Scott Hunt resigns at Cookeville

disgustedfan

I just received a call from a Cookeville High School baseball parent informing me that Coach Scott Hunt resigned after his first year at the helm of the Cavaliers. From the information I received, he was forced out by the Superintendent of Schools after he chose to cut a prominent businessman's kid from the roster. I was also told that the booster club president had been working behind the scenes to move Coach Hunt out.

I hope all this info is simply rumors but it rings of the same ole, same ole at Cookeville and a few parents who continue to run the program.

I have verified through 3 players that Coach Hunt did resign but of the reasons I am still trying to verify.

It is unforunate that he has resigned-he seemed to sacrifice a lot last season for the boys.

If any of these rumors are true, I am very disappointed in our Superintendent of Schools for caving into the whims of the minority-especially since word has it that he didn't make one game last year.

When will things ever change at Cookeville-many of us thought they had begun to, but it seems that two families still make the decisions for the whole.

Oh well another coach and another year of inconsistency- but if certain a kid gets to play who cares if we win or not- I do!!!!!!!

And why does hearing that not surprise me? I feel sorry for the players that have to go through all of this. Most of these guys have played for a different coach every year they have played. This is typical though. This is why you never win at Cookeville. When you decide to finally stick with a coach maybe you'll see a difference. Until then don't expect any District titles to come your way. Or many winning seasons for that matter.

Edited by coach21

That is a shame. I watched them through the year and thought Scott finally had them on the right track at the end of the season. It takes a while to get your system in place and get it working. Looks like Cookeville is still searching for it. Best of luck to Coach Hunt.

When will the right question be answered? Why has Cookeville Baseball not been able to retain a coach? In the local paper article about Scott Hunt's resignation, the Cookeville principle is quoted as saying, "He was not under any pressure to resign?" Anyone who believes that will also say that Elvis is still alive. If the boys are good kids as Coach Hunt stated and the staff he worked with were great as he stated-then someone put pressure on him to step down. Why else would someone step down if everything was great! It has to come from a few parents and the administration. Until the majority of the parents and we CAV alumni stand up and ask the correct questions and demand honest answers this will continue. A Superintendent of Schools who didn't attend one game, a principle who built a winning program years ago when he was coach at a neighboring school but since he has been at the helm of Cookeville-he can't even keep a coach for more than two years, and a couple of parents who work behind the scenes to get their way.

Now you see why I am called disgustedfan-my alma mater has been kidnapped!!!

Who will be the next coach at Cookeville?

Greg Tubbs

Ben Stikes

Mark Mayberry

Butch Chaffin

Yogi Beara

Scott Hunt

David Mays

Skip Wilson

Elvis

Only a few know!!!!

I don't think any good coach will want to go to Cookeville until things change. I don't see that happening any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...