Battle of the Coaches

mchsballer

This is an opinion thread:

If your a multi-sport athelete(in my case 3)you know the situations you have to deal with from a coach.Every coach thinks their sport is the most important,and every coach says that your going to have to sacrifice your time and other sports,jobs ect. for their sport.Fortuantly Ive been blessed so far with the ability to handle this type of thing.Over the summer I play travel softball,but volleyball and basketball both plan to have summer practice.Softball is my ticket out of high school,but I love basketball,and my coach,and I hope to make capitan on the volleyball team this year,and every coach has said make sacrifices,it seems to get harder,not to mention i try to umpire during the summer.How do other multi-sport atheletes handle this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have not changed at all since my days in HS. I Played Football..Basketball...Baseball...and Golf. I also worked for the athletic director the last 2 years of school, so I learned a few things about what coaches can and cannot do with athletes who play other sports than the one they coach.

A coach of a certain sport CANNOT force or pressure you to attend practices or games while his or her season is not in session. There are rules for this that they have to abide by. I understand that some will tell you "If you don't practice with the team...you are going to loose your spot" or... "You need to be spending all your time working on THIS sport and forget the others". This in part comes from their need to win to keep their job. If they were only concerned about the players...and the players˜ future...they would not be acting this way.

Sooo...what can you do about this?

Well 1st of all...you can sit down with the coach and explain YOUR views on your future. Tell them what you like about their sport...and others. Tell them what you have dreamed of doing when you finish HS. If they don't seem to be listening...and they continue to pressure you or try to force their sport on you by means of threats of less playing time...then by all means..go over their heads. Get to know your athletic director. Most are approachable people. Talk to them and tell them your concerns...as well as your dreams. They CAN help.

Another way to get your coaches "onboard" with your other sports is to have them come see you play. Let them know how hard you are working to improve your overall skills. Because if softball IS your ticket beyond HS....then I'm sure you are lifting and running even while your season is going on. They need to see that you are a committed athlete in EVERY sport you play. And remember this....there are ALOT of basketball, volleyball, and track coaches that think this "softball thing" is just something girls do to have a little fun while they are in the off season of THEIR sport. Some haven't seen a game or even know what Fastpitch Softball is all about.

I could go on longer than you want :D So I'll close with this.

It's not easy playing multi-sports in HS. But it's well worth it. And the dreams you have are not just by chance YOUR dreams....God put them there so you could see what will make you happy in life. And HE don't make mistakes :D

Keep your chin up....and keep working hard...and your dreams will come true.

excellent response coach, what else can be said about this,

that says it all pretty much.

mchballer, keep in mind that you can't be what everyone

would like for to you to be, you have to be what you want to

be. you have to be focused straight ahead on your ultimate

goal, which it sounds like you are already. don't worry

about telling those minor sports that softball is your ticket!

:D

My daughter is a multi-sport player and my advice to her when seasons run together is this. You need to devote all your time & energy to the sport that was in season when you started. The sport that follows should have to wait untill you finish the other sport. A good coach should appreciate this dedication and understand. Year round training for a one or maybe a two sport athlete could be beneficial if coaches & parents don't burn them out and it doesn't have a conflict with other actvities. Also, don't burn yourself out by trying to do too many sports. "Remember your only young once, take a bite out of life while you can still chew it!"

CoachSR,

Are these rules that you are talking about written in a book somewhere? If so, how/where can I find them. I would like to read them. I have seen this situation when a high school coach doesn't want their players to play summer sports because it conflicts with "their" schedule.

Thanks,

If you will take the Shelbyville Golden Eaglettes' basketball team, none of these players play anything but basketball. They are not only known in the state for their basketball abilities but also nation wide. By being dedicated to one sport they are highly successful year in and year out. The sports of basketball and softball take alot of conditioning and practising year around inorder to achieve this type of success. It is a 12 months out of the year program. If you want to be average in several sports play all of them, but if you want to be excellent in one, pick it and be excellent in that sport. Good luck with your choice.

p.s. In Shelbyville there has never been a basketball player that has played softball. :):(:(

Thats much easier said than done.I love softball and all,and like i said,its my ticket outta here,but I love basketball more than anything,and the coach and wouldnt give it up for anything.Volleyball just gets me in shape for basketball,and its pretty fun,but you cant just choose one sport,that would be like going to a chinese buffet and only being allowed to choose one kind of chicken. ;)

In life you will have to choose what you want to do. You can't do everything you want or you burn yourself out. High school should be the best time of your life with little stress but when you put so many eggs in your basket you will get burned out and not enjoy your high school times. Name me some atheletes that excell in more than one sport and lead their team to a championship. I don't think you will have a long list. I wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide to do. But have fun doing it. Oh by the way what school do you attend. :);):D

I admire the maturity level that you appear to be on. I also admire anyone who is willing to work as hard as you must to play three sports. Here is my opinion, just an opinion. Play your summer softball, however, volleyball will be your next Varsity Sport. It is still my opinion that Baskeball should understand that Volleball should be your focus at this time. Do not let your summer softball keep you from Volleyball and Basketball practice. Play, but work something out with the Softball Coach. I understand that Softball is your ticket, but you owe it to your volleyball and Basketball team mates to be there trying to get to the very best level you can. If they are there working hard, then you owe it to them to be there leading the way (as any possible captain should) Your Softball want suffer if you have to miss a few games. Remember your team mates, they are the ones you have to battle with and growing as an all around leader will help you in the future, both as an athlete and in other things you will face in life. Strive to be one that everyone that comes in contact with you will know that they can depend on. That will weigh heavy in college and in life away from sports. Just an opinion from a former multi-sport player.

I have not read all of the above thread word for word, but what I have read is disturbing. I coach softball. I get so frustrated with any individual telling an athlete that they have to choose one sport. We are dealing with young people, not athletic robots that need to be molded into one sport. Shelbyville has what it has for many reasons, not solely because the players only play basketball. The state runner up this year in AAA, Beech, has Amber Warren who plays both basketball and softball. And by the way, I believe she is awesome at both. Beech also graduated Courtney Boynton a couple of years ago who was all mid-state in both sports and is now playing at David Lipscomb (b-ball). How do you explain the success of some single A schools who have players in more than just basketball? Parents and coaches set the limits on what the kids are capable of achieving. Parents allow for their children to be forced into basketball 24 / 7 / 365!! Seriously. The tendons, the ligaments, the muscles, the mind...all need a break (or they will break). The young people who play only one sport need to be concerned with burn-out or blow-out. I have seen it in some outstanding athletes. If it isn't the ACL, it's just mental fatigue. Parents miss family vacations, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays as well as Easter all for a game. I ask WHY? Why sacrifice your other childrens' holidays for being in the gym or on the field? What is really more important? I know that kids love it. But, what kids really love is for their parents to be proud of them. And if kids feel their parents pride for being athletic, then the kids feel that it is necessary to be on the court or field. I have seen parents who live to be either in the gym or on the field because it is a social scene type situation for them. They live out their own dreams of athletic stardom through their children. I am getting away from the initial point-- LET THE KIDS DECIDE WHAT THEY WANT TO DO!! AND COACHES AND PARENTS BE SUPPORTIVE OF THE KIDS DECISION WITHOUT PERSUADING THE KIDS TO DO WHAT YOU (the parent or coach) WANT THEM TO DO. COACHES: THINK LESS OF YOUR WIN / LOSS RECORD AND MORE OF THE INDIVIDUAL. PARENTS: THINK MORE OF YOUR CHILD'S PHYSICAL AND MENTAL WELL BEING.

Having said, I know this only applies to a handful of individuals across the state. I wish any kid who likes basketball and softball could play both without any repercussions. Like maybe when it is cold outside, you should play inside, and when it is warm outside, you should play outside-- Why has our society jumped into the frame of mind that soo much emphasis is placed on sports? Is it the TV? Media? Professional Athletes? Scholarships? Social Acceptance? Boredom? :):x:) :confused: :confused: :x

I have said this before and I'll say it again....

NO COACH SHOULD EVER TELL A CHILD NOT TO PLAY ANOTHER SPORT!

Having said that... summer league coaches must give way to the varsity coaches with respects to camps and summer workouts! There is a delicate balancing act that we all must learn to do in order to help student athletes enjoy their summer and prepare for the next season!

Edited by ELA