Are football coaches crossing the line?

CheeseCake

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a simple issue. If the football coach is also the baseball coach, there isn't a conflict, but if there are two different coaches involved, the baseball coach should go to the A.D. and/or principal and refuse to allow his players to practice football during baseball season. The football coach can't punish a baseball player for playing baseball. It's a real simple matter UNLESS the baseball and football coach are one in the same.

As a football coach here is my opinion. First, If these kids are in baseball season, that is the current sport being played and that should come first. As soon as the baseball season is done, then return to the practice field if any spring days are left. It is the job of the coaches at the school to work together and not make kids choose one sport over another. This of course happens in some places and it is not only football coaches. Baseball coaches that encourage kids to play summer league and or fall league baseball when they should be getting them to participate in school sponsored sports such as football and basketball if the athlete would like to. Also this AAU and summer basketball camps etc. Again once summer rolls around the next school sponsored sport is football and kids should be preparing for that. Also, look where the dead period falls and what sport is affected the most?? The only school sponsored sport affected is football. All coaches need to work together and not stab each other in the back and try to make their sport the only sport. Remember this is about the kids not pumping up egos of coaches. I will be going out in spring May 12. A late spring practice after baseball is done or an early spring before it gets going are the best bets. If my baseball players make a run and miss some or all of spring I will have to live with that b/c at a small school you need all athletes. So to sum up the coaches should not force kids to choose to play baseball or come to spring football b/c I believe it is a decision they will not like.

I am a football coach first and I believe it is very selfish for a football coach to ask players to quit or miss other sports. I will say this though: Fall Ball is the worst thing to ever happen to football. If the baseball coach "requires" his kids to play fall ball or not make the team, then he is just as guilty as the football coach who wants his players to not miss spring practice. There has to ba a common ground and respect for other sports. There is no Spring league for football like baseball has in the fall. I think every athlete and every coach should be required to play/coach another sport. If you quit one then you don't get to play in the other. It makes your ENTIRE athletic program better and does not create mistrust among the coaches. Just my two cents worth, but it is not fair to make high school kids choose.

Every coach has his or her reasons for doing what they do, but if you are a head coach, you have to stand up for your players and your sport. I think if you approach it the right way, you can get this sort of thing worked out before next season. I would make sure I had the backing of the principal and A.D. but I can't imagine any situation where they wouldn't support the head baseball coach. I must say that I have been one of those football coaches who also coached baseball, and yes, I had some boys who practiced both sports at the same time, but it was on a voluntary basis. My pitchers didn't practice much (one was injured already) and only my catcher and a few other players tried to do both. I think the coach of the sport "in-season" should have control of the players activities.

Having said this... I know the football coach in question and he is a good and fair man, I think if you went to him you could work something out!

[Edited by ELA on 4-30-03 9:19A]

[Edited by ELA on 4-30-03 9:37A]

WarDog

Get real with the summer stuff. Once football season ends it begins. You have guys preparing all year. The baseball season is shorter. Plus to get any better you need to play summer ball. I am not saying play up till August but play the months of June and July. If you say that get ready for the next sport as soon as the other ends then that is fine. As soon as the football season ends let the baseball & basketball players go. No football no matter. That means no weights with football or nothing like that. I bet you don't like that. I don't want that either, and that is why I think coaches should work together. I talked with a coach who has won state titles in baseball at a school where the football team has been rreal good too, and he told me they worked it this way; Baseball got them in the spring, football got them in the fall, and they split them in the summer. It can work if you want it to work. Look at USJ. It works for them.

This is a very hot topic, but I don't think you need to mention any names if you want this thread to stay open. It has happened at other schools I have coached at but my new boss told me point blank that he would fire any coach who acted that way. Don't mention names.

XBOX I agree with you completely. You have to work together but baseball coaches are as bad as football coaches sometimes too.

[Edited by throw46 on 4-30-03 9:22A]