Marshall Co. going to Memphis

rocketman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, but shame on Marshall County for not cooperating with McKenzie's graduation tonight and playing earlier in the day. Mckenzie was without 4 starters because of it. That'w low-what difference would it have made to play the game at say 2:00. Every other host school in the same situation changed game time to accomodate the other school's graduation if at all possible.

Just a little info. on not changing the start time. First of all it was raining earlier in the day and the game would've had to be played around 5 anyway. Also part of the advantage to hosting a game is being able to play it when your community can best support you. Marshall co. girls and boys have missed their commencements in the past because they were playing post season games. It's part of the sport.

I think it's a shame that Marshall County didn't move the gametime up. I might have been raining at 5:00, but they didn't know that when they scheduled it. I think sometimes people forget what high school athletics is about. It is simply about the kids. They shouldn't have to choose between graduation and a sub-state game when it can be helped.

You're right reidb31, the kids shouldn't have to choose between graduation and sports. But the question is, who made them choose? Did their school districts give them no choice? or did they just decide to leave their team and walk? I don't think their school districts forced them to miss a school function to attend gradution. The fact of the matter is it was the girls' and their parents' decision and they made it. That's where the blame should lie.

To all in Marshall County and the school. You may have won and congatulations to the team, however the school made a mistake in not moving the time. I don't know if Mckenzie could have won with its full squad or not, but it was not given a chance and that is not fair. There really was no choice for the girls that missed and they should not have had to make one. In West Tennessee we respect each other and try to help each school. USJ baseball moved its time to allow Halls boys to play and make graduation. How hard could it have been to move the time. I am just sorry it didn't rain harder and then they would have had to change the game.

To the girls that play for Marshall Co you played well and deserve to win. This post is not to take anything away from your accomplishments. To the Coach and administrators of Marsharll Co, you need a lesson in sportsmanship and fair play. I know that before it was even decided who McKenzie was going to play that contact was made with both schools that it was possible for them to be playing about graduation. I know Mck ask to play on Thur, Fri at 2 or even Sat afternoon. I know the TSAA agree to let the schools play on Sat. It is ashame that a coach does not have enough confidence in his players to allow both teams equal chance. You said it has happen before but does that make it right? If it was the spring fling I can understand because games are set before the tournament even starts but in this case something could have been worked out. I think that to many coaches have forgot what High School athletes is about. Again the players that played you earned your victory. For the players good luck. To the coach hope you learn the meaning of sports.

As a sports fan{did not care which one won} it is very disappointing to see a game be determined in this way. I'm just guessing, but I figure that when Mckenzie called to request a time change, the Marshall Co. Coach probably asked "Why?". You don't have to have a 4.00 grade point average to figure out what Marshall Co. was thinking at this point. This is one of the things that hurts high school sports today, coaches that will win at no cost, which not all coaches do. Could the game have been changed? Yes. Would this have been the fair thing to do? Yes. Would the outcome have been the same? We will never know. Could the TSSAA do anything? No, but maybe substate and the state should take place a week or two earlier so that this problem does not occur in the future. It is sad to see that a few young ladies had to choose between sports, which is not what schools exist for, and participating in a ceremony that they have worked most of their young lives for. An education is something that can never be taken away.