Warren County Spring Game

Idunk2

I had the opportunity to see the Warren Co. Red vs White game yesterday and here is what I took from it.

The Good

1. Morale seemed to be up. Players were seen encouraging one another on the sidelines, coaches seemed to be motivated and the overall demeanor of this ball club has changed since last season.

2. Running game - Several nice runs by big #20 (Mike ?) for the white team. He is a big bruising RB with lots of strength. Could be a force to be reckoned with if he can remain healthy. I think he is coming off an injury but from the looks of it..he is close to being back @ 100%. Needs to work on hanging on to the ball, had a ball ripped out as he was moving the pile for extra yardage. Several other players had some nice runs for both sides. Running game will be a definite strength for the Pioneers next year.

3. Size- One kid was a monster (400+ lbs). Another kid was close to 300. Looks like the Pioneers used the winter wisely in the weight room. If the entire team continues to hit the weight room this summer, the pioneers will be a very physical team next year.

Needs Improvement

1. Tackling- Several missed tackles, especially in and around the box. Need to focus on form tackling and learn to wrap up those big backs coming straight up the gut.

2. Turnovers- There were 4 turnovers in the game. The Pioneers must learn to hang on to the ball. 3 fumbles + 1 int = disaster in region play. In order for this team to be successful, they must have ball control and grind it out to beat some of the premier teams in their league.

3. Passing game - Several dropped passes. QB's and receivers need to work on timing routes for those third and 5 situations. If they can find a possession receiver to take some of the load off the running game, they have a chance at being successful.

Final Thoughts

This team should be improved from last season's misery. Determination seems to be there with both the coaching staff and the kids to get things turned around. Will that determination = wins this fall?

The Warren County faithful hope so !!! I think a .500 season would be considered a success for the Pioneers this season and definitely give them something to build on.

Overall Grade C+

i too had the chance to go watch the red and white game last thursday. i think the team has definetly made a turn for the better. one of the big changes is the depth of coaching the pioneers have this year. last year the team had only 3-4 coaches. this year they have at least 7 that i have counted. i have many good friends and even some family on that team so i expect great things from them come fall. and they know ill be watching. good luck boys........

It is still another rebuilding year for the Pioneers. Wait around 2 more years when these Sophomores are Seniors..... thats when it will be interesting to see what the Pioneers can do. This is a good group of Sophomores playing... not to mention when they are Seniors the Juniors and Sophmores behind them will help out as well. The middle school program is fixing to pay off. Now, all the coaches have to do is keep them from leaving the team. Something that is hard to do sometimes without success. The Pioneer Pride will return soon in everyone.

• 2 weeks later...