16U State in Memphis

I didn't get to make the state this past weekend but I already know that J-Gordon proved to be the best in the tournament (for the simple fact that he is). . . .

I thought that the Ballerz had a chance to win the tourney, specially because they have the two best sophmores in the state (according to GoMabz RaNkInGs. . . .

TN Thunder placed 2nd in the state which was better than I thought that they would do. How did the 2nd best PG(according to Gomabz RaNkInGs) do. . . . :

How did Johnnie Lee (an extremely underrated pg) do for the Royals, and how did they do as a team. . . .

J-Gordon-(Attitude aside) I believe that he has proven to be #1. He hasn't got the publicity that the Delks or Smith has because CDF doesn't go to those huge national tournaments, but after nationals he will be in the top30. . . .

What really happened with the Ballerz, and did they play CDF.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just guessing that no one has actually seen the Thunder play. For all of the nay saying and negative comments that have been written about them. No one has mentioned that they held it to six in overtime against the Memphis Bulldogs with only 7 players, two of which had four fouls in the third quarter. If the Thunder had had its full squad there, they would have beaten the Bulldogs and very nearly did without them, but you don't hear them whining about there second place standing. It is an honor to them. Lets see how the teams do in Nationals and then we will know. When the Memphis teams get put out in Pool Play (like they do every year), we will know who the best teams in the state are.

How do the Memphis teams get put out in pool play?

The Rebels have beaten the AAU champion defending Dallas Mustangs before (probably the best 16U team) and the Bulldogs and Rebels both made it out of pool play last year! I don't understand that comment.

I'm a Rebels fan, but the Bulldogs did not have 6'6 Woods who is a man among boys...He scored 30 on the Rebels in a substate game, and his team only won by 3! The Bulldogs play everyone close, but they always find a way to win...the Rebels had chances to beat them (down by 2 with 58 seconds left, we miss a 3...oh well). They always stink it up during crunch time...not having that Hollywood really hurt them. In fact last year, I believe the Rebels and the Bulldogs were the last two teams that were playing at the end of the year.

J. Gordon-CDF

#32 Shooter for the Columbia Bullets

J. Lee-point guard for the Royals

Ronnie Daniels & Lawrence Kinnard-Rebels

Albert Harris-Thunder

Rousean Cromwell-Bulldogs

#4 SG for the Bulldogs (had the pony tail)

#11 for the Ballerz (Delk)

Those were the best players I saw...

Lawrence Kinnard is going to the Nike Camp...is anyone else from this group going as well?

I can post more later, but thought I should post a bit right now in reference to the questions about the Ballerz....

Simply put, the Midstate Ballerz 16's were terrible all weekend long, and finished 2-2, placing a very dissapointing 5th in the State. I am still baffled at our performances throughout the weekend, and do not understand what went wrong. After a full year of outstanding basketball, we looked like an average team at best, and were completely outhustled by the Memphis Rebels and Tn Thunder, two teams that simply wanted it more...

I am incredibly dissapointed in our showing, as well as embarrassed at the product we put forth this past weekend. Coming off a 2nd place finish at the Ballerz Challenge of Champions and a Final 4 finish at Gibbons' Tournament of Champions, we had very high expectations, only to fall drastically short. But we will get past this catastrophic weekend, and continue to have an oustanding summer, as we get ready for the Adidas Atlanta Basketball Classic in late June...

My thoughts and notes on this past weekend's 16:u State (outside of our pathetic showing B) ).......

Teams:

-I have never seen a State tournament with so much parity between the Top 6 teams. The #6 team in the State, Columbia Bullets, were every bit as good as any team their, as evidence by being up 15 points at half vs CDF until their star PG hurt his knee and was essentially out for the rest of the game in their overtime loss. The Bullets were also neck and neck with the Bulldogs, and brought it down to the wire. There was not much at all separating the Top 6 teams...

-Tn Thunder was very impressive, very scrappy. This team was complete hustle, and played as hard as any team I have seen all year...

-The Memphis Bulldogs surprised many and won their unbeleivable 4th straight STate title, without their Star, Reginald Owens (a Top 7 player in the State). This team is so well coached, and play well together...

-The Memphis Rebels also play very hard, and are very taleted. Charles Davis looked good as well, and proved they are much more than just a one-man team. The Nashville Royals play as fundamental as anyone, but just didn't have the talent to match up, though they were still in every game...

Top Players of Note:

-RouSean Cromwell, Bulldogs-Cromwell played his best tourney I have seen from him yet. He is 6'8, maybe 6'9, but very long, and incredibly athletic. He rebounded and blocked shots very well. Very unfinished offensively, so he still has a long ways to go nationally...

-Lawrence Johnson, Bulldogs-was arguably the best PG at the state, but at least a Top 5 PG there. Johnson is so smooth, under control, and shoots it well. He has improved leaps and bounds since I saw him last year...

-Courtney Richardson, Bulldogs-played outstanding all tourney long. Decent shooter, but strong, quick slasher was one of the most effective players in the tourney...

-Trey Tindell, Thunder-VERY underrated player. I thought Trey was the best player on the Thunder, and did all of the little things. He shot the ball very well, rebounded, defended, and was unselfish...

-Albert Harris, Thunder-was very effective all weekend, but was often out of control, and can't shoot even a little bit. But he is the Quickest player in the state, and has great hands...

-Jeff Barnes, Thunder-another surprise for Thunder was the play of the 6'6 workhorse Barnes. He battled, rebounded very well, and finished with contact...

-Ronnie Daniels, Rebels-maybe the biggest surprise of the tourney. Daniels, though out of control at times, is a strong, smooth shooting PG who can jump out of the gym. He will climb dramatically in the State rankings, and needs only to become a smoother true PG to become one of the elite's in the state...

-Lawrence Kinnard, Rebels-Kinnard is a 6'6, maybe 6'7 athletic forward who was also very impressive. He is long, and can even put it on the floor from the wing. Kinnard could develop into a wing forward for college...

-Jamont Gordon, CDF--Jamont was yet again outstanding. His body is so well developed, and he is an unbeleivable athlete. Jamont still needs to improve his outside shot, which is effective even now. Jamont is a clear-cut Top 3 in the State in the Class of 2005...

-Marlon Gordon, CDF--Marlon was another suprise in the state. He is a long armed, smooth shooting guard at about 6'0. He will need to learn to play the Point at his size, but he was very good...

-Zach Walker, Columbia--No player may have been more important to his team than Walker. Columbia is in the Nationals if Walker doesn't hurt his knee. Walker is a great shooter and leader...

-Justin Bryant, Columbia--Bryant is a 6'6 BF who can shoot the lights out. He has a very strong body, and a pure stroke, and only must improve his quickness...

-Johnny Lee, Royals--Lee is my favorite PG that was at the State tourney. He is very small, but shoots it well, and is a true leader. Surround him with more talent, and I think he'll shine even more...

The Rebels have beaten the AAU champion defending Dallas Mustangs before (probably the best 16U team) and the Bulldogs and Rebels both made it out of pool play last year! I don't understand that comment.

Maybe you need to check your facts, but the Memphis Rebels went 1 and 2 in their pool play and were put out in nationals last year and the Bull Dogs won their pool, but were put out in the first round. You are welcome to check this information listed plainly on http://www.aauboysbasketball.org/results/1...ck/15UPools.pdf. Fact is, without Memphis Officials, Memphis teams don't match up with the other talent in the country. The teams are always good, but not as good as they could be if they were forced to play to their potential without the help of Memphis!

Truth, that's a lie....

Maybe this age group hasn't fared well, but EVERY YEAR Memphis teams place Nationally...

Last year, the Y 17's finished 6th Nationally (as mainly a 16's team). The Y 16's obviously would have placed Top 10 if they had attended 16's nationals. The year before, the Y 15's placed 10th Nationally, and the Y 17's finished 4th Nationally...

EVERY YEAR Memphis represents the state of Tennessee very well. In fact, sad to say, they are the ONLY city in TN that represents well in Nationals (which hopefully will change this year!!!)...

I think it is clearly stated that I was speaking of the Rebels and Bulldogs. Maybe you should read the posts before you are so bold as to call someone a liar. If it is wrong, prove it. I have supplied my proof to the fact, why don't you make an attempt at backing yourself up?

Yomca Bulldogs lost in first round to Team Texas, 54 -52.

Edited by TheTruth12

Rebels continued to play even after pool play was over...

You said the Memphis teams get put out in pool play, like they do every year.

I said, they continued to play after pool play...they didn't go home, they kept playing, I don't know what else to say about that, if you had said...the Memphis teams don't advance to be one of the top two teams out of pool play, I would have agreed, but you said they got put out...as in saying their run was over...and it wasn't over, they simply kept playing.

Truth-What about the Memphis team right now that consists of Andre Allen, Shawne Williams, and Jerrell Houston...they are ranked number 2 in the country.

Or we could talk about the YOMCA 15's (I think thats who they are) that have Willie Kemp, Thaddeous Young, Pierre Niles who are the clear cut favorites to win the whole thing!

We could also talk about great teams like Tony Harris and Robert O'Kelleys Bellevue War Eagles teams that won the entire national title. Or when they teamed up as 16's along with Paris London to win the entire thing as the Idlewild Flames!

Once again, The 15 and under state tournament last year was not held in Memphis...but the Bulldogs won it, Don't say the Thunder are better than the Bulldogs...They lost to them.

Your argument should be that every team in TN doesn't win nationally...don't single out Memphis teams when the Memphis team is the one that is winning the state title.

Look at the other TN teams compared to Memphis from last year...

Rebels finish 1-2, lost to the Speices by 3 (who have two players in the top 20 by 3) finish third in their pool

Bulldogs finish 3-0 first in their pool

Clarksville Magic finish 1-3...which puts them as 4th out of 5

SE TN Run N Gun finish 0-3...which puts them as 4th aka LAST

TN Thunder finish 1-3...which puts them as 3rd!

So you said the Memphis teams get put out in the pool play...which isn't true because all the teams advanced and the Bulldogs made it out of pool play...

The Rebels did as well or better than anyone else in the state...except for the Bulldogs, and I believe they were the last team still playing in the tournament...

When the Thunder start winning the state title, and finishing better than the Rebels and the Bulldogs in the AAU Nationals, then perhaps you can say they are better...but implying that Memphis teams aren't as good as others are nationally, doesn't hold much weight when your team isn't doing any better.

You make a very good point Ego. In the past SOME of the Memphis teams have done well in nationals. I should not have stated , like they do every year, because you are right, it is not every year. I was however speaking of the Memphis Bulldogs and the Memphis Rebels. The Rebels were ranked number three at the Sate Finals and that is where they deserve to be ranked. They were out played.

As far as the Bulldogs go, I never stated that the Thunder was a better team than the Bulldogs. I think it was proven in the game that they are both teams that need to be watched and neither team is better than the other.

As far as seeing how the Thunder and the Bulldogs do in Nationals, we will.

And as far as beating a Memphis Team in Memphis, well, that's just not going to happen and hasn't in several years.