Worth/Lady Raider Southern Inv.

TopGun1

Who are the early favorites for what is expected to be one of the best tournaments of the year? At a later date, I will post some games and times for those who are interested in watching some great softball.

Participants include:

Boyd-Buchanan, Soddy Daisy, Ezell, Lipscomb, Coffee, Beech, St.Bennedict, Goodpasture, Hendersonville, GPS, Hoover AL, Pisgah AL, Clay-Chalkville AL, Owensboro Catholic KY,

Terry MS, and East Central MS.

Each team will have three pool games that will not affect seeding into a single elim. tournament. Every team is top-notch from their state, so the quality of ball should be high.

Early prediction:

Soddy can be beaten on an one game basis, but will be hard to beat in the later rounds. If not beaten in the first round of the tournament, expect Soddy to be around due to pitching. Do not know lots about the out of state teams except that they are the best from their state. Great teams have an opportunity to lose four games this weekend!!!!!!

[Edited by TopGun1 on 3-30-03 12:50P]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I would have picked an Alabama team to win, since

they won most of the inter-state tournaments including Brentwood, Bob Jones, and Border Battle. This year the

Alabama teams appear to be down a little bit, though they

could still win it. I would have to go with the teams with

the most pitchers and all around defense and offense. That

appears to be Soddy and Beech. Too bad Maryville is not in

it to stake a claim. Anyway since Beech has tied for the

championship of its last two tournaments, I'll pick a tie

between them and Soddy. Goodpasture will hang in there as

well as Coffee, but both will come up a little bit short to

my predicted co-champions. There are a lot of other good teams in it, but overall they don't have as much in the pitching, hitting, or defensive departments to outlast my

top two picks in seven games. If it rains, then all bets

are off since a lot of teams in it could win 3 or 4 in a

rain shortened tournament. I believe the long range

forecast is calling for rain.

:D;):rolleyes:

http://www.eteamz.com/ccladyraiders/

I would like to remind everyone that all the information about the games are on the website. We believe there will be a Very Good showing of college coaches in our tournament. We hope for the hardcore fans to show up and get some great ball games in.

We have maps of the area and maps of sponsoring restaurants available to print off from the website. If anyone needs more info just hop on our site's message board and we'll help all we can. The latest word we have in Manchester is that just about all 1355 rooms are filled in Manchester this weekend. If you still need a room, better hurry. ;)

Here are the pool play games.

Friday April 4

4:00

Coffee County vs. Ezell-Harding

Hendersonville vs. Soddy Daisy

GPS vs. Goodpasture

4:15

Beech vs. Boyd Buchanon

5:30

Coffee County vs. David Lipscomb

Hendersonville vs. St. Benedict

GPS vs Pisgah, AL

5:45

Ezell-Harding vs. Hoover, AL

7:00

Boyd Buchanon vs. Owensboro Catholic, KY

Beech vs. Clay-Chalkville, AL

St. Benedict vs. Terry, MS

East Central, MS vs. Goodpasture

7:15

David Lipscomb vs. Pisgah, AL

Saturday April 5

8:30

East Central, MS vs. GPS

9:00

Beech vs. Terry, MS

Goodpasture vs. Hoover, AL

Hendersonville vs. Owensboro Catholic, KY

10:00

Soddy Daisy vs. St. Benedict

10:30

Coffee County vs. Pisgah, AL

Boyd Buchanon vs. Clay-Chalkville, AL

David Lipscomb vs. Hoover, AL

East Central, MS vs. Ezell-Harding

11:30

Owensboro Catholic, KY vs. Terry, MS

Certainly, there is no way that all the top programs can all

be in the same tournament. Not only Maryville, but also Unicoi, Davidson Academy, Greenbrier, and a number

of other teams that will go to State could not make it to

this tournament for whatever reason, that does not matter

anyway. Still, though this is as good a concentration of the top programs in the state that could possibly be

assembled. Should be fun, no matter what the end results

for the teams are, since there is not a bad team here, all

good teams that could beat anybody on any given day.

Just hope it does not get rained out!

;):(:D:D;)

(you can see I've already ran thru the gamut of emotions!)

Also, since many colleges will be playing, who are the ones

that will be at the tournament (era, topgun, or anyone

know?)

It is true that Maryville was invited to the Tourney, but already had prior commitments. This was partly due to us getting the tournament up so late. This is the first year for the tourney, so I would say that the lineup is pretty stout. Next year we have commitments from several more KY, AL teams and possible teams from VA and NC. Other teams that could not make the tourney were Davidson, BA, Dickson Co. I think I contacted Father Ryan, but am not sure. We do not have an abundance of fields and wanted each team to play at least one game on our high school field.

Over 100 invitations were sent out to various colleges over TN, KY, GA, and AL. Every SEC school was also contacted. We are having a coaches social on Fri. night. Colleges are in the middle of their season so it is difficult for some to come. College coaches who plan to be in attendance include: Arkansas, UTC, Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, NC State, Louisville, various NAIA and JUCO. MTSU has a game, but is sending someone. Again, this tourney was kind of a last minuite idea, but we worked hard to do it the best. Next year, we would like to have somewhat of a combine on Thur. night for seniors to make the tourney better. If anyone has any ideas for this weekend to help make the tourney better, please post and let me know. Another thing, can we get Coach T to come to Manchester for some photos and PR? Please post so that I can get in touch. You can also come to the Coaches social. Call Coffee Co. High and ask for Coach Breeden or Coach Finney.

[Edited by TopGun1 on 3-30-03 10:16P]

[Edited by TopGun1 on 3-30-03 10:30P]

Pool Play Schedule Lady Raider Field (CHS)

Friday

4:15 Beech/Boyd-Buchanan

5:45 Ezell-Harding/Hoover,Al.

7:15 David Lipscomb/Pisgah,Al.

Saturday

8:30 East Central, Ms./GPS

10:00 Soddy Daisy/St. Benedict

11:30 Owensboro Catholic, Ky./Terry, Ms.

Dave King Park (Field # 6)

Friday

4:00 Hendersonville/Soddy Daisy

5:30 Hendersonville/St. Benedict

7:00 Beech/Clay-Chalkville, Al.

Saturday

9:00 Goodpasture/Hoover, Al.

10:30 Boyd-Buchanan/Clay-Chalkville

Dave King Park (Field # 7)

Friday

4:00 Coffee County/Ezell-Harding

5:30 Coffee County/David Lipscomb

7:00 Boyd-Buchanan/Owensboro Catholic, Ky.

Saturday

9:00 Beech/Terry, Ms.

10:30 Coffee County/Pisgah, Al.

Dave King Park (Field # 8)

Friday

4:00 GPS/Goodpasture

5:30 GPS/Pisgah, Al.

7:00 St. Benedict/Terry, Ms.

Saturday

9:00 Hendersonville/Owensboro Catholic, Ky.

10:30 David Lipscomb/Hoover, Al.

Dave King Park (Field # 9)

Friday

5:30 Clay-Chalkville, Al./Soddy Daisy

7:00 East Central, Ms./Goodpasture

Saturday

10:30 East Central, Ms./Ezell-Harding

Single Elimination begins at 1:30 Saturday.

As of today we have received RSVP from the following Division I schools that will be present: UT (Knoxville), UTC, MTSU, Tenn. Tech., Louisville, Arkansas, and NC State. We also know that there will be many NAIA and Juco schools represented. We hope the players will get great exposure. We sent over 100 invitations to colleges and universities about the tournament. It's time Tennessee kids get some well deserved exposure.

Hope you've got closed-circuit TV set up at Weave's house. How in the world could anybody choose between the tournament opening games?

4:00 Hendersonville/Soddy Daisy

4:00 Coffee County/Ezell-Harding

4:00 GPS/Goodpasture

4:15 Beech/Boyd-Buchanan

What a great tournament. Looks like there will be matchups like that all weekend. I don't even want to get started on who's going to win. Great job guys. Hope it all comes off as expected.

Maryville would have loved to have been in this tournament. Maryville's coach is the choir director at MHS. The All-State Chorus is in Nashville Wednesday through Saturday. He declined several tournament invitations this weekend for that reason. I asked him if he ever avoided a particular tournament because of the teams playing. He said he would play anybody, anywhere, especially good teams."Maryville may not have the reputation yet in softball that teams like Soddy Daisy and Beech have, but I hope that someday soon we will have earned that respect. We can only improve by playing great teams." He added, "We were very fortunate last year at state against these teams. Seven seniors on that team have since graduated. It would be wonderful to get to go back and see how we would do against such quality competition. I am flattered that Maryville is even mentioned in the same breath as Beech and Soddy Daisy."