Unaka over King's Academy

krichunaka

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lastword for pointing this Logic out about players playing the "other sports." Take what you have, develop it to be the best it can be (this takes hard work and commitment).

I agree with you, at least for the most part. If a person wants to commit all his time to basketball, baseball, ect. thats great. That will help them become a better player in that sport and that will help the school in its own way. But the other side of the argument has a point to. Think, if you will, for just a second, when was the last time you herd of a basketball or baseball player doing great every game, and when was the last time you herd of a great player coming from Unaka's football team. It seems all the great, all-state players steer away from football... And I am not picking sides either!

And FINALLY!!!

Tonight I will thread on the Unaka vs Twin Springs game; and maybe, just maybe we can talk about that, and only that.

All the unsolcited advice, put downs, etc, certainly do the players no good, especially when it comes from self-promoting wise folks; those with so many years of knowledge show much immaturity simply by posting out of context.

Thankya.

I have been away from Coach T for quiet some time but upon the urging of Krichunaka I logged on to read this thread. My posts will be very few if any. While there are many pros and cons within this thread the one thing I feel that is lacking in football at Unaka is fan support from the students and fellow athletes. Just because a kid is 6'5 and 250 or runs the 100-yard dash in 10.5 does it make him a good football players. If your heart is not into something then you will not be very good at it. You will also hurt the team if you don't want to be there.

But the one thing that every student and student athlete could do that would help the Ranger football program is offer ecouragement to the players. Attend the games. Wear your maroon. Tailgate! Have pep rallys on Thursday nights. These kids are giving their all to try and turn a program around. While they might not be a Cloudland or a Greenback in Class A their efforts are just as good as any team across the state. Sometimes character is not measured by the number of wins or losses a team has but by the way they improve over the course of a season and the extra effort that they put forth.

There is nothing wrong with a kid wanting to play only one or two sports in high school. Some kids might have plans to play sports in college and that is great but remember everyone can be supportive. My son wanted to play football but because of a medical problem he was not allowed to. He is lucky to have basketball and baseball to fall back on. His plans are to play sports in college. He was all-state last season in baseball and the leading scorer in East Tennessee in basketball. But the thing that I am most proud of is that every Friday night, he is on the sideline offering encouragement to his Ranger teammates. He would love to play in a game but can't do so. He could be somewhere else on Friday nights but loves the guys that play on his team and chooses to be with them. He wants those kids to win just like he wants to win in basketball and baseball. I encourage all the athletes at Unaka, if you can't support the team by playing, at least support them with kind words, encouragement, and your attendance at the games.

I am very proud of these kids and the great job they do regardless of what their record might be. Let's give them the support that they so richly deserve.

Edited by coachtdog