Poll on Drug Testing

landergolfer

I was just curious how the people felt about drug testing in high school athletics. Does your county already do it or are they thinking about doing it? I know Carter County and also Johnson County are thinking about doing Drug Tests. What is your thought on this matter?

landergolfer@coacht.com

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coffee County reserves the right to conduct drug tests, but to my knowledge have never used the right. All student athletes must sign a paper saying they agree prior to participating in athletics. I think this is a good way to do it and I agree with the testing as long as players know it is a posibility at any time.

It is done in Franklin Co and I think it is a good thing. True some athletes have had to sit and even been expelled from the team but I think in doing this you are detering some if even just for their season from doing drugs. If you are not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about. I'm glad they test our kids.

Yeah, but you can't play unless you sign a slip that allows the school to test whenever they want. Swamp is making a very good point here. A cop can't search your car unless he has probable cause. No school has probable cause when they test. Why should a school be exempt from a law that police departments aren't exempt from.

The difference with sports is that they are considered a privilege, not a right. As long as the drug tests are random the courts have held that they are legal.

Posted by OSHSman:

Yeah, but you can't play unless you sign a slip that allows the school to test whenever they want. Swamp is making a very good point here. A cop can't search your car unless he has probable cause. No school has probable cause when they test. Why should a school be exempt from a law that police departments aren't exempt from.

The laws governing schools and law governing law enforcement are two different areas.

Police officers MUST have reasonalbe cause to search (or test) cars, lockers..etc

HOWEVER, school officials just need Reasonable Suspision to search ANYTHING on school premises.

Drug testing is not really about the law...it is a bout randomness..again you CHOOSE to play sports and if EVERYONE is tested it seems perfectly legal. I will say I don't believe you can "single" someone out to drug test.