Upon Further Review

GovMan

After some of the recounts of the ending of the 99 game between William Blount and Maryville, I got to talking to one of the WB coaches and he pointed out some interesting facts to me that don't exactly match up with what some reported on here.

#1 - somebody said WB was attempting a field goal on the last play of the game and faked it ... it was actually a P.A.T.

#2 - agreed, the first pass interference call on the Rebs could have gone either way , but there was contact made

#3 - the face mask call, which was on Brad Hilshire, was absolutely the right call, it was blatant, even Maryville coaches agreed

#4 - it was reported on here that WB's Marcus Kenney tackled Ryan Maples of Maryville on the pass to Brent Owens to win the game . NOT SO. As mentioned earlier, WB decided after scoring td in ot, to go for broke and fake the PAT (kicker was very suspect). Maples bit on the fake and sucked in. Marcus Kenney actually went into the pass pattern (he wasn't supposed to) and leaped to try to catch the pass. The ball flew through his hands and into the hands of Brent Owens in the corner of the endzone. It would have been physically impossible for Kenny to interfere with Maples.

Well, the game's long over ... but just wanted to clear Kenney's name. He didn't "tackle Maples."

By the way, when WB decided to fake the PAT, the only people on the field who were told were the holder (qb), the kicker, and Owens. Kenney overheard and that is why he ended up in the way. Everyone else on the Gov's pat team thought they were kicking it.

Don't beat me up Starz, I'm just repeating what I was told by someone who still has access to the tape of the game.

RebelRon,

I agree ... if I'd been George, or any other Maryville faithful, that one would have killed me.

What do you really think goes through a ref's mind in that situation? Seriously, you don't think he thinks, "I'm gonna call this to hurt Maryville and help William Blount." Or do you think that might actually happen?

I know I've struggled some in b-ball games wondering if ref's really do have a bias or they just make bad calls in the heat of the moment and that it's just luck of the draw which way they go.

Really wondering,

Refs are part of the game. I saw the MHS-HHS and WB-MHS games in 99 as I said before in the other post. The calls in that game were questionable; however, MHS was not the superior team in those games and HHS and WB stayed in the game and subsequently won because they were equally matched with Maryville. As I said before, give the kids credit. If it would have been MHS or HHS or WB up by 21 points in each of those games would we remember the "questionable" calls.

Maybe I'm naive, I can't imagine a ref making a call intentionally against a team.

Missingthesouth,

Good point, remember the HHS and MHS game in 2000, the call they made on MHS's goal line to give the ball back to MHS. Know one talks about that because Maryville was never in the game, But BOY what a trunaround, G.Q really showed his stuff to win it all that year, best coaching of a team I have ever seen.

Gov-Man I'm not going to argue with a tape, but I was on the track at that end of the field. The facemask call was on Aaron Oliver #68, not Hilsher, at least that's what Stuart told the MHS sideline. Of course, that wouldn't be the first time Stuart could have been wrong. I never stated that anyone "tackled" Maples. But I think that the MHS coaches probably thought as I did, that Kenny could have been interpreted as picking Maples, especially since the game was being "called " so closely. Plus, I don't think GQ got so upset for no reason. He's just not that type of coach. GQ is class. Here's an example. Last year at Heritage right before halftime MHS was leading 35-0. Maryville had their 2nd and 3rd teamers in the game and had the ball at the Heritage 1 yard line. He told those kids to run out the half instead of taking another snap.

Sometimes refs don't show bias, miss calls, or go with the luck of the draw. Sometimes they just don't know their own rulebook.

The yahoo that started the fire at the end of the game bothered me more than anything. While walking to the exit after that game several small kids were knocked down because everyone panicked and stampeded. As far as I know, luckily no one was hurt.

Anyway the game is history. The score is not going to change, just as your and my opinion about the game probably won't. It's in the rear view as far as I'm concerned. I think missingthesouth, hit it about right. MHS was not dominant that year. Really the only good positions on that team (in Maryville terms) were WR, QB, and DB. I think one of your posts on "fondest sports memories" brought that subject back up anyway. Peace. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Stars,

We're cool. I can't say for sure about a pick, but I can say for a fact that Marcus did not "grab Maples and throw him down on the play" (and I didn't mean to attribute that statement to you) because he was diving trying to catch the pass when it was in the air on its way to Owens.

Can't argue with you on George's class ... nor any of the other Rebel coaches. There's not a finer crew of coaches anywhere.

As far as the "fire setter" ... truth be known, I think it was a former WB Assistant Principal and long time Blount County educator who started the fire. I believe he owned property that adjoined the school campus up in the far end above the football field. And I don't think he intended for it to be quite the inferno it turned out to be. Not the greatest thing to happen when you're trying to dispel that "Willy B Country Redneck Hick" image that some want to attach to us.

It is a great memory for us at WB ... that win .... even though the ending was tainted, any of the few times we've managed to beat you guys ranks up in our top achievements. Lord knows it's not happened very much.

But you tell those Rebs to buckle 'em up ... we've got you "at the house" this year. We're already storing up firewood and kerosene.

Love ya!!!

Hopefully you can keep Beavis (Fire, Fire, Fire) under control. All kidding aside, that wasn't a very family friendly atmosphere. You know, honestly after we play the county schools, I hope each one wins the state championship. I believe a majority of MHS people feel the same way. Not all, but most. But I get the feeling it's not the same from the other side. What do you think Gov-Man? I mean I believe some would pull for the ALL-AL-QUEDA team coached by head coach Bin-Laden, before pulling for MHS. Go Rebs.

I think to some extent you're right. I believe a lot of it stems from the fact that a lot of county folks have spent years losing to Maryville in football both on the high school level and even down through the midget level. Also, many county people want to "stereotype" all Maryville kids into snobby, stuck-up, better than we are rich kids. We know that's not the case. In the same way, not all WB and Heritage kids are tractor driving, overall wearing, multiple-tooth missing rednecks.

But question ... do you think county hates Maryville worse ... or Alcoa people?

Me personally ... good friends with George and with David Ellis. Believe it or not, have even helped them out on a couple of occasions before games. I love to see Maryville win state championships, but I'd love to see them go 14 & 1 every year, if you get my drift.

Without a doubt.....The County..... Alcoa has also had lots of success on the state level...Had you been at MTSU in 2000 (you probably were) and watched, first, Maryville fans cheering for Alcoa and then Alcoa cheering for Maryville...you wouldn't have a doubt...nothing wrong with a great rivalry but I, like STARS, support EVERY

Blount County team when they're not playing MHS...There are great people at all local schools...and probably some sorry ones too.....

I'd like to see it...

Kinda like a marriage...we'll argue and fight among ourselves...but some outsider better not come in here and say nothing bad any of us...or you've got a fight on your hands

THANKs

There are a lot of fans i know from all the schools in Blount County who want to beat Maryville badly but root for Maryville the rest of the season.I root for all Blount County teams in the playoffs. I cheered for Alcoa when they won their state titles.I thought it was great when WB beat DB a few years ago.

There are fans though in Blount County who would root for the DEVIL,Bin Laden and Saddam Hussan before they would Maryville.

I watched the Alcoa,William Blount and Heritage replays on the cable channells in Blount County. When they announce that Maryville is losing or has lost. It will be the biggest cheer of the night.

The real reason for some Blount County fans hating Maryville is simple. Maryville has dominated them over the years. Look at these records Maryville has over other Blount County teams.

Alcoa 50-21-3

Everett 29-16 4

Friendsville 2-0

Heritage 18-6

Lanier 2-0

Porter 17-5-2

Townsend 9-1-2

Walland 5-0

William Blount 16-4

That is 248-53-11

I have heard the county people say Maryville is snobs,rich. There are more poor people at Maryville than rich ones. I have heard some Rebel fans call WB and Heritage redneck. There are lots of good kids at everyone of the schools in Blount County.Lots of great fans also.