White Station versus DB

TheEgoHasLanded

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't that nice of him to give the ball up to Pattman per the article in the Commercial Appeal. He should enjoy that commaradery while he can because when he starts playing (if he ever does) with the big boys in D1, things will be slightly different. And maybe I have blinders on, but for the life of me I can't understand how he was signed by UT, and what makes him so good that he is a candidate for Mr. Basketball. Perhaps Daddy is being influential? Hmmmm.

But I will say that Coach Tippett is very supportive of his players, and does help with placing them somewhere.

the fact that teams from different years could beat this years WS team is irrelevant! that's why THIS YEAR they are 11th in the nation, which was chosen by a group of professionals that do this year in and year out. so you think the top 6 teams in the state are from memphis? well i would venture to say that if that was the case then their would have been 6 teams in AAA from Memphis but there wasn't! there wasn't even 6 from west tn!! so what happened?? they obviously got beat because they weren't good enough. i will not deny that white station is the best team in the state (partly because they have 2 starting line ups that are better than most schools first starting five) but just because west tennessee does have good basketball don't sell out east tn! bradley has a good chance this year but if they fall short this year, you can bet they will be in the boro next year, taking home the gold ball cuz they have 9 juniors and 2 sophomores! also you gotta be joking if you think dane bradshaw is not good! there are reasons that MANY recruiters have him on their lists and that coach peterson signed him. sounds like someone never got a D1 offer and may be kinda jealous!

[Edited by HotSauce11 on 3-21-03 3:43P]

HotSauce - part of the reason why there are not more Memphis teams at state is because of the way teams get there. Each region can only send a certain number of teams. While there may be a bunch of really good teams in one region, another region may have NO good teams, but SOMEBODY'S got to go from those regions.

Ok, so three Memphis teams made it to sectionals. Out of two regions that Memphis is involved in (7,8), Memphis sent 3 of 4 teams. That's pretty good seeing as how one of those regions (7) barely even reaches Memphis Metro area and not even half of the region 7 teams are Memphis metro. Region 8 with White Station and Hamilton had the other two teams. If you look at sectionals, Memphis teams were 2-1, but only because two Memphis teams had to play each other. (Bartlett lost to White Station.) So that left us with two Memphis teams in the state tournament. After one round, they are both still there. For the championship game, they will both probably still be there. It's not like Memphis teams have a choice on how many teams go to state. So don't try and tell us that Memphis should have done better if we're really that much of a basketball powerhouse this year. Memphis is doing pretty darn good. But if we could choose six AAA teams to send to state, then they would probably be:

1. White Station

2. Hamilton

3. East

4. Fairley

5. Bartlett

6. Kirby

I'm not sure what other Memphians think of my list, and it was not intended to in ranking format, but I think all of these teams could play at state this year and give teams like Bradley, Hendersonville, and Dobyns Bennett a good run for their money, if not beat them.

:rolleyes:

HotSauce, give me a break!! LOL, you must not have a clue. Memphis is only allowed to send 2 teams from AAA, lol (this includes Jackson and West TN AAA teams, which have also proved to be better than East TN teams (Dyersburg only loses to Hamilton by 1 and Bartlett plays White Station close)). If you wanted the best competition at the state year in a year out, give us Bradley Central, Columbia and 6 teams from Memphis and even West TN. First off, read my other posts CLEARLY, then rephrase your post. I said White Station is the best team in the state this year, hands down, but this is a DOWN year for basketball in TN and the only reason why I made a reference to teams from past years being better than them is b/c they are RANKED 11th in the nation. If you know ANYTHING about national rankings, let me ask you a few questions about them. Are the sames team there year after year? YES. Are teams that have nationally ranked players usually on there? YES. ECT.) I believe White Station is prolly somewhere in the top 50-100 teams in the nation but not 11th. The fact is that you get ranked by program tradition, a player name (i.e. Bradshaw), what big tourneys you play in, where you play in the summer, ect), anyone that knows anything will tell you this. White Station is a VERY GOOD BASKETBALL TEAM; the best in TN this year but not the 11th best team in the nation and I BET if you asked Terry Tippett that, he'd laugh and agree w/ you. Many people that I respect and have spoken to agree. And don't come on here making crazy accusations that i'm jealous b/c I don't think Bradshaw is that good. That's ridiculous. Let me rephrase what I think about Dane Bradshaw b/c I sometimes get carried away speaking about him, and even before I get into this, am I the only one that feels like that about him on this board? OK. Anyway, I feel like Dane Bradshaw has benefited from playing at White Station. If you stick him at ECS, CBHS, Germantown (ect.) he isn't who he is. He is a VERY good basketball player and the type of player that you love to play w/. He is a very tough kid, the textbook role player, a great passer, knows the game, and most of all...he's a winner. BUT, would of he gone SEC if he was at somewhere else than White Station? I really doubt it. Dane Bradshaw has benefitted from the fact that Earnest Shelton came through White Station. Shelton came through, played on a GREAT team, earned pub., got in good w/ NIKE teams and NIKE camp (since then White Station has become a NIKE team). Therefore, Bradshaw was allowed to follow the same route. I can guarentee you that each year, White Station will send a kid to NIKE camp. In closing, I think Dane Bradshaw is a very good basketball player and would love to play with him, but do I think he's SEC? nope.

[Edited by TJ on 3-21-03 4:19P]

[Edited by TJ on 3-21-03 4:21P]

Jealous? Ha Ha.. I could give a fat rat's rear end about that. I am way beyond that. I dont play the game, so I wouldnt qualify to play at some elementary school. I am just stating my opinion about him (which I am entitled to). I may have missed something along the way; I just dont see him being top D1 material. But oh well; maybe he will make Memphis proud one of these days. God knows we need it.

Oh, and who are some of those other coaches that had him on their list.. just curious.

[Edited by misterbarx on 3-21-03 5:29P]

Man you never know who will pan out and who won't.

I have been pretty tough on Bradshaw, but the truth is, hes a solid player. He is a leader and a winner. He is not a selfish player. Solid ball handler, can rebound, defend...and he plays HARD! Hes playing at UT, which is HIGH D1...its that simple. I kinda get on him because he doesn't do anything great. Doesn't have great size (6'3)...doesn't have great speed...doesn't have a great outside shot, Doesn't have a 40 inch vertical, etc. The fact is, his team is awesome and hes the captain of them. I think its easy not to get excited about him. At the Nike camp I believe his team lost every game that he didn't play in, but went undefeated when he played. I know of several less heralded players in the city that later went on to become pretty special...(Antonio Burks and John Grice for Memphis were not the best players in the city their senior year and they are very good players now). I wish him the best, and I know that Buzz Peterson knows a lot more about basketball than me and probably everyone on this site. Every program needs a player like Bradshaw. Look at Memphis...they didn't do anything when they had Wagner...but when they had a guy that worked and battled like Carney and Hunt, they were much more productive. Look at Chris Massie, the man changed his attitude and became much more productive. There are other guys in the tiger program Shannon Foreman, Sunday Adebayo, Justin Wimmer :)

I hope he does well...I'll see it first hand next year at Thompson Boiling.

Yeah Memphis is kings in baseball too, from Dulins Dodgers to Germantown Red Devils (Mythical National Champions in 96? I believe) to Houston High School (ranked #15 in the country two years ago) to CBHS (ranked #9 in the country).

I believe Houston had a player last year who was picked in the first round...like number 15 or 25? Anyway, he makes a lot of money for an 18 year old.

Memphis is the only part of Tennessee that doesn't have school lines drawn. Kingsport, Johnson City, Greeneville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville all have school lines drawn and have to pay tuition for anybody that goes over those lines. Memphis however does not have those lines and can pull kids from anywhere in west tennessee or from anywhere else for that matter. West tennessee should either draw lines or Whitestation should become a private school and go play against oakhill and lebron james' team.

Everybody knows I'm right.

Banana Bowl 2003 :confused: