Parallel Squat

BigRed62

no, a power pull is not a hang clean.

-it's exactly like a hang clean except for the "getting under it" part. The lift stops with your elbows pointing up. In other words, your trying to get the bar as high as you can without snapping under it.

-Good mornings:

very dangerous if not done right. We stay away from these unless we do them without weight-for strethcing purposes.

1.Stand with feet shoulder width apart.

2.Both hands behind your head(of course if using weight, the bar would be on your shoulders like a squat.)

3.While keeping your back arched-sticking your butt out, shoulders back, and keeping your head up, simply bend at the waist. Much like the hang clean, if your doing it right, you won't be able to go very far. When you feel a stretch in your lower back-Stop.

--Again, I only recommend these with body weight only. The famous Louie Simmons uses these along with his Romanian style lifts.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this may be a stupid question. But how much weight is about right for the power pulls and the jump shrugs? I mean I no that prolly sounds stupid but are u trying to do heavy weight or high reps, or do u just mix it up like everything else? The most I have ever cleaned is 225 , but i am absolutely positive I could get 230 or maybe even 235, so could someone just give me an estimate on how much to do on those auxs . Well, i appreciate tha help, cya

For example, one of my players today was doing power cleans at 3x5 with 145 pounds. The very next exercise was power pulls and his sets were set at 3x5 with 170 pounds. Before he began he said,"I can't clean this much." He later realized that the heavier you can train on the pulls, then the more weight you will be able to clean. You can train heavier on pulls due to the fact that you are not getting under it and controlling it, you are just pulling it as high as possible.