White Station versus DB

TheEgoHasLanded

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ego.....open enrollment in itself does not help White Station with their team. What helps is through open enrollment, parents can send their children to the best school available. And White Station is funded a little bit differently than the others. They are, without a doubt, the top school in Memphis academically. The GAP between them and the next best school is ridiculous. I'm not complaining over the situation, because if my child was in the same position, I'd do the same thing. In East TN, it doesn't matter where I live....my daughters are going to a city school, probably DB even if I had to pay tuition or move inside city limits. The difference is widely towards DB for academics, no question!!! :)

Open Enrollment is used for different purposes...I'll list them.

White Station offers some classes for hearing impaired students that many schools don't have.

Germantown offers classes like news and radio broadcasting.

There are many other classes that other schools don't offer, that is why open enrollment is used. The Memphis City School Board cares about the 99% of students that are not playing basketball, and if the students and the student parents are not happy, then they will be asked to resign.

Memphis Overton has one of the best performing art programs in the city. They are one of the few schools that still has art classes. Then you have schools like Whitehaven who have awesome bands and many kids want to go to those schools just to be in the band and hopefully get a scholarship. Ridgeway has the Clue program Creating Learning in a Unique Enviroment. White Station has the advanced honors program that finished in the top 30 in average composite overall ACT score a few years ago.

Open enrollment is used for other reasons, you all just think of basketball...just the idea that the schools would let any one in who can play basketball who is 14 is kinda funny to think about. Schools and teachers dont stay in business for winning sports teams, they stay in business by keeping kids educated.

Ego, I know you know this, but Germantown isn't a city school. They have a moire involved Channel One program than most of the county schools, but they aren't in the city and don't have open enrollment.

Were you thinking of Craigmont, maybe? I think they have some sort of broadcasting program.

Craigmont does have that Opperman, and they also have a really neat science program...I mean, what other school in the city, even the state, has its own PLANETARIUM other than Craigmont? Elementary and jr. high schools always take field trips to Craigmont for its planetarium. Memphis schools have different things to offer for students who want to go different routes...one school can't offer ALL of this stuff and if you are in a town of 3000 where everyone goes to the same high school and all of the tax dollars are allocated just for that school, its easy to sit back and complain about open enrollment this, open enrollment that when you have no idea what it takes to run or have a kid in a public school system in a major metropolitan area. We are entitled to the same programs as everyone else in the state, but sometimes, the problems with urban areas complicate things and the tax dollars have to be spread out among schools. If you want everything in one school, its best to private school your kid like my mom did or send them to White Station...pure and simple. And not everyone can go, the less smart you are, the harder it is for you to get in if you don't live in the school zone and are not in any of the special programs (optional, CLUE English, etc.)

My mom teaches at craigmont, in the planetarium actually, and i have grown up seeing kids, black white privlidged and poor, come through her door and leave with a great education and love for science. I have talked to some of these kids who use open enrollment to get themselves to a better place in life, and you know what, not a single one of them was an athlete. Find me proff somewhere that everyone of those white station kids live outside there district then you might have an argument