Private vs. Publics

BDURHAM

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only get to pick from whoever gets off that big yellow bus.

Greg C. you are right and in the 90`s that was good enough for public schools to win 7 out of the 10 championships in 1A. That was just a few short years ago when we didn`t have this debate. This whole issue is because a lot of public school coaches just plain and simple don`t like private schools and especially don`t like private schools to win championships. Their answer is to get rid of them. The solution is for schools to rise up to the occasion. Just like a few private schools did when Trousdale and South Pitt were dominating 1A in the 90`s. They didn`t run off, they just worked harder. Perry County and TCA have long been weak teams in 1A yet in the last few years they are getting better. Both have started the year off at 2-0.

Lake County was once a pretty good 1A power yet they have fallen off the radar screen. Is this the fault of private schools? NO They have a hard time winning against anyone. To blame this on private schools is not right. Bad coaching is what got lake County down, not private schools and certainly not the school bus.

When a private school beats a public school, it is not simply a case of the public should work harder. Regardless of how hard you work, you're not going to beat recruited players on a regular basis. And size of the school doesn't matter. If a small private school recruits 6-8 D1 caliber players, not many public schools are going to be successful against them.

And this talk about public school coaches "not liking" private schools is absurd. It is not an issue of not liking a school. It is an issue of playing schools who are bound by the same constraints as you. That's not rocket science.

In South Carolina, the private schools formed their own league YEARS ago. It never has been a question of publics not liking privates. They simply had separate leagues. How do you figure fans get cheated by that arrangement? It is so obvious that I don't see why all the debate. Public schools and private schools are two different creatures....and should compete as such.

There are private schools that I pull for and public schools that I pull for, also. I certainly have nothing against private schools, but fair is fair.

When a private school beats a public school, it is not simply a case of the public should work harder. Regardless of how hard you work, you're not going to beat recruited players on a regular basis. And size of the school doesn't matter. If a small private school recruits 6-8 D1 caliber players, not many public schools are going to be successful against them.

And this talk about public school coaches "not liking" private schools is absurd. It is not an issue of not liking a school. It is an issue of playing schools who are bound by the same constraints as you. That's not rocket science.

In South Carolina, the private schools formed their own league YEARS ago. It never has been a question of publics not liking privates. They simply had separate leagues. How do you figure fans get cheated by that arrangement? It is so obvious that I don't see why all the debate. Public schools and private schools are two different creatures....and should compete as such.

There are private schools that I pull for and public schools that I pull for, also. I certainly have nothing against private schools, but fair is fair.

Inot2bad...if it`s all about playing by the same constraints as you state, then how come schools like Milan aren`t being voted out? Milan has their own school district in Gibson County. Now let`s look at that....Kids that live in the county go to Gibson County. Kids that live in Milan go to Milan. BUT...Milan also accepts kids from outside the city of Milan allowing county kids to go there. I believe Milan was 10-0 last year while Gibson County was 0-10. Now if your kid lived in Gibson County and was a good football player, where would you send him? I think you see my point.

It`s very obvious that Milan doesn`t operate under the same "constraints" most other 2A schools. Yet no one says a word about Milan. Milan has had a very successful program over the years. They have been just as good if not better than USJ`s program. They have even won state championships. You have to be crazy when you say this is not a vendetta against private schools. It has nothing whatsoever to do with fairness my friend. You can say what you want, but it won`t change the fact that public school coaches simply do not like losing to private schools.

Do you think Milan and other charter, open zone, magnet schools are operating under the same constraints as other schools? GET REAL! It`s obvious they are not yet it`s only private schools that are being kicked out. Take time to look at what you say. you`ll soon see the truth of the matter. It`s obvious whether you`ll admit it or not.

Oh I could go on...Maryville, Tyner, Various Memphis city schools(basketball) I could show how those schools don`t operate under the same "contraints" as well, but it wouldn`t matter to you or to public school coaches in Tennessee, because the only ones they are out to get is private schools.

SAME CONSTRAINTS!!!!!! Are you kidding me????? LOL!

If a small private school recruits 6-8 D1 caliber players, not many public schools are going to be successful against them.

I'd like to know what private school has 6-8 D1 caliber players?

I know that the best player in the state goes to Tyner and Melrose has 3 D1 athletes in Antonio Heffner, Elix Wilson, and their RB. Whitehaven had 14 players play college football two years ago and Hillsboro has had some great college prospects the last few years as well.

Name the school please.

This is TN, not South Carolina, their education problems are not like ours.

What is a public-private discussion without including the magnet schools?

Anyone ever tried training an elephant, I mean VolGen?

Stan....It`s the whole crux of my point of view. Public school coaches say that private schools are different. All schools are different. I don`t mind the idea of looking to make things more fair(which is what public school coaches "say" they are doing) but the shallowness of public school coaches show when their solution is to just split public and private schools is ridiculous and it shows their true intent and that is to get rid of private schools.

Whenever a multiplier is talked of, you can bet that someone will say that it will only get 2A and 3A coaches mad. Well I don`t think the TSSAA is here to babysit coaches who are afraid of getting beat.

Let`s look at all issues if we are going to make changes. Urban/rural, open/closed zones etc...It`s obvious now that public school coaches only want to deal with privates. They don`t give a darn if a school like Milan can get kids from all over their county nor do they care if Memphis schools can transfer basketball players all over town. Let`s just get rid of the private schools.

Some may not like the fact that I bring out the hypocrasy of the public school coaches, but it`s the truth.

I don't know how many of you read the imterview with Hillsboro coach Ron Aydellot that is linked on CoachT's first page. Here is a quote:

"I have had a great group of kids who were not zoned to this school, but the parents put them here. A lot of parents went here, and they are bringing their kids here. It has become a private-type of school thing where some parents do not think their kids are safe going to a certain school. In a metro system, these types of things will happen.

Same thing happens at Hunters Lane High School. Same thing happens at Hillwood High School. Same thing happens at Overton High School. I could name great players who played at those schools who were zoned to go to other schools."

Interesting. He also mentioned that Hillsboro has a had as many as 16 football players that were "out of zone". Is it a coincidence that Maryville and Hillsboro fight it out for top spot in 4A? Why is this different than what a Private school does?

Oh itzme...your gonna get blasted now! You`ve went and brought logic into this argument and the whiners can`t stand that. I think most of them have tucked thier tails and ran now though.

Interesting comments by the Hillsboro coach. I wish someone can explain to me how it is fair for a 4A team like JCM to compete against schools in 4A like Hillsboro and Maryville that can get kids from out of zone like that. Mind you I`m not complaining, but if you can kick out private schools for being set up that way then why not open zoned public schools? Oh I guess someone will now try and tell everyone something absurd like Hillsboro operates under the same "constraints" as JCM.

Oh I forgot this is just a vendetta against private schools. Public coaches don`t mind being hypocrites.