program. think about it, if OR can get the girl to come her fresh year and if she stays with the program thats fine, if she doesn't and goes home, (she'll have to sit a year) that is still 2 years she could have possibly made a big difference at her school helping her team. and OR still helped their program because of the distraction of losing a player from your team, and weakening the competition. most of it was berky but look around at the old goons who follow these girls and do some of the aau coaching.

and why do these girls think pruden turns girls into young ladies???? hasn't your mother or father told you that you will become a young lady regardless? maybe you need to explain more. one thing i could see pruden doing is giving them that famous OR attitude, that you are so much better than everyone else. but take a good look at your self in the mirror, behind all that tooth bleaching, hair bleaching, tanning bed, i have wonderful hair, i am number one attitudes you my friend are no BETTER than anyone else. sorry hate to pop your bubble. be yourself.

Typical responses of poeple that dont put accountabilty and assist their program and hate anyone/school that has been successful.

And yes, Toree Morris did grow up in Oliver SPrings, but was in the Anderson County school district. However OS gets about half of these players from Norwood so no spilled milks as I was saying. OS doesnt complain, so Clinton shouldnt complain.

Also, that was some cheap shot refering to Oak Ridge players as tanning bed, hair gel, and other things. Seems maybe your dislike for Oak Ridge stems alot more than their coaching staff, maybe its just more cultural( could use another word) and if that's the case then I could see why you would not like Oak Ridge. It's 2003, get over it.

Guest mayflower

NO, YOU GO FIGURE.

YOU along with others stated YOUR opinion, and I stated MINE, whether you like it or not.

My observations are my opinion. I was stating that all of the "cosmetic trickery" doesn't not make the person nor the player, it's just a make believe world to them. It just doesn't appear healthy. My "cheap shot" is a litte deeper than you could possibly understand, so an explaination is not forthcoming.

Figure this...

2AA? 3AAA?...2AA? 3AAA? If you would turn YOUR negativity into postive input your program then you possibly would have more than "one" player. It takes all 5 girls, playing TEAM ball, it also takes all the players that sit on the bench game after game to make the ones who do get to play better.

KUDOS to those girls who sit the bench, and all the girls who play at THEIR school, in THEIR district, in THEIR community with THEIR team!! I hope you all have wonderful memories.

Thanks for backing me up when it came to the Clinton and Oak Ridge stuff. OS91, I already told ya I don't want to start nothing just open your eyes a little wider and on'tbe so close minded. I have never said anything negative about the coaching staff at Oak Ridge, I think they are all gifted, but like I said stay off of Clinton's. And you don't want to get me started with the Snyder subject, thats all I'm gonna leave it at. Gifted, yes, just some other things get in the way. But I'm tired of going back and forth with you about this because there is no reason too, so until you have something worth saying stay off of my back about all this and MAYFLOWER KEEP IT UP!!!!