Who are the greatest coaches of all time?

REBELRON

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have a great list. All these coaches were great coaches and motivators...I remember Coach Jack Armstrong. He was at the end of his career when I got to ORHS...but I remember his teams of the late 50s and early 60s when I was a kid...the 58 team may have been the best team of that era, they were undefeated, 10-0, averaged 43 points a game, giving up only 6. They were not only voted State Champions in every poll, but National Champions as well....they beat a great Chattanooga Central team coached by EB "Red" Etter, another great coach, 14-6 in a legendary final game at Blankenship Field before the largest crowd ever to see a game there, rumored to be 22,000 fans...but probably more like 15,000....Armstrong was a fearsome fellow, playing under Bob Neyland in the 40s, I remember his red hair, red face and green eyes, his single wing was a devastating example of power football...he dominated the landscape, I have friends from DB that said they distinctly remember him walking right down the middle of the field in warmups before his 1962 team, also unbeaten and State Champions, blasted the Indians 62-14 at Kingsport in the worst defeat most DB fans can remember....

Emory Hale was a master motivator, using every trick in the book to fire up his kids, but the secret to Coach Hale was his fine assistant coaches, Paul Brewster, whos defenses bent, but didn't break and came through with one of the most awesome goal line stands in the 1980 Semi Final game against Warren County, stopping top running back Womack on the one foot line...and of course, Chick Graning, legendary offensive coordinator, who having played ball in Canada made master use of motion and shifts to confuse opposing defenses with his split back veer and multiple offenses.....the 1975, 1979 and 1980 Oak Ridge teams are among the best offensive teams ever produced.

I got to say something about John Cropp, who coached Tennessee High of Bristol to two State Titles in 1971 and 1972, I saw his 72 team destroy a good Knox Central team at Neyland Stadium in the 72 playoffs....do you remember the movie, "Remember the Titans" the TC Williams team in the movie finished second in the nation in 1971, you know who finished first, Tennessee High of Bristol...

Other coaches I have met or known of;

Carlton Flatt.....Brentwood Academy....precision football at its best...

Calvin Short...Gallatin.....his teams were always well coached.....

Ted Wilson....Maryville and Kingsport DB....great man and coach

Benny Monroe....those Cleveland teams he had were tough...Benny and the Jets

Ken Sparks.....his short tenure at Farragut was thier golden age...look at his CN record

Although his overall record will never show it , Rick Barker from Columbia Academy is one of the best coaches that I have ever worked alongside . Coach Barker always displayed his Christian character , while maintaining a work ethic that is seldom seen on any level of coaching . I should also add a few of the coaches that I have had the opportunity to work with that would be on most lists of great coaches . They are as follows : Larry Shanks & Randy Barnes (Union City ),

Rufus Lassiter (Haywood Co.), Calvin Short (Gallatin), Jim Barron (Gallatin), Jerry Joslin (Gallatin Def. Coord. ,Cookeville ) , and Robert Lassiter (current GHS head coach ).

After making this list , there are over 800 wins , 8 clinic bowls , and 3 championships represented ! I have been extremely fortunate !

Hey boyz,

As Clemson Dad said...great thread!

What about Benny Hammonds at Gatlinburg Pittman? Did I mention I went out with him a couple of times? He was such a flirt, but has a .75 winning percentage at least.

He also has sent several playaz to D-I programs.

Also, what a record this might be...Danny Wilson (former Heritage Coach) is the only person I have ever heard of who had a state championship ring in football and baseball as a head coach, before he was 30 years old!

The best coach ever, was one that I was a cheerleader for on the sidelines...Don Sentell! Why do you think Ted Wilson, Benny Monroe, Tim Hammontree, John Olive, George Quarles, Don Story, etc. were so successful?

Love you boyz

:D