Best AAU coach?

As far as pure coaching in Tn, it's hands-down Gene McBee of Columbia Bullets... Coach Mark Gulmire of the Tn Breakers is a close second...

As far as overall AAU Coaching (which includes putting kids in scholarships, winning, consistency, on court coaching, etc), Charlie Benson still has the crown until proven otherwise...

As far as Top Program in Tn, it is HANDS-DOWN Memphis YOMCA. Their dominance in the state and outstanding play every year nationally put them in a league by themselves...

I dont think McBee would be one, because he loses his cool WAY too easily. And even though he has been coaching for a long time, hes not as good as he thinks he is. He considers himself the basketball God. He is a good coach, I agree, but not one of the best. On the other hand, I think Tony Sowell of the Tennessee Thunder organization. He teaches perfect defense and knows how to develop players. It was him that taught Alex Renfroe of Hume-Fogg to play the defense that he has become known for lately. Hes a good strategist, but hes one of the best COACHES of the game that Ive ever played for.

If you don't think McBee is the one of the best then you don't know bball at all. Remember that small team called Columbia Central in the state? Those were his boys from way back in middle school. With the team he coached this year he probably should not have won a game. But with his guidance they did. His boys trust him and a lot of times his outbursts are for show and are usually done to take care of his boys or get the crowd going or let the refs know he is on to them. Most all the refs know him and know his bark is worst than his bite. He can win or at least challenge most any team with whatever team he is given. Not only does he coach them during AAU but he takes them to ball camps all over the east and since he has many college connections he works on tryouts and scholarships for many of the kids. That is a whole lot more than most high school coaches, AAU coaches, guidance counselors, and some parents do. If the kids didn't like him I don't care how good he was they wouldn't play for him year after year, and it is all about the kids now isn't it. You must be young because you obviously don't know his history. About thinking he is a god, not quite, but he has studied this game a long time and does know it pretty well. He is also very good at teaching defense and is and has been for many years an instructor of defense for many 5 star, Nike, and Blue Chip camps. Isn't his grandson going to Nationals with Thunder?

:D Coach Shul, has to be a pretty good coach as far as getting his players recognition in those big tournaments that they go to. He hypes his players up, but for the good of their future (college wise). I'm pretty sure some scouts have heard about the Delks being #1 and #2 sophs. in the state of TN. Even though they may not be, it is definitely helping them get more exposure, and that is what coaches should do for the sake of their players.

Coach T. Sowell is a pretty good coach for the 16U TN Thunder Elite, but had nothing to work with this year. He is young and some of his coaching views may be off a little bit, but that comes as experience comes. He really makes players better. Which is what coaches should do.

Gene McBee is a very good coach. Almost making it out of the state without a team full of horses. The coaches of Columbia should thank him because I'm pretty sure that he makes his players better.

Out of the three with a team full of horses Coach McBee's team would be the most successful.

Still shocks me to this day :) , how did the Mid-State Ballerz not even get out of the state with the horses that they have. Many coaches would love to have a roster like that. Good luck for the rest of tha summa..... :D

As far as the top program in TN. that has no money and coaching his on players and not someone elses player, training them to play offense as well as defense. training players to be an overall good person as well as a good basketball player. Coach Lenox is the best . B.Smith :

I do know McBee's history, because he gave me a lecture on it after a game during one of those ridiculous outbursts. In another game in which I played against him, one of our players foulded a Bullet player hard, not meaning to but none the less doing it. McBee stood up and told his players that if our player touched the ball, to kill him. And after the game, he yelled at the players mother and then tried to get in his dads face (the dad stands something like 6"11). That doesnt seem to be for show or to get the crowd up or to let the refs know hes on to them. Thats just being a jerk. Sorry I expressed my opinion, and sorry I dont know anything about basketball, I hope its still OK for me to post in here

It is Columbia Central. They were one of the top four teams in the state tournament this year. Do you live and play ball during the year in Tennessee? When McBee is against you on the court he takes up for his team and apparently the refs weren't. If he was saying something to you then you must have done something, and dirty play with him is a major offense. Wasn't there so I don't know. I don't think he is perfect and he is getting on up there in age. If you hit his grandson though that might be what ticked him off. If you really knew him and that had not happened you would probably like him. You didn't answer my question. If you play for the Thunder team isn't McBee's grandson going to Nationals with you? I think one or two more off his team are going also. What position do you play?

Im a point guard and I dont know who his son is, what age group is he? I wasnt playing dirty, I ran through a screen because the guy threw his shoulder into me, which is dirtier than what I did. His players were playing dirty the whole game, giving me elbows, illegal screens, etc... They all whined and complained as well. Maybe he is a nice guy, but on the court, he is a Grade-A you-know-what. Thats all Im saying, Im not questioning his character or anything. And, again, sorry I have no clue who Colombia Central is, if theyre not Class A I really dont care about them because we wouldnt be competing against them.

Edited by Fridge