How To Do Better At Track

lionfans50

Hey, I am a freshman track runner ( and maybe cross country in the fall ) and I am looking for ways to get better over the summer. I want to improve my speed and stamina. I run the 400 and 200 and need to work on my times. What are good times for a freshman and sophomores in high school and what are your strategies for running the 400? Also, what are the best times in the state in the 400 now and what is the all time record? Another thing, are there any summer teams around that I could join or something? Let me know if you have any of this information. I'd appreciate it.

Hey- If you want to get better over the summer- then DEFINITELY do cross country- it would tremendously help in your endurance for the 400m in the spring- and distance work is a great base for the 400. Best strategy is don't go out to fast and die on the final curve like alot of runners do- try to do even splits at the 200- like for instance if you run a 56- try a 28sec. 200m and finish the final 200m in 28!Nice and steady pace is always better!

As far as competitive times in the 400 and the 200 in high school meets- I guess it depends on how far you want to go, and how competitive your area is. In our local meets 52-53 is pretty competitive in the 400- but you would have to go down around 49ish to compete on a regional or state level- maybe even lower! The 200 is around low 23's to 22- for local.

As far as any good summer teams that depends on what area you live in! Let me know and tell you what I know! :)