Knox Central's Allen resigns

clipper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it could be tough, but at the same time, it could be very rewarding. Central has a nice mix of athletic abilty, talent and pure basketball players...should be able to compete year in and year out.

Has anyone heard who are the top candidates???

What about the pay???

Is it a good situation to take right now???

I think the lack of activity on this thread is an indication of how good of job the basketball job at Central is. If the football position was open at Central this thread would go on for pages and pages. Football is King in Bobcat land. Basketball is at best a distance second in priority and most likely third behind baseball. Another concern may be whether or not that Football is willing to coexsist with other sports particularly basketball. Are basketball players able to use the weight training facility? Are they willing to share athletes? These are certainly issues that a quality coach will consider before making a move to Central. There are some positives though. Central has good to very good athletes. Central is an open zone and according to the football coaches if you have a winning program every kid in Knoxville will want to come there and play. So I don't see why that wouldn't be the case in basketball as well. Good facility. But bottm line is I don't think Basketball is all that important at Central. I just think it is something to do between football and baseball. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think you're right about basketball being 2nd (or 3rd) behind football and even baseball( 2 state championships). Until Central has a winner in basketball it will always be 2nd fiddle. The last time we had success at CHS our coach (Carringer) was hired away by Oak Ridge. Coach Allen was making progress. Unfortunately, Coach Killian didn't leave him much to work with.

The Central job could be a good coaching position but in order to get widespread support, the new coach will have to win. They will have to get beyond being happy to beat Clinton in X many years and compete for the region title and go to the state tourney every once in a while.

Central has as many athletes as any school (just look at football). This year coming back they have 4 three year starters and one of the most tallented big freshmen around. They know how to score and were learning to play defense. I just hope the new coach is someone with some tallent and some success already. Competing in AAA basketball is never easy, there never seems to be an easy AAA opponent.

Guest blue1

If Lambert gets the job then Central will have to search for a girls coach. I don't think they will allow him to do both. Another problem no matter how good he is it will give the appearence that the administration took the easy road in hiring a coach and basketball isn't important enough to search for a top notch coach. This is exactly what happened when they hired Allen. He may have done a decent job better off the court than on but Central could have done much better at the time. But the administration took the easy way out and hired the most convenient canidate instead of the most qualified. If Lambert is the most qualilfied hire him but if he isn't don't just hire him because it is the easiest hire. Based on the canidates names I have heard he is not the most qualified.

Blue,

Lambert may not be the most qualified for the job, but you won't find a coach around that cares about the players more than him.

He also get the most out of the talent he has to work with. Not knocking the Lady Bobcats, but most coaches wouldn't have won 16 games this past season with that squad.

I've seen many games that Lambert has coached and I feel comfortable in saying he's qualified for any coaching job that's open.

Guest blue1

But is he the most qualified canidate? That is the person who should be hired. If Central wants to have a Basketball program that is equal to their baseball and football programs they must hire the most qualified individual. If Pitts from Brentwood, Blevins from Bearden, or Wright from Fulton were to aply would Central pass them over to hire the most convienent person? Will the administration make every effort to hire an individual that will move the Central Basketball program to the next level? Will they hire an individual that can attract quality assistants? One of Allens biggest problems was he didn't have quality assistants.

I am by know means bashing Lambert I just want to see the Players and communtiy to get a Coach that is the best qualified. Centrals current administration does not have a history of hiring the most qualified for coaching positions unless it is Football and Joel Helton doesn't ask he demands they hire who he wants.