East Ridge Scrimmage

ELA

The 4-Way Scrimmage at East Ridge went off without a hitch today. Both East Ridge and Cumberland returned from football camp in North Georgia and both teams and staffs were very tired. Nevertheless, both teams played five different 20 minute games (three times with 1's and twice with 2 and 3's). Central and Walker Valley played first, Then Cumberland and East Ridge, then Cumberland and Central, and East Ridge and Walker Valley. I can't speak for the other teams but it looked like what one might expect for the first scrimmage of the year. We scored on several plays and picked off a few passes, but we made lots of mistakes and there seems to be a lot of work ahead for all four teams. I was impressed with Central's size and Cumberland looked very good all week at Camp. Walker Valley also looked good at times. I want to thank all of the teams and player for coming to the scrimmage. Good luck in the regular season. We are pretty banged up from camp and we had at least seven players out of uniform for the scrimmage including many potential starters.

The format was such that it was difficult to keep up with scores. Each team got 10 plays on offense and 10 plays on defense then we rotated a new team into the mix. It was literally, just a scrimmage. The first two games started out on the 30 yard line and the last two games started on the twenty yard line (for red zone work). It was designed to give everyone some reps and no scores were kept.

I think the point is you can't tell much about a team when you only play 10 plays! Most teams will play between 38 and 50 offensive plays in a regular season football game. The first squads only played about twenty plays throughout the whole scrimmage and the second squads also played about twenty plays. Walker Valley's defense did look good from what I saw of them.

Our defence wasn't top shape but it was alright good enough to shut East Ridge and Central down. Our 2nd defence could use some work. We had two back to back turnovers in the Central scrimmage, a fumble recovery and a interception. That okay for the first scrimmage of the year.

Edited by scoogz19

Seems to me you must of been watching the wrong scrimmage b/c all that talk about Walker Valley shutting down East Ridge well it just didn't happen that way. I know we scored on ya'll maybe even more than once, but it doesn't matter b/c ya'll dropped us in ya'lls schedule. No telling why ya'll dropped us but i won't make my assumptions, but just get the right info before you write it down.

!PIONEERS!

Ela these young Bucks just don't get it! A scrimmage in this format is exactly what it says a "SCRIMMAGE!" It is almost impossible to get a good read on how a team would do in a true game situation in a format like this one! They'll get it someday! Can you say"TESTOSTERONE!" (LOL) :lol:

Scrimmages don't come close to reflecting real game situations. We haven't even put in all of our offense and in this first scrimmage we just worked a few basic tricks in the running game. With 6-7 starters out due to injuries from camp, you didn't see much from us and my guess is no one will see much from us until the first real game. I also think that the other three schools were holding back some tricks and in any "first scrimmage" you must look at personnel! I know our team has many open positions and only two or three are close to being filled! It's still wide open for the right player to step up and earn a spot. It is my opinion that some second string positions will not be filled until week three or four as we look to the heart of the football season. We have four TB's who could start for most schools around the state and all of them are fast! Our skill positions are wide open for the right athlete to make a difference in our program. With a new offense and defensive scheme, it will take some time for this team to gel. You won't begin to see the real 2003 ERHS team until about week 1.

Ela,

Thanks for pointing out the real meaning of "Scrimmage". I keep seeing these guys talk about who whipped who in some scrimmage as if that reflected what a real game would be like. According to the coaches I've talked to, winning a scrimmage means absolutely nothing. They are looking to put together their depth chart, trying different combinations to see what the chemistry could be, trying guys at different positions, etc. Scrimmages may be fun to talk about, but don't draw conclusions from them. I know your ER team we saw Friday won't be the same team we see in Sept. Good luck & keep progressing

i know that a scrimmage is a scrimmage. but i thought we did good against you. i dont have any clue why we drop you in our schedule, thats coaches deal. but i am not complaing about a couple of injuries, which we did have from two a days that week. And im not sayin we didnt even try or run our whole offense. im sayin that both teams did good and i thought walker valley was lookin totally different.