Ooltewah

Picasso

I think Ooltewah may have an off year this year and not make it to the playoffs. It's going to be tough without the stellar play of Grant Freeman who graduated last year. One can only hope he brings the same fire to the team coaching this year as he did as a player last year. Any other thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're correct on that one. His presence at practice everyday makes the Owls tick. His knowledge of soccer and the respect the players give him is unlike anythings else. He was a great player on the JV team for many years,4, but the was lacked speed. Other than that he's an excellent player as well as coach. He is helping the well known Bill Winchester who is turning around both boys and girls programs at Ooltewah.

Kcteagle, If I remember correctly the Owls have gone on athleticism alone the past few years. It's been years since the Owls have had a coach with some knowledge of the game. Coach Winchester has brought knowledge to this team that has lacked from years past. This years team is not loaded with superstars but the great coaching has made this team a threat. Winchester stresses the small things that make a good team great.

Guest cookiemonster

well chickenhead, you made some very good points. although i don't know how grant made any great contributions to the team besides cheerleading and keeping the bench warm, but ok . and i agree with you on the defensive point. ooltewah needs to work on their defense but i think at the end of the year ooltewah will be a great defensive team. they have not had many games, so the chemistry is not there. the only way to get chemistry is to play together and that is why they will be a great defensive team come tournament time along with the outstanding coaching of grant freeman. although he wasn't the best player, he is a great announcer(i especially love his scottish accent) and a great coach... what more can you ask from a guy?

Guest str8trippinBOO

I have to say Grant is an idiot. Save the heated opinions for those who actually played. Last year's loss in the post season cannot be blamed in anyway on the coaching; just as it cannot be placed on a single player. The Owls had opportunities all season long that they did not capitalize on. While coaching could have made a small difference, the problem lied in the attitude of some of the players. Every coach on the planet will tell you that you can't coach desire.

As far as coach getting a card, that is a lame excuse to place blame on someone else for a bad end to a good season. Besides you would be pretty pissed if you just got slapped with a $250 dollar fine and a two game suspension after the game was over and all you said was "My two year old neice could have reffed the game better." I said much worse than that to the ref on the field and only received a warning.

When you have something intelligent to say about the owls soccer program let me know.

Takedown3.... Justin Givens scoring 23 goals in a year and being player of the year seems like pretty good use to me. Also Justin had the chance to go and play D1 soccer and chose insted to goto a school that had the program that he was looking for. Not everything in the world relvoves around D1 athletic programs. Just like the recent commerical says. Threre are over 360,000 student athletes in the NCAA and most of them are not going to be professionals in something other than their sport. I allpaud Justin for his choice to look to his long term future and happines, not short term glory.

Davinci... You should use the advice in the statement "It is better for people to think you are a fool than to open your mouth and prove it." You need to know what you are talking about before you give details to a situation. Espically when you are accusing people of doing things that did not happen.