ALL STATE SELECTIONS

OS91

Ever read the Livingston Daily Journal. Exactly.

AP All-state team is chosen by sportswriters and media gurus. They write for newspapers or work for other media outlets. They tend to favor and vote for hometown players. Nothing wrong with this necessarily.

Rural areas (no press) or non-voting members at newspapers create the imbalance on this team. Many deserving and even more deserving players are discriminated against or left off the teams entirely. The only answer is to start your own hometown paper, get your sports editor as a voting member, and vote your hometown players on the team.

Take all these individual honors with a grain of salt. Congratulate your hometown kids if they make an all-star team. They may very well deserve it. But there may be some in another area of Tennessee that are equally or more deserving.

Thats why they play the games and keep score.

Thats why it is a team sport.

[Edited by salty on 3-28-03 8:08P]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kendall and Katrina were not competing with Laura for a spot in the first team (or any team). These teams are groups of players that you could actually put on the floor and play a basketball game with... a guard or two, a couple of powerful forwards/wings, and at least one towering player in the middle.

So, to answer your question, the reasons Kendall and Katrina are not on the first team are Brittany Frazier and Krystal Horton.

With Ashleigh Newman on the second team also, the total comes to five super forwards that would be hard to choose between. I know I couldn't pick, but I also wouldn't complain about being on a team with Ashleigh Newman either.

I've heard that Buley has an attitude and that probably hurt her. Rumors, whether true or not, can kill a player on all-star voting. I don't have a vote on the All-State team, but I imagine that those who do have heard the same thing. I've not seen her enough to know, but that's what I've heard.

How in the world does Buley from S.Doyle and Broyhill from Sevier County not make the ALL-State team. At the very least, 3rd team. Those two girls were easily the best 2 players that I've seen along with Mcmahan from Heritage including the State Tourny. Someone mentioned a girl's attitude might have been the reason she didn't make it. I didn't realize that being ALL-STATE was a personality contest. I might be old school, but the top 15 most dominant players in the state should fill out the All STate team. There's no way that there are 15 players in the state that are better than Buley and Broyhill.