Respect the Players!

supporter

Coaches, I realize you are the coach, it is your team, and you can play whoever, whereever,whenever you want. As a parent we have to respect your decisions. Saying that, I feel you should respect the players also. They are people, not positions. What you do and how you do it, make them the person and athlete they are, on and off the field. When a child gets hurt,show some compasion. When someone isn't performing as well as you like, coach them. Tell them what they are doing and what or how you want something done. When you decide to make changes. Respect the child enough to explain your decision. Don't just break them in front of their teammates, family and friends. As an athelete you learn how to deal with so much. It will prepare you for the real world. You may not always like what is dished out to you and you may not agree with what is being done. Just do the best that you can when you can. But as a coach, you should respect these athlelets. Even if they are 5th string and never get to play. Treat them like you care about them. That you have an interest in their lives. They are not disposable. Your team is a family and you are the leader of that family. What you do and how you do it makes a difference. Treat them like you want to be treated. Respect!

[Edited by supporter on 4-23-03 9:00A]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iam glad to see someone is on the players side besides me. Everytime i support the players i get jumped. If you cant teach them what you want them to do, then why say anything, these girls are put through things on the ball field, that you would not tolerate from your boss at your job. O yes its a learning time in their life, so why dont we teach them the way we would like to learn things ourselfs.

Yes iam a trainer, i hear from girls from all middle tenn. So its not in one given part if the state, Have you ever had a player put her head in the middle of your chest and cry like a baby over the way they were talked to. WE are talking about juniors and seniors not freshmen. This has happened several times.

I dont think you would let a stranger talk to your daughter like some of these coaches do. I think there would be a fight or police would be called.

OK coaches as a whole you do a very good job, Iam proud to call lots of you my friend. It just seems that the ugly just stands out more. maybe its because most people care how our future generation is treated and what and how we teach them. REmember they hold the world in their hands

OK coaches nows your chance to jump me again. I do feel strongly about this.

[Edited by catchman on 4-23-03 5:58P]

I have played for many coaches and everyone of them are good in their own ways. What I appreciate the most from my coaches at Lenoir City are their respect for the players. They work so well as a team to coach us. They not only tell us what we are doing wrong and show us how to fix it, but treat us like ball players and ask our opinion. Playing on their team has been fun because of the respect they give. They didn't demand the teams respect, they earned it. Thanks LC coaches!!

I am so glad that someone is finally taking our side....Last year I was a sophmore, I was the main pitcher.. The coach would come out on the mound and absoulety chew me out for throwing a ball... Do you know how bad that made me feel... I was pitching every game with tendonitis in my elbow, but he still made me play... I had been yelled out for joking with an umpire while warm up pitching before a game. I had been fussed on for going to the trainers room to do strengthing exercises, to regain the strenght in my elbow.I went home everynight crying over the pain and what he had said to me... I finally realized it was no longer worth it. I have since quit the team and had ulnar nerve surgery in my elbow.. I will never be able to play again... So, for all the other girls out there, you do have a voice, use it... Stick up for yourself.. Noone deserves to be treated badly over a simple mistake in the game of softball.

it may not be my place to say anything, and i know no one will agree with my view but it's really not our place to tell coaches how to coach. like the old saying goes," i dont come to your work and..." so on. we all understand the views of all of you but no two coaches are exactly alike. all coaches have different methods. that's their job. they're not there to babysit your kids, they're there to do their job, win, and get paid for it because that's what they choose to do. the kids are out there voluntarily and it's their choice if they want to play or not. it's the coach's job to go out there and win. now i admit some coaches do take that a little far but it's not our place to say what should be going on out there on the field, court, etc. dont tell all coaches how to do their jobs because your child or some child you saw didnt get treated fairly.

[Edited by pagingmrherman on 4-26-03 7:17P]

Again the title is "coach" not "drill sargent." If you're a coach and you want respect, treat your players with the same respect you would want. There are a lot of great coaches out there but there are a few pin-heads. I know sometimes things are said in the "heat of battle", but to yell and humiliate all the time just show a lack of "coaching" ability.

pagingmrherman,not trying to tell any coach how to do his job, just wish a lot of them would have better people skills. the way they talk to some of these kids in front of the other players and other teams, Thats all i was talking about. They are suppose to be role modles and leaders, not screamers and yellers.

This is how things get started. Fights amongst each other. I made a statement on a way that I felt. This has happened to other kids other coaches and other parents throughout the years and will probably keep on happening. It was not addressed to any one person. Although at the time it was coming from my heart. With your comment someone, somewhere is being blamed for my statement and a fight amongst someone is going on. If that was your intent, shame on you! My statement was not ugly and was not meant to hurt anyone. Only to lessen my heartache.