Tyler Smith

Sideline Views: Smith spends busy summer improving

By: Johnny Phelps July 15, 2003

Billy Smith (left) and Tyler Smith have done a lot of traveling this summer as Tyler Smith has played basketball across the country.

Giles County High's Tyler Smith has been a busy young 16-year-old this summer and, for the most valuable player on the Bobcats' 2003-04 state championship team, it's been all basketball.

Already the incoming junior has been on the state of Alabama team which was crowned with the 16-and-under title in Birmingham. His other team finished second in the 17 and over division.

Now, that seems like a pretty good summer.

However, that was just a start. From there he went to a National Basketball Association camp the next week in Richmond, Va., where he was one of the top players.

And the following week, Smith went to Colorado Springs, Colo., as a member of the U.S.A. Olympic Development Team with his dad, Billy Smith.

One from Tennessee

Tyler Smith was the only player from Tennessee on the roster and one of only two sophomores in the nation there.

His team from the South won the championship.

Tyler Smith's best performance was in the title game against the North. He scored 14 points, grabbed seven rebounds and had three assists in 23 minutes.

"That was really exciting," Smith said, "scoring and playing against the best players in the nation.

"We stayed in Colorado Springs from June 24 to June 29, and it was such a thrill to wear the USA uniform and receive the gold medallion.

"I like playing against the best. It makes me a better player.

However, I am smart enough to know there is a lot of work to get done before moving to the next level."

Smith has teamed with a former Bobcat, Eric Howard, as a member of an AAU team this summer.

Howard has caught the eye of a lot of college recruiters, Smith said.

"He has really played well, " Smith said of Howard, who has been on visits to Mississippi State University and to other colleges. "I think he will go to prep school in North Carolina."

Basketball playing continues for Smith, who recently went to the Big Apple in New York

and New Jersey for an NBA camp.

This Sunday, July 20, he will be in Las Vegas, Nev. for another camp, and from there he will go to Los Angeles, Calif., for another tournament.

His final stop before school starts is in Houston, Texas, for an individual camp.

Tyler Smith's dad, Billy,

has been with his son to all the camps and games. The 1977 GCHS grad, an all-state performer for the Bobcats, said. "It's just a golden opportunity for Tyler to get world wide competition and certainly should help his game.

"The game has really changed since I played," Billy Smith said. "The players are much bigger and stronger and certainly have a lot more opportunities."

With Tyler Smith's busy schedule, there has been little time for a summer vacation.

However, the 6 feet 7 inch 16-year-old ranked by many as the number one upcoming junior in the nation remains humble.

"I think it's great for our fans and team members to have all these coaches and recruiters in our school, and, certainly, it's good for our basketball program to get nationwide attention.

"However, when the season starts at Giles County High, I am a Bobcat and a member of a team that wants another state title," he said.

©Citizen Press 2003

NOT BAD FOR THE #3 SOPH IN THE STATE!

Does anyone know what camp he is attending here in my new city of Houston. I have been telling the high school coach here about him.

The school I am coaching at just produced a first round pick in Ndubi Ebi to the Timberwolves. I am coaching at Westbury Christian.

I want to see him at this camp.