Knox Central's Allen resigns

clipper

There is absolutely no reason Central can't win on the hardcourt. Besides AE, they have the best athletes in Knoxville. They get a good mix of kids and are pulling athletes from other schools because of football. They may not play basketball, but they are definitely in the school and some are even on the team. You are always going to be recruiting in your own school against Helton and the football team, but that also happens at AE, Fulton, Anderson County, Oak Ridge, etc. and all these schools are able to compete in both sports on a high level. Coaching at Central has been the main reason for the lack of success since Coach Carringer left for Oak Ridge. Majors and Barnes are two great candidates that could have a very positive effect in turning the program around. They both will get kids excited about playing hoops and will get kids in the gym to work at their game. Central's teams the past few years have not been very fundamental and do not really get after it on defense for 32 minutes. If it were up to me I'd go with Barnes because kids believe in him and that's most of the battle in HS sports. If kids believe in their coach and his system then they will do things they never expected they could. Majors will also have this effect because he has been with the best, and he loves the Central Bobcats....

either way, you can't go wrong.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen Blue and Chill. Both Majors and Barnes have experience in leading teams that have and are playing at the highest level. Both could bring fundamentally sound basketball to Central and with the athletes they have that is a formula for winning basketball in Bobcat land. Barnes has more experience but as you said Chill Majors loves the Bobcats and has a passion to bring a winner to Fountain City. I say we need to get on the phone to the A.D. and let him know. If you know parents of players call them and have them call the A.D. let our voices be heard. :x:):x

Guest blue1

Majors could be hired and the budget problem would not be a factor because he is already teaching in the system. Also according to todays paper the only teaching positions proposed to be cut is 2 drivers ed. positions. Barnes teaches P.E. and Central has a position. Bob White is retiring. Budget or teaching positions can not be an excuse this time. Hiring Barnes or Majors would be a step in the right direction in getting the basketball program on the same level as football. And either one can be hired if the administration wants to hire based on qualifications instead of the buddy system.

Guest blue1

So JKerr if it was a done deal that Lambert is going to get the job why is the administration putting up a smoke screen, wasting peoples valueable time by interviewing them, and generally acting like they care about hiring a quality basketball coach. So they can say that they interviewed all the canidates and Lambert was the most qualified. How stupid does the administration think people are. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows without question Lambert is not the most qualified canidate. How can he be more qualified than coaches that have been involved with programs that consistenly are winning district and region titles and competeing in state tournaments.

Coach Majors and Barnes would do an excellent job and would be an excellent addition to the Central High School Athletic program (any HS program for that matter).

However, lets take a second and examine JD's credentials.

Assistant @ Jefferson County under the very well respected Rick Sinard

Short time head coach @JCHS (caught up in smalltown politics and was released)

Assistant @ Walter State CC in one of the best junior college women's BB programs on this side of the country

Head coach of the Central girls team (overachieved in my opinion)

SUMMARY: Studied and worked under quality coaches, stood up for what he thought was right, had a team that reached their potential, and is already familiar with Central High School and their people.

Central has THREE tremendous candidates for the position and can't possibly go wrong. Good Luck to whoever is chosen.

[Edited by belle on 5-1-03 11:29A]

Posted by clipper:

Yes, J.D.'s girls could and did play defense. They were very fundamentally sound. Always boxed out and almost always in the right place. They also ran a pretty effective press. Several times last year, they were down 15 or more and turned it around with the press to come back and win. They were patient on offense, workng to get what they wanted. They did this with less tallent than most teams in their district and I enjoyed watching them play.

sounds like a pretty good team to me

Principal of JCHS wanted to add a player questionable player to Lambert's team, and Lambert disagreed. I understand, because why coach if someone else is gonna make the decisions for you?

I don't expect you to be for Lambert blue 1, but I will think about you when he is named coach ;):D:D:):):D:D:D:D:D