Poll on Drug Testing

landergolfer

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, since high school sports are considered by law extracurricular, participants do not have the right to sue if they fail a drug test as long as the expectations and consequences are clearly spelled out.

Second, many people have discussed testing the band etc. This is an invasion of privacy because band is considered by law as a curricular activity. In other words, band is an academic class and therefore participants cannot be drug tested.

Third, Greenville and Sullivan county schools are two that I know drug test or at least did at one time. Maybe someone in those systems can clue us in on its effectiveness.

Finally, any coach, parent, or administrator that opposes drug testing has missed the point of high school athletics. In my opinion, high school sports help teach student-athletes life skills, discipline, and teamwork. Drugs do not fit in these at all.

I live in a rural area and support a small school. Our school implemented drug testing for all extracurricular activities and most people in our community are happy with the program. I am glad to see our school system trying to make a positive impact on our students' lives other than just finding a way for the kids to pass academically. Yes, the expense is a burden, but what pricetag can anyone put on a kid making a turnaround and becoming a quality person. Testing will not change every kid. Maybe not even half of the kids testing positive. But, the half that do get untracked will be glad the program exists and support it through adulthood. I did not see widespread drug use whle I was in high school in the mid 80's. I knew the kids that had a problem and knew if their parents' didn't care there was no hope. Drug testing gives kids a second chance that may not have the help and support at home they need. I was fortunate to have wonderful parents that were interested in my life and happenings. I didn't appreciate it then, but with hindsight being 20/20 I know I was lucky. My kids are in the same school system I was in. Things are different in many ways at that school now. Most things are better and drug testing is one them. I will continue to support drug teasting and even help pay for the testing of my children and others.

Well it is truly a shame that sprortswriter took heat for the article that he wrote because it took a lot of nerve and needed to be said. Hats off to him. And I will also say good post to acdcfan.

Now I am just wondering where the rest of Carter County has been. Tdog, Deputydog, Rolltide, HVwarrior, Etown12, and all the others. Don't you all have any opinions on this? We'll be waiting.

Will in time post the good marks, but suffice it to say, "jennyk," "spanarkle," "LL," "acdc," it's been truly inspirational reading your remarks. "golfer," great thread.

As to "sportswriter" catching heat for his article... GREAT! He knows the game, physically, academically and politically, which is his true inspiration for writing; and that's why he's headed for success.

Especially to you, "coachdude." That I know you personally only adds to my respect for the stand you've made. I also know of your sincere love for this game, and that you truly do want what's best for the student-athletes. One of your cohorts (Acie Ensor) has too, made a bold stand on principle, one in which has brought him much undue criticism; and like him, I'm sure you'll hold up under the political pressure, and move this concept forward. There would indeed be growing pains, but after all, that's the most essential aspect of coaching highschoolers... personal growth and development, and yes, discipline.

I certainly think we should NOT be considering third, and even fourth offenses. Many could finish their eligibility by then, which would seem somewhat counter-productive.

And though "hablo" has suggested that we should concentrate on the athletes, and according to an earlier posted legalistic preventative concerning band members, it still seems a bit hypocritical to consider ONLY athletes. As one who absolutely IS in favor of testing athletes, I wouldn't hesitate to insist that faculty members undergo the same scrutiny. I'm sure the local administration (no matter how powerful it's union) would hardly hold it's moral water by subjecting only athletes to testing, without first expecting those in their immediate employ to live up to at least equal standards. Those of you who have enacted testing might want to give us a heads-up as to "athletes only" testing, so we might better prepare for any rationale opposing such an operation.

But as to having the parents pay for failed test(s)...now you start to delve deeply into discrimination. Don't think it's enforceable, but would welcome remarks from those of more legalistic backgrounding. Though it might seem a pitiful excuse, the poor, after all, are obviously more vulnerable here.

[Edited by krichunaka on 4-28-03 7:50A]

I am against drug testing athletes. I have been drug tested at my school and was clean so don't think that my reasons are because I'm on drugs. With that said, I heard in my American Government class about a girl who brought up a lawsuit because she claimed drug testing was an invasion of her privacy. Here are my problems with drug testing:

First-Why should it only be done to athletes? You say that it should only be done for extraciricular activities, thus band students wouldn't be tested because it's and academic class. Isn't one point of testing students involved in extraciricular activities because those are the students who represent the school? This would include band students too.

Second-If they are random, people will always say that there are inconsistincies, and often times there will be. For instance at my school, there are 15 black students in the high school, out of a little over 400. We have been doing drug testing for 2 years, and only 10% of students in the high school were to be tested each year. 10 of the 15 black students were tested within a year and a half(out of a total 10% in the high school). Now this could just be random luck of the draw, but you can see where it would be easy for someone to make a big deal out of something like this.

Third-If you have drug testing, you better have a good plan of action. The administrators at our school say that this is a good thing because it gives parents a chance to see if their kids are clean, and help students who may be using drugs. At my school, if you are chosen to be tested, you are given the option of confessing before hand, and if you don't confess but test positive the punishments are much more severe. Let's look at the options if you're on drugs:

You can either confess before hand and definately be in a whole lot of trouble, or you can risk holding out to see if you pass, and if you don't you just get in more trouble. I'd take my chances, because either way you're getting in trouble.

Last-At my school no one has ever gone to rehab because of drug testing, but 3 students have dropped out and are now working different jobs and trying to find places to live. Maybe if some of the inconsistencies were fixed, and there were good plans of action I would change my mind. I am not saying that it is all bad, but from my brief experience in seeing what effects it's had around my school I would not support it.

as a parent of a student athlete i am glad that they can test my son at anytime. it keeps you honest. i agree it should be in all activities not just sports. i also think the school systems should test teachers and administrative persons as they represent our schools and our children are with them as much as they are at home. if a positive test can help someone with a drug problem get the help they need to to be drug free then it is worth it. ultimately the student must have the power to say no to drugs and not give into pressure from your peers. if someone tries to get you to use then they really dont care about you. the reprecussions from drug use can hurt you the rest of your life. OK i'm off the band wagon now.. its just how i feel about it!! :)